• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blood Trails and the 6.5 Creedmoor. Your Experience?

Ocean_Dweller

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
In a perfect world, we squeeze the trigger and our game drops instantly, but that doesn't always happen. My 2 go to cartridges have always been the .308 Win and .270 WSM and I've never had a problem with either of these. So 3 seasons ago, I bought my son a Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor and we're still both on the fence as to how good of a deer round it is. We typically hunt creek bottoms and hardwoods, so if a deer runs, a blood trail becomes a necessity. He's now harvested 3 bucks using 2 different bullets with the same result on perfect broadside shots, little to no blood trail. The bullets used so far are the Berger 135 Classic Hunter and a Sierra 140 GK. Luckily, none of the deer have gone very far and all have been recovered but, this definitely doesn't inspire confidence.

Coincidentally, a few of the guys at our hunting camp have been complaining about the same thing, phenomenal accuracy, but little to no blood. So I'm curious as to what you're experience has been with the 6.5 on game and if there's another bullet out there that I should be trying. Thanks.

Shoot them here with a 223 or a 50bmg and they drop. This was with a 6.5 creedmoor. This is where I shoot everything regardless of species so I cannot comment on blood trails. Point of the shoulder/base of the neck.

32486B10-49AB-409F-8083-9FC0887D32EA.jpeg

I use the 140gr ELDM. DRT with it at 450 yds and 400 yds. one was DRT, one made it 10 yds... So, no answers. 1st year hunting with the ELDM and was happy.

Have one bud who has had trouble with the ELDX.

Have also used the AMAX with another buddy on a hunt and he was using the ELDX.
One, my deer dropped in 20 yds. his in 75-80. Basic Doe mule deer hunt. almost exact same hit

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Shoot them here with a 223 or a 50bmg and they drop. This was with a 6.5 creedmoor. This is where I shoot everything regardless of species so I cannot comment on blood trails. Point of the shoulder/base of the neck.

View attachment 7899488
Are you poaching or did you buy a license from the government?🤔

Well, under our belt we have double lung 308 at 250 yards, 6.5 cm single lung 260 yards, 30prc near the spine 350 yards, 6.5cm 473 yards double lung,6.5 cm double lung 360
Yards and 22-250 heart/lung. The 308 he ran 35 yards, the 22-250 ran 15’, the 300 prc was a bad shot placement and it was still alive but crippled, all the 6.5 cm have reared and died right away. More than likely shot placement has more to do than caliber.

Reactions: TACC and eca7891
Shot placement...bullet construction. Both are superior to cartridge/caliber selection.

You want a good blood trail? Get a bullet that is designed to exit, and not come apart and dump all of its energy into the target.

While the 135gr Berger and 140gr SGK can leave fantastic exit wounds, that isn't their intended purpose. Stick with an all copper monolithic or bonded bullet.

Last edited:
"Deadliest mushroom in the woods"...

The described bullets worked as intended, dumping energy for massive internal damage to the vitals. If that's not what the user wants, a different bullet is required.

I believe this is more about bullet selection. Once it’s left the barrel at a similar velocity, it makes no difference if it was a CM, 260 Rem, or a swede.

15 years ago I settled on 120 grain Nosler B T’s in my 6.5x284. Run these about 3125-3150. Accurate and performance has been great. A dozen antelope out to 475 yards and as many mule and whitetail deer later, I’ve not had to track anything.

Since this is the 2nd thread on the subject....
You do know that thousands and thousands of deer have been taken (and poached) with a .22LR, right ?
A buddy got one with a pellet gun, Said it ran about 10 yds. Placement

Reactions: TACC
In a perfect world, we squeeze the trigger and our game drops instantly, but that doesn't always happen. My 2 go to cartridges have always been the .308 Win and .270 WSM and I've never had a problem with either of these. So 3 seasons ago, I bought my son a Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor and we're still both on the fence as to how good of a deer round it is. We typically hunt creek bottoms and hardwoods, so if a deer runs, a blood trail becomes a necessity. He's now harvested 3 bucks using 2 different bullets with the same result on perfect broadside shots, little to no blood trail. The bullets used so far are the Berger 135 Classic Hunter and a Sierra 140 GK. Luckily, none of the deer have gone very far and all have been recovered but, this definitely doesn't inspire confidence.

