• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blue sky .243 rifle

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Bit of a slow day today so I'm thinking about a new project for next year - a .243WIN rifle for paper punching at 300,600,900 and 1000yds (107 Scenar, 105 SMK's or 115DTAC, yet to decide...).

Got some outline ideas on spec but would welcome some input.

Barrel: custom 1 in 8" twist, Bartlein 5R or Border stainless, fluted.

Length: 24" or 26"....not sure what is best here!

Muzzle break: Badger FTE or AAC 51T - want this to be a real LOW recoil rifle.

Action: GAP Templar or Surgeon

Stock: McM M40-A5/Bagder M5 BDM pillar bedded or AICS 2 Folder

Trigger: open to suggestions. Have an AW in .308 and like the feel of that trigger but could go for something lighter (say down to around 2.5lb?)

Glass: S&B 5-25 or USO SN3 5-25

Or...do I just go for the DT SRS in 243???

Re: Blue sky .243 rifle

1 in 8" might be a touch slow if you shoot in cold weather, going with a 7.5 will hedge your bet. I would also stick with a longer barrel in the .243 and go with the 26. I dont know about the other brake but I want to beat people that shoot next to me on a relay using the FTE. The thruster is just as effective and nowhere near as nasty to your neighbors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thruster is just as effective and nowhere near as nasty to your neighbors.
</div></div>

That is what I have on my 243 done by GAP and makes the 243 a SOFT shooting rifle.

Your list looks like a good start.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help and comments.

What trigger should I spec....was thinking about a Jewell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What trigger should I spec....was thinking about a Jewell?
</div></div>

Jewell makes a good trigger, but I have seen them fail in the field. Dirt gets in the trigger housing and after a while the trigger will start to act up. I had a chance to look at the Huber trigger and that looks like a pretty good set-up. From what I understand they are sealed.

I put a Huber into my milsurp 98k and it has been great.

Have read LL's test of the Huber and it sounds pretty good.

I definitely want a two stage, adjustable.

Most of my triggers are around a 3.5-4lb weight, the only exception is my Anschutz rimfire.

Could be interesting to try something lighter, maybe the mid-weight version

I am in the process of building a "budget" 600-1000yrd .243 rifle.

Here is my shopping list:

Savage (gasp...my first one) model 12 LRPV single shot in .223 w/ 1:7 twist barrel. Will be shooting 77grn bullets till the .243 barrel shows up.
McGowen 26" SS barrel with 1:7 twist and removable brake making the barrel 28" overall...8 flutes,etc.
20 MOA base
Either Warren rings or MK 4's I have laying around.
Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X scope
Misc. small parts.

Total about $2100.00

I have a bunch of 105 Amax, 105 Scenar's 107 SMK's, 115 DTAC's, and 115 VLD for my other .243's plus a bunch of Lapua brass. This is why I went with a .243 build.
Thinking down the road I will get a 6mmBR barrel if this one shoots good.

Good luck on your build...post what you come up with.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 8" might be a touch slow if you shoot in cold weather, going with a 7.5 will hedge your bet. </div></div>

Thanks Norcal.

Is that 1 in 7.5" going to work well with the 107 Scenars, 105 SMK's and the 115 DTAC?

On the muzzle brake, I really want to go for something that is removable. Some people (at least here in the UK) can get a bit difficult about shooting next to rifles with brakes......

BgBmBoo, You know your gonna have to open up that bolt face or get a new bolt to change from a 223 to a 243? I'm sure you have thought of this,but I'm just making sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BgBmBoo, You know your gonna have to open up that bolt face or get a new bolt to change from a 223 to a 243? I'm sure you have thought of this,but I'm just making sure. </div></div>

Yep...have a new bolt face on the way too.

Take care,Stan

The 1:7.5 will work just fine with the 115 as well as the others. You could have a problem with the really light 55gr varmint stuff coming apart in flight but shoot the 75 or 87s and your fine with those.

I have to say I was going with a 1:8 but my smith advised the 1:7.5 because if I shoot in cold weather or lighter loads I might see some instability. Im pretty sure I could have run the 1:8 and been fine but listened to my smith.

My specs are a Surgeon round, brux heavy palma, SSG Vport brake, BC light tactical, CDI bottom metal, surgeon base, TPS rings and a Falcon 4x14 FFP for about $2500 ready to shoot.

Thanks again Norcal.

Once you open a thread there is so much info that comes in it starts opening up all sorts of new routes.....muzzle brakes for instance! Tried a search on "brake".....think I don't have enough time left on the planet to read/research it all!

From what I'd read I was pretty interested in the FTE (a bit BIG but seems to be really effective) or the AAC 51T - looks compact and seems to get a good report from the Valkyrie build thread.

Hadn't heard of the SSG or the APA Little and Fat Bastard...but they look pretty interesting too!

I dont know anything about what you have in the battery as far as sticks go but I just did 280 Ai with a 28 in tube and I got to tell you it is LOOONNNGGG. If you plan to move with it any or shoot it anywhere other than on a solid static bench I would talor my load to the barrel I would use the most. I thought I wanted a long barreled rig but while it is light enough it is a pain in the ass. I want to build one exactly like you are talking about but I will have a 20 in tube on it. 243 or 6/6.5x45 or maybe 243 ai. A big long barrel is cool but it sucks not to want to get it out of the safe. The good part is that it is moving 162 amaxes at 3140 with still no pressure signs at all. Thats me. Only 2 cents?

Todd, thanks for the input.

I agree on overall length.

My AIAW .308 has a 26" barrel plus the AI standard muzzle brake (adds about another 1" to the barrel length when fitted). With 155 Scenars and 175SMKs this will make the distance at 1000yds.

Overall rifle length is 46.5". I wouldn't want to go longer than this or the barrel length.

Most of what I read seems to suggest a long (i.e. 26" or longer) barrel for .243WIN.....although I'd like to know more about GAP George's .243 spec!

I'm more than happy to look at shorter if I can get the distance without adverse effects on accuracy.

Im running 26" and 22" surgeons.I'm kinda wishing I could add 4 inches to my short one,It says no to reloader 25.It just won't burn anything but H4350 and not look like a fireball.
My 26",on the other hand,shoots great with reloader 25 and has no recoil. I know it's an odd number but 25" may be almost perfect. But I'm gonna stick with 26.

That's pretty much the conclusion I'd already reached but thanks for the advice. Are you using a muzzle brake of any sort on that 26"?