• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BMW warranty questions and reliability?

CZp-01

i dindu nuffin
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
S.E. Mass
Wifey is getting ready to buy her first BMW, 2022 540i XDrive CPO w/19k on it. It's always been her dream car to own... I have previously steered her away due to the nightmare stories I've heard about repair costs. We shopped a newer CPO low mileage vehicle to try and avoid the whole extra warranty horseshit.

Here comes the finance guy....

She's pondering the idea of extending the warranty from the dealer 84 months/100k for $4900. They would discount it to $3800 if she bundled it with Ultimate care 5yrs/75k $3800. No discount offered on this one. $7600 Total.
Told us brakes, rotors, wiper blades, spark plugs were covered as well?

Personally, it bugs me that it runs concurrent with the existing CPO warranty.

I did some reading on the ultimate care. It sounds like you're prepaying for repairs in advance?

Also, this needed to be bought at time of purchase? From my digging it appears it can be added before the factory warranty ends.

How well is the car covered with the CPO warranty?

I've dug through some forums and it looks like these coverages can be shopped to other dealers for better pricing?

She drives about 18k a year and will burn through the CPO warranty in less than three years.

How reliable are these cars and is the extra warranty a must have? Considering the rinse and repeat possibility dump it once the CPO warranty is exhausted.

Thanks for any feedback.

As a standard for most German cars, they're disposable somewhere between 80 and 140k.

The exact model and even trim will determine when it's mechanically totalled. If you're not willing to buy the tools and do the work yourself dump it in 3-4 years.

As to warranties and service plans... I hate them.
However, I'm the type that will go buy the tools and fix it myself. So I'm always taking the odds I can fix stuff myself cheaper.

The best thing to convince yourself not to buy one, is look at pricing on a 5 year older one with 100k. Realize what kind of hit you're taking and that the car will be next to worthless.

I have a good friend that is a BMW tech. He has told me countless times to either lease or get rid of them before 100k. He said the old one's last forever. The newer stuff, say mid to late 90's and beyond seem to have built in planned failures.
I think that true of all the German cars from VW on up. They make their gravy off repairs.

Reactions: Milf Dots
The older I get the less status matters to me. Im more about cheap and reliable, related to cars. But, you only get one chance at life. If she wants a BMW, get one. Put the $7k in your pocket, pay the first major bill on a repair, then dump it.

As others have said, avoid them. We have a '14 535i that sits at 120,000 miles, and is turning into a money pit. It was her car before we got married. Unless we become wealthy, there will be no more German cars in the driveway.

The older I get the less status matters to me. Im more about cheap and reliable, related to cars. But, you only get one chance at life. If she wants a BMW, get one. Put the $7k in your pocket, pay the first major bill on a repair, then dump it.
This, 100%. You won’t and shouldn’t talk her out of it, it’s her dream car. I’d skip all service plans and additional warranties, the car itself will talk her out of keeping it after a few years and a couple AAA calls, and she won’t feel as bad ditching it if there’s less money sunk into it and no warranty to rely upon.

Let me get this straight - we're talking about dropping somewhere around $50K on a used car, and then spending another $7600 just to buy the confidence that I can keep it in service out to 100,000 miles?

No.

Save the warranty money and put that money into one of those 4.4% savings accounts or the S&P 500.

If you’re financing and wanting to finance the warranty as well then the answer is HELL NO!!!! Today’s interest rates are not good.

Last edited:
Pro tips from an old man:

Buy an older car you can actually fix

Or buy a newer Honda or Toyota.

IF you can afford the yuppy mobile, that means you can afford the repair bill. Not just the monthly dry corn holing called a payment so you can say you drive a yuppy mobile.

Make sure your woman has realistic views.
Mine drives a Honda. Says she will be happy to drive Hondas till she dies, or ride in my truck. She drove her last one till someone hit her and totaled it, plans to do the same with this one. She says its a tool, not a status symbol.
Mine does want the good good loving that lasts more than 37 seconds, and understands that just aint happenin. 🤣

Save the warranty money and put that money into one of those 4.4% savings accounts or the S&P 500.

If you’re financing and wanting to finance the warranty as well then the answer is HELL NO!!!! Today’s interest rates are not good.
Just locked in an fixed rate annuity account for 5 years 5.1%. Easy money. No worries 👍

On second thought, if you are planning on financing the vehicle, don’t. Buy and drive a beater for 5 years and put what you would have paid for your monthly payments into investments. Buy a new one with cash at that time.
This, totally. It’s difficult to convince people of it because the banks and dealerships hammer at us with advertising stating otherwise, but if you have to take out a loan for a vehicle, you can’t afford it.

