• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blueprinting and barreling Howa and Tikka actions

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

So far I've found Roedale Precision, who can blueprint and rebarrel both Howa and Tikka actions, and Mtguns, who does work on Tikkas, but who else (gunsmith) does truing and rebarreling work on Howa 1500s and Tikka T3s? Thanks.

Re: Blueprinting and barreling Howa and Tikka actions

Oh good... Nothing against Roedale but with shipping overseas both ways, plus the current currency exchange rate I was hoping for someone closer to home for custom work.

Scimitar...
I have a Howa 1500 that I was looking to get worked on. What work did GA Precision perform on your Howa and how well does it shoot. Was the price and turn around time satisfactory? Thanks for any info...

I sent an email to GAP regarding their blueprinting, chamber and crown barrel work and whether they would perform that work on Tikka T3s... Still waiting reply... Will call them this week if no response. If they can do it that would seal the deal on my next rifle purchase.

I had Krieger rebarrel one of my Howas and I have another Howa that they did. Both are shooters(.5 moa) and I like the Krieger barrels. I would not hesitate to have them do another.

The Tikka T3 is a fairly straight forward job to do and certainly one of the easiest.
The Howa is similar to doing a Remington.

Both are usualy straighter and true-er than a 700 but still need a true up.

Its an interesting thought, cross atlantic riflesmithing trade.. ha ha.

The hassle of sending a rifle back and forth from the US to Germany wouldn't be impossible, but the cost would be better spent in the rifle and have one of the better riflesmiths and there are a few on here all very capable of doing the job.

The strength of the € at the moment makes it maybe a little more expensive on a 1 to 1 comparison with the same rifle here. And European customers always frown at the difference in prices from the USA to here.

But in that you have to factor in the added costs we have to complete the build.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Proof. </span> costs 100€ all in if you courier 1 rifle to proof and back.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel.</span> if its not a German made barrel, you have 5% import, 19% VAT and the international shipping on top of what the same barrel would cost a smith in the USA.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock: </span>you have 5% import, 19% VAT and the international shipping on top of what the same stock would cost a smith in the USA.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Coating:</span> again, if the coating product is made in the USA, you have 5% import, 19% VAT and the international shipping plus whatever the European supplyer makes as a profit.

same goes for bases, rings, triggers. then you have to factor the time it takes to go to the customs depot to pick incomming kit up, thats a good half a days job.

Thats just the cost on the parts, factor in the high price of Income tax, property tax, health insurance, fuel, and other overheads etc and it becomes apparent that 1 for 1 much kit is more expensive here in the EU.(there are some exeptions)

Having said that, we try and keep our prices pretty much inline with what the same thing would cost on the US market.
The major hassle for us is getting regular punctual supply of kit made outside the EU. Especialy from the USA, and the doubts on how much longer we will actualy be able to get anything out of the USA.
There is a definate trend at the moment towards "We'll make it our selves" Ive seen at least 3 direct copies of the Badger mag system here in Europe, rifle actions similar to the surgeon actions and a few other configurations are also appearing, Very much lacking is a EU Composit Stock manufacturer that can prduce the styles and models required, hence we rely pretty much on US Supply.

For us Europeans at the moment buying in the UK is a steal, 15% VAT and the pound down at a very low exchange rate, you've got plane loads of women going shoe shopping over in Blighty !! same goes for shooters, many are buying Optics and Gadgets from the UK at the moment at prices that are less than we get trade on the continent.

Swings and roundabouts.. bit off topic but an insight into our daily bread.. Pete

Thanks Pete for the break down!

If not for the extra cost involved I wouldn't think twice about sending you work, since good gunsmiths who true/specialize Howa and Tikka actions are somewhat difficult to locate, or I'm just not asking the right questions or looking in the right places.

But, since you guys are the only people I know making AI chassis for Tikkas and Howas, you've got the market cornered!
smile.gif
I just have to pay attention to the exchange rates every day to get a good deal.
smile.gif

I may just get a Tikka heavy barrel and shoot it until money is saved for other stuff. From most accounts they will shoot pretty accurate out of the box because of good action and good barrel.

Pete, is the Tikka barrel threaded in? I read somewhere that they glue it in or something...

Pac-Nor does for one, but most any smith on here could. For the Howa that is.

Pete what is your typical shipping charge to California for the RCS? I just realized there is a 19% tax included which does not apply to us in the US and all of a sudden the RCS is starting to come into price range.
smile.gif

Tikka is not glued, it is threaded,of the top of my head its 1"x16TPI, (or the metric equivalent, i'll check and post for definate later, we get so many different barrel thread specs that i cant keep em all in my grey matter)

Pete, i thought it was plain enough to read on ouur webshop. all non EU customers do not pay the 19% Tax. If you log in from outside the EU you are automaticaly shown the tax free prices. This is applicable to all our products.

EU = 19% Tax. Non EU = 0% Tax

shipping and export papers would be 40-50€

regards Pete

That's good to hear. I forgot to specify the Tikka T3 action. I thought that the gluing rumor was really weird.