• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Bluing?

This isn't answering your question...but, if I had an old rifle, I'd consider the reason for re-bluing. If collectable, the re-blue job will remove MOST of the value. If not collectable, the reason for bluing would most likely be appearance or "protection". For those applications IMHO you would be better served by one of the cured coatings...Teflon, Cerakote, or the like. They offer rust and ding protection. Bluing, while traditional, doesn't. Again, JMHO.

I use Mel Doyle in plummer Idaho. I would do as much polishing myself as possible, and expect to get more than half of my c note back. This is for hot blue. I have not seen his rust bluing. Mel does the dips for every smith around here.

As an added bonus, his turn time seems to always be under 2 weeks, often same day.....but that is a talk you have to have with him.

The rifle is a Marline 39A that was give to me by my father, its in pretty ruff shape, stock cracked the finish worn off and most of the metal looks bare with a touch of brown here and there. I spent a few hundred bucks on replacement parts like the stock and forearm and for the ejection components as is was not ejecting well.
So in more or less words this is a restoration of a great little lever action.