Doing it that way also pushes you to get the vehicle you need versus the one you desire. When you really consider if that premium sound and electronic package is worth the $8000 markup instead of “just” another hundred a month on a 84 month loan, you quickly realize the stock stereo and eight grand in the bank is much more desirable.

Reactions: Maggot and BCP
I don't have a clue about what they are building today. My grand daughter owned on two vehicles ago. It was fat, comfortable, and attractive I did a little dance of joy when it was gone as it was frequent phone calls from he saying, "Grandpa, something is wrong with my car". It was still in warranty and the dealer was located over 100 miles away but, after some persuasion from her mother, they sent a car hauler twice to take it back for repairs and one issue was never fixed. It always used coolant and they couldn't determine where it was going. I finally fixed her a gallon of premix antifreeze to put in the trunk and told her to go to replace. The run flat tires it came with were complete junk and the dealer told her she could only use that type on it. Between a local tire dealer and me we convincer her ordinary tires were perfectly usable and her tire troubles. It had a habit of blowing oil out of it's filler once in awhile and it had an electronic oil level guage It also had a dipstick but that fabulous German engineering located it on the rear of the engine deep in the fire wall where it was inaccesable. To get rid of this albatross she finally quit making payments so it would be repocessed as no dealer would give here anything for it in trade.

I don't have a clue about what they are building today. My grand daughter owned on two vehicles ago. It was fat, comfortable, and attractive I did a little dance of joy when it was gone as it was frequent phone calls from he saying, "Grandpa, something is wrong with my car". It was still in warranty and the dealer was located over 100 miles away but, after some persuasion from her mother, they sent a car hauler twice to take it back for repairs and one issue was never fixed. It always used coolant and they couldn't determine where it was going. I finally fixed her a gallon of premix antifreeze to put in the trunk and told her to go to replace. The run flat tires it came with were complete junk and the dealer told her she could only use that type on it. Between a local tire dealer and me we convincer her ordinary tires were perfectly usable and her tire troubles. It had a habit of blowing oil out of it's filler once in awhile and it had an electronic oil level guage It also had a dipstick but that fabulous German engineering located it on the rear of the engine deep in the fire wall where it was inaccesable. To get rid of this albatross she finally quit making payments so it would be repocessed as no dealer would give here anything for it in trade.

Sounds like an older 7 series. A relative of mine had one and it was a nightmare.

I thought you'd be old enough to be upset about the Japanese?
It's all ggod. I do temember my first encounter with Japanese stuff, maybe 1958?

I got a baseball made in Japan...Damn thing was full of sawdust and exploded the first time we hit it. The NIps have come a long way....

Buy a used Lexus LS460 that was a lease return (~36K miles). Don't buy one with Air Ride suspension. If you do, become familiar with Arnott Industries for air ride shock replacements. They're high quality and (IIRC) about one third the cost of Lexus shocks.

Stay on top of fluid changes and timing belts. They'll go at least a half a million miles if you look after the basics.

460's really don't have any warts or blemishes to speak of.

Just locked in an fixed rate annuity account for 5 years 5.1%. Easy money. No worries 👍
I really hesitate to lock money for that long. I'm getting 5% or better on my Schwab account and its not locked in. With the Fed still raising rates i dont think it will go down.

Reactions: 101st and SWgeezer
Thats what GAP insurance is for. When you owe more than the POS is worth 'someone' steals it and burns it in the next town over. Then it gets paid off 100%.

The main principle I live by now for owning 4-wheels that roll on the blacktop. I won't own anything I can't run it trash cans with.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Let me get this straight - we're talking about dropping somewhere around $50K on a used car, and then spending another $7600 just to buy the confidence that I can keep it in service out to 100,000 miles?

No.
For real!!! Facts... 🥺

Don't buy it. As others have stated by a Toyota instead of any BMW. I can speak from experience as my wife is on her third. It's been her dream car brand forever that usually turns into a nightmare. I hope this is her last one!

If you are buying a "Luxury" car brand and have to make payments on it you're a poor and on your way to being poorer. (And most everyone sees it this way...) Beyond that, the only time I might suggest a car like this is if you have a company car lease for a new one and are only keeping it for 2 years.

