• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blue Wonder

Re: Blue Wonder

Used it. Lots of work, gives a gold/blue hue when finished.
Go over that with Birchwood Casey Cold Blue and it gives a really deep blue-black luster finish that's durable; much better than either product used alone.

I use it and it works. When the surface is just bluing it can be too far gone for it to work properly. I found that when the surface is pretty rusted a brass brush with this stuff works best. Then it will be covered in brass, but that can be easily removed.

What I've noticed is that this stuff works miracles on parkerized or phosphate coated stuff that is showing rust and patina. It worked great on my A1 upper.

I appreciate all of the input guys. I have approximately 20 rifles and shotguns to do, and I hated to think about all of the time involved in cold blue or all of the $$$ involved in hot blue. It may be cheaper to build myself an oven and use duracoat. I've got a gallon of the stuff. Just never got around to building an oven. Of course, the shotguns and a few collectables I plan to keep original.

Do the Duracoat. Blue Wonder is fine for patching but doesn't hold up well in my experience. Brownell's OXPHO blue is a good cold/warm blue that is a phosphatizing coating that with care can give a durable coat. If you have that many to do, I still have to give the nod to Duracoating. JMHO

Sorry to hear that 20 of your guns are damaged. I am not a fan of cold bluing and entire gun. I think cold blue is for touching up small areas or scratches and in that case I agree that brownells OXPHO blue is the best. Hot bluing give a durable and usually even finish that I just dont feel cold blue can accomplish. If you have that many guns and dont want to pay for refinishing then I feel Duracoat might be your best bet.