Coincidentally, a few of the guys at our hunting camp have been complaining about the same thing, phenomenal accuracy, but little to no blood. So I'm curious as to what you're experience has been with the 6.5 on game and if there's another bullet out there that I should be trying. Thanks.
Sounds like your shots are relatively close range, so if you want good expansion AND a good exit, try the plain Jane 129gr Hornady Interlock.

John

Reactions: RPN and wade2big

View attachment 7899488
I shoot the white patch on the neck just below the head, blows out the neck, regardless of caliber, i don't chase deer that have been shot.

What does the exit look like? Are the bullets not performing? I couldn’t imagine the cartridge making much difference.
On the deer he's shot, all 3 have had pencil holed exits. One bullet that has surprised me is the Sierra 165 GKHP in .308. It's consistently left softball sized exits for me and a buddy of mine.

I believe this is more about bullet selection. Once it’s left the barrel at a similar velocity, it makes no difference if it was a CM, 260 Rem, or a swede.

15 years ago I settled on 120 grain Nosler B T’s in my 6.5x284. Run these about 3125-3150. Accurate and performance has been great. A dozen antelope out to 475 yards and as many mule and whitetail deer later, I’ve not had to track anything.
Maybe that's the ticket, I've been pretty much sticking to bullets in the 135-140 gr class thinking that lighter bullets would perform even less.

On the deer he's shot, all 3 have had pencil holed exits. One bullet that has surprised me is the Sierra 165 GKHP in .308. It's consistently left softball sized exits for me and a buddy of mine.

Maybe that's the ticket, I've been pretty much sticking to bullets in the 135-140 gr class thinking that lighter bullets would perform even less.
I have tipped game kings, been curious how they work on game. I shot a deer with match king and it was like it drilled a hole through the lungs, but it hit a rib on the way out and that was literally fist sized hole. Unfortunately i have lost the exit wound pic, sigh
682266F0-DA6F-4A98-998D-C5E23B2F6294.jpeg

That’s very dangerous, you’ll blow the lungs right out of the body…
Yes sir. Brandon said so. Also just get a double barrel shotgun and fire it off your balcony. Oh, I'm sorry you're a poor and don't have a balcony so just shoot it at the trailer next door. Hey, maybe it's a meth lab anyhow.;)

A buddy got one with a pellet gun, Said it ran about 10 yds. Placement
Actually, I’ve heard of that happening. A guy in Casper shot one with his air rifle to get it out of his garden. It died in his yard and of course, out of season.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
Actually, I’ve heard of that happening. A guy in Casper shot one with his air rifle to get it out of his garden. It died in his yard and of course, out of season.
I hope he cleaned it and put it in the freezer. Not legal but....
It’s not illegal to eradicate pests but you aren’t “supposed” to keep the meat.

I’ve commented on the other threads about this but will add here as well. We shoot crop damage. Basically now til October taking out deer in farm fields through DNR. We have A LOT of experience with caliber/bullet on whitetail deer. My personal uses and opinions are,

223/556- Have killed a decent handful of deer many years ago. Mainly head shots. Worked excellent for that application. Most kills inside 200 yards

6.5CM- Honestly left much to be desired. Using 143 ELDX. We run the same bullets in the 260’s. Some impressive blood trails but mainly a lot of what the op experienced. Deer that would run and be hard to track. I also shot many deer with the SMK in the 260 longest being 1,121 yards. Similar maybe slightly worse results than the 143 ELDX. Most kills 100-500 yards. Several over 600 yards.

308- This is our main round. We run about 8 rifles chambered in 308. All using the 178 ELDX, 165 sst or 150sst. Have also used some Sierra game kings as well as match kings. All killed deer but the smk would rank worse for me. Either it left little to no blood or blew apart and usually resulted in lots of damage. The Game kings did what they’re designed to do. I’d rank them with the performance of a Rem corelok bullet. The 178 ELDX have been absolutely awesome. They don’t seem to be picky on speed. If the deer doesn’t drop it usually leaves a blood trail you can sprint down to find the deer. Most kills 100-500 yards. Longest being over 800 with a decent amount over 600.

