• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blown ejection plunger

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
I finally got my Savage 10fp in 308 back. Got a choate stock ( not my first choice) and my SS 5-20X30 HD on it and went to the range.

I was just looking to zero the scope and try out the stock. I ran some federal mil spec 147 grain ammo trough it and all was good. My last group was about 3/4 inches at 100.

I then put some Winchester Power Max hunting ammo ( I got an antelope tag) to compare zeros. The recoil felt a little harsher and it blew the primer out it the case. No other signs of overpressure. I loaded up another and no problems. The third round was kinda like the first and now the ejector won't eject. It jammed the plunger in the hole.

Come to find out some of the rounds are about 5 thousand longer than the lead.

Long way around to the question but, is this a common occurrence with the Savage or with other brands of rifles?

I've had long mil surplus bullets create overpressure in my Winchester model 70 and it was just fine.

Re: Blown ejection plunger

Sounds like what you experienced was a quality control issue with your factory ammo. It happens more often than you might think.

Start hand loading or find a buddy with experience that will let you use his once in a while.

I do hand load but I didn't get a chance to make any ammo do to work and all. I'll have to check AOL on all brands from now on. I could have done that but I didn't.

$100 bucks for this set up is sounding good right about now. I'll even toss in free shipping.

Your problem is not with the rifle. The problem is with the ammo. It was over pressure. What happened to your Savage will happen to any rifle with the same ejector design. When the cartridge is fired and there is too much pressure, the brass on the head of the case flows...When this brass flows it has to go somewhere. Where it goes is the clearance between the ejector and bolt body. This extra metal takes up the clearance making the ejector plunger stick in the retracted position.

I understand it was over pressure for the ammo.

Is the design on the Savage different from others and more prone to getting stuck in the retracted position.

This rifle does have, or is developing a bit of a black cloud and most problems are not directly related to the rifle itself. a few but mostly its been things like bad ammo or crappy scopes and trips back and forth to the gunsmith for things not "savage" related

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyrolater</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is the design on the Savage different from others and more prone to getting stuck in the retracted position.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to your Savage will happen to any rifle with the same ejector design. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's Not Uncommon, I have seen a few Savages do it when Primers blow. Not a big deal to replace... </div></div>

it is kind of a big deal because I can't get the plunger out. Savage says I need to check or redo the head space if I change the bolt face so that will be a pain.

Lil penetrating Oil and lots of tapping on a hard surface...

what happens is you Cook the Spring, it ends up in the detent that holds the Ejector in. Just tap it on counter top a while, it will come out.

Do the penetrating oil...then, as was recommended to me here on the Hide...use a flat ended punch a tiny bit smaller on the end than the ejector, place it against the stuck ejector and tap, tap, tap...lightly. It will usually pop out without harm. Change the spring. Change the ammo. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lil penetrating Oil and lots of tapping on a hard surface...
what happens is you Cook the Spring, it ends up in the detent that holds the Ejector in. Just tap it on counter top a while, it will come out. </div></div>
Exactly!! Once it pops back out it's a breeze to replace the spring. And as 762 stated this same problem can and does happen to any rifle with the same ejector design, as in push feed M70's and any M700. I'd shitcan that ammo and just roll your own.

Some rifles cook the Firing Pin, Some trash the Extractor, Savages cook a .39 ejector spring, leaving the rifle in usable shape.... I like that. I have never had one do it, I have worked on them that did. All were from blown Primers. That shit HAS to go Somewhere ! Avoid OverPressure Ammo and the problem ceases to exist.

I tried light oil and working the ejector last night. I'll try penetration oil tonight and work on it some more.

I think I'll by a couple of spares too.

I had it happen at a match on my M700. The match director popped it out with a knife blade. Still using the same spring some 2K rounds later. AG

I haven't played with the savage, but if it is anything like a Remington, the ejector tries to take a bite out of the retaining roll pin. It leaves a flat in the roll pin which side loads the ejector in the compressed position. If the oil doesn't work, try pushing the retaining pin out slightly. The spring and ejector should be fine.

Had that happen with my Remington ejector and I used my impact bullet puller to smack the face of the bolt to pop it out. Worked for me.

No luck getting the ejector out. I did get a fairly good bit on it with a pair of pliers and that thing does not want to come out.

Looks like a new bolt face and ejector. I'll have to order some spars for next time.

Thanks for the help and info.

I don't want this to sound like I'm being a smartass but did you drive the ejector retaining pin out? If the ejector is sticking out far enough to get pliers on it then it should come right out, IF you've driven the pin out.