• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing BLUEING question

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
So I have come across a Gold Cup like the one below.(photo as reference only.) The blueing on the pistol has some pitting at very rear of slide, about 3mm diameter. If I were to have the slide re-blued, would the gold inlays be ruined? Could/Would they be re-done?

pix289663081.jpg

Has anyone utilized Colt and their refinishing services? How is their customer service if I go that route? There is someone local-ish to me that appears to do good blueing work too.

I'd appreciate any input the members here have.

TIA!

-G45

Re: BLUEING question

You could tape the slide off and lightly blast the rear where the rust is forming. Brownells sells some cold blueing kits that should be easy to apply. The brushed/polished surface would be more difficult to correct, especially with the gold inlay.

I would send it to Colt. It's not that they need to be awesome at hot bluing, they need to be phenomenal at the prep and polishing

In my experience and from others I have talked with, cold bluing will not give you matching results. I would check into hot bluing.