• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blues music

The D

We’re not supposed to be nice!
Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    We’ve got a metal thread, why not a blues music thread. I’m by no means an expert or historian of blues music but I love it all. I’ll light this candle with a few kind of obscure favorites.

Not exactly blues, more gospel but Sister Rosetta Tharpe is amazing and should be a national treasure

I watched a show a few years ago on Muscle Shoals and how it got famous in blues and other music.

One thing that I thought was funny was the guy that ran the big recording studio would have people call up and say "yea I want to hire/record with that black band yall got down there" and he would say "what black band?"... "ya know, all them black guys yall got down there playing" and he would have to break the news to them it was a bunch of white folk LOL...

Reactions: The D

Anyone here,who has paid attention to my music preferences posted in other threads........should've expected the above Artist to be mentioned in this thread. So ,here ya go.........enjoy

Iffin this one doesn't get you movin..........you're dead,there's no hope for ya

I used to work with a guy that wrote songs and had played with BB King. Sadly he lost his ability to play after a stroke. Always loved hearing him play and sing across the cubicle from me. First time I heard him playing I walked over and he stopped thinking it was annoying me, I told him to keep playing and that I liked it!

So glad nobody beat me to posting this. I love this song

Reactions: stefan73
    Jeep's Blues, Duke Ellington Orchestra, live at Newport 1956, Johnny Hodges on sax :

Fans of the late, great WNOP Jazz Ark, 1962 - 2000, RIP, may shed one tear.

Now it’s kind of a game

Reactions: BLEE
    Ugh.
    The Quinn Sullivan ruining one of the most tasteful songs ever done (Little Wing) turned my freakin stomach.
    Sorry, but true.

Real BLUES should always be guitar heavy, yet soulful.
    You should be able to feel the song as much as hear it.

Too bad this guys time has ended....this is blues.
    Listen to the whole song before thinking otherwise.

If Little Wing has to be done by someone that isn't Hendrix, they should have an ability to play....well.

I’m friends with this band, known them for a few years via my girlfriend. One of the best current Chicago acts. Also note the right handed bass, strung for a right handed player.

Larry Williams Bass Solo

Is that pic taken at the Zoo bar in Lincoln, Nebraska? They have a strong connection to Chicago blues scene.

Stage full of all-stars right here. And I’m not throwin shade on any other blues music but this is real blues, to me. Some crusty old guy or gal, worn out guitar, microphone- that’s it

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: tomcatmv
    Is that pic taken at the Zoo bar in Lincoln, Nebraska? They have a strong connection to Chicago blues scene.
    That video is from Kingston Mines in Chicago. Total tourist trap. The best blues bar I ever saw in this city was across the street; Blues on Halstead. It was exactly what you’d hope for; filthy, cheap booze, great acoustics, and the place all the greats hung out at when they were in Chicago.

Pretty decent collection I listened to this afternoon

Ugh.
    The Quinn Sullivan ruining one of the most tasteful songs ever done (Little Wing) turned my freakin stomach.
    Sorry, but true.

Real BLUES should always be guitar heavy, yet soulful.
    You should be able to feel the song as much as hear it.

Too bad this guys time has ended....this is blues.
    Listen to the whole song before thinking otherwise.

If Little Wing has to be done by someone that isn't Hendrix, they should have an ability to play....well.

Saw him live in Chicago. Came out solo, no backup band whatever, played for an hour. Amazing. Once paired with Clapton with Yardbirds.

Ze Germans like ze blues too

Stage full of all-stars right here. And I’m not throwin shade on any other blues music but this is real blues, to me. Some crusty old guy or gal, worn out guitar, microphone- that’s it

That is the real shizzle right there!!! Thanks for posting!
    Hey mods, can we make a sticky out of this thread??