300 WM- Run a couple of these. My personal favorite is 200 ELDX bullets. These bullets just plain kill shit. I have a Tikka T3X running 178 ELDX that did great on a couple 8 pt bucks in November last year. But not much experience beyond that with the tikka. This gun mostly saw fields shooting 300-700 yards. Where it performed excellent

338 Lapua- Ran 300 grain SMK bullets. Very mixed results. Most kills were 300-700 yards. Longest was right at 1,000 yards. Some pin hole in pin hole out. Some would take half the shoulder out. Just depends what the bullet hit

Keep in mind the SMK are not designed for deer, we no longer use them and based on my results would not recommend them in anything

The ELDX in 178 and 200 grain have been the most consistent. The performance doesn’t seem to be as effected by speed based on my results. I’ll be running 212 ELDX in a 300 PRC soon pending they shoot well

The SST and Sierra game kings performed great. But rarely do we shoot over 200 with those. Mostly used in cheaper platforms that go out in inclement weather or in the AR10’s.

I have yet to see a 6.5 round impress me enough inside 700 yards vs a 30 cal variant to make a switch. I do prefer the 6.5/260 for targets. Especially over 800+ yards. I think it shines there.

Just my experience in last 15 years of crop damage with 34 kills over 600 yards (two over 1,000) on what I’ve seen performance wise. I would select 308 before 6.5 and 300 before 308 if I want the extra distance. Shooting AR10’s from RR and Armalite and bolt guns ranging from Ruger American and savage 10’s to several AI platforms

But I do bench 300, worked in a bit of concrete a few weeks ago and have something like 8-10 bow kills. So take my advice for what it’s worth 😁

These threads are stupid. I've been hunting deer all my life and the generations before me have too. My father, uncles, grandfather, etc.

I started out as a kid with a 270 because that's what my dad would use. Up to today, I've used 270, 308, 6.5, 22lr, 7 rem mag, 300rum, 270wby, and 243. A huge percentage though, have been with 270 and 6.5 comes in as runner up.

I've seen perfect heart shots with a 270 and the deer ran about 200 yards in the thick south texas brush before it fell down to its death. I've seen 6.5 pencil through and still have the deer down inside 30 yards from where it was shot. I've seen 6.5 DRT results. I've seen 270 DRT results. I've seen anything and everything.

If you're a hunter and you're only expecting one outcome, whether that is all DRT shots or all massive blood trails, you should look for a new sport.

It is impossible for every single shot to be identical. Sometimes you hit rib bone, sometimes you don't, sometimes you hit shoulder blade, sometimes you don't. Even if you always find a way not to hit bone (or always hit the same bone), it's impossible to have the exact same result 100% of the time.

As a hunter, you should expect to go into the woods tracking your animal down (yes, even with a perfectly placed shot) with or with no blood trail. That's what creates excitement sometimes. Shit, that's how we've created memories. I remember hunting with my dad and grandpa, sometimes cousins and uncles too and we would split up and go into the brush looking for our harvest.

Now, if you found a Bullet that seems to produce decent results for you in your 270WSM, maybe you should try that same bullet across all cartridges. For example, if a federal fusion did good for you with your 270, it's probably going to work similarly in your 6.5 since the bullet construction is designed the same.

To say that 6.5 sucks entirely as a cartridge for deer and 308 & 270WSM are tits is dumb.

Reactions: wade2big
Just get a Weiner Dog. he will find your pinholed, poor shot placement deer.

I use the 120 grain Barnes TTSX in my ,260 with great results. Never had one go more than about 25 yards, and most DRT. Sometimes a blood trail Ray charles could follow, but mostly DRT.

.264 Win Mag, all DRT with Berger Hybrid Hunter 140 grain.

308 Win or .280 Ackley would be my personal favorite.

Reactions: Jgunner
In the dozen or so deer my kid and i shot with the 143ELDx in 6.5cm, we have not seen a lot of blood. Rarely getting a exit on a body shot. They kill very well, but don't hold together so well. They shot very well in both of our guns so I bought a bunch, and we are still working through my stock. Otherwise I'd probably try the 129gr LRX and hope it would hold together better.