Extended warranties are generally horrible. If you buy a brand new car though, check with your auto insurance carrier as they may have a much better deal. Did that with a Volvo my wife bought - cost like $10-12 (if that) a month on our insurance and when it went into the shop as the extended warranty was nearing its end it needed a bunch of suspension work (struts, bushings, etc.) along with a couple of discs replaced. It sounded like routine maintenance to me but called the insurance company who sent an adjuster to the dealer's service department. They covered everything and the adjuster called out a few other things that were also covered - about $6K in stuff was no charge. They paid the dealer directly so no out of pocket followed by trying to get reimbursed as with many extended warranties.

Watch the dealer sold warranties - got sucked into one when I was much younger on a new truck for my business at the time. A couple of years later it needed a major repair and I had to pay out of pocket then submit a "claim" to get reimbursed. Short story - they wore me down with incompetence, redundant requests for documentation, near impossible communication, and other assorted nonsense. I gave up - never got paid.

Honestly, the biggest perk for me with "luxury" brands is the service department is way easier to deal with and they give you a new model loaner car for every service visit no matter how inconsequential.

German cars have a reputation for a reason - I've had a couple of Porsches and they are wonderful automobiles but repair and maintenance costs can be significantly more than an average vehicle. At the end of the day do you need a car to get from point A to B? Then go Honda / Toyota. Want a car that's just a fun to drive toy and don't mind writing fat checks? Go German...

Have her get a Supra with 3.0. Fun as fuck, it’s a BMW, and Toyota services it.

She wants it. Just buy it. Get all the head and ass out of the deal you can while she’s still floating on cloud 9!

Skip both warranties. Learn to say no to things like $400 activated carbon and antibacterial cabin air filter changes as well as changing brake fluid frequently because “water can get in the line”. This is all shit BMW will sell you on and justify the extra protection plan.

The car will last 100K and probably longer without any significant repairs. You will definitely notice some small interior pieces start to flake and age at just 50k miles or less. The leather shows wear easily and seemingly prematurely compared to Toyota and other Jap brands. Just Google this and see the stories out there. I can attest from experience and also other family members same experience. These are very common at lower mileage. Major repairs are not but do seem to increase after 100k. Most people don’t keep them that long for that reason.

Reactions: 101st and CZp-01
I had a 335d (Diesel). Was advised to get the extended warranty.
The car's performance was astounding, twin turbo, almost 500ft lbs of torque @ 1700 RPM.
In all the years I drove it, the car never went more than 3 or 4 months w/o throwing a code.
I learned all about my BMW service writers hobbies, vacations, kid sports, etc.
Got rid of it after the extended warranty expired.

If you buy a BMW you had best shuck out another $100k for a GT-1.
That would be "Group tester, model one" which is the factory BMW scan tool.
Then, learn German......and Unix which is what the tester runs on.

Yea, I worked at Crevier BMW which is the largest BMW dealership in the world.
Yea, I quit after not all that long.

Reactions: Bantam1
Buy a used Lexus LS460 that was a lease return (~36K miles). Don't buy one with Air Ride suspension. If you do, become familiar with Arnott Industries for air ride shock replacements. They're high quality and (IIRC) about one third the cost of Lexus shocks.

Stay on top of fluid changes and timing belts. They'll go at least a half a million miles if you look after the basics.

460's really don't have any warts or blemishes to speak of.
I tried to sell her on the LS460... she wasn't really having it, she already has her mind set on the BMW. Hopefully, it treats her well.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Had a 2011 335i xDrive. Loved driving that car. Hated paying for it. Had all of the normal problems. Random electrical issues, had to replace the high pressure fuel pump (numerous times), starter, water pump. Around ~50K miles, the engine blew up. After about six months of fighting with BMW, they eventually agreed to cover the ~$24K engine replacement bill. Sold the car after that. Will never own a BMW again.

I think that true of all the German cars from VW on up. They make their gravy off repairs.
That’s the business model.

Most mfg sell cars at a very small margin (not talking 100k$ cars) just to create massive revenue.

The profit is the parts and service.

That’s one reason Tesla needed the govt subsidies. You can’t make a car company with out huge amounts of cash reserve above and beyond R&D etc.

Once the service market and spares are up and running it’s a totally different business model.

Reactions: Maggot
Had an M3 CPO. Traded it in right before the warranty expired. The dealer I traded it in to called the day after I traded and asked if I minded them taking it to BMW under my name because every light on the dash came on. It was fast and looked good, but I won’t touch one that is out of warranty.

I have had 5. Never bought new. Always preowned certified. Always get the add on warranty. Had one engine on an X3 take a shit and paid 50 buck out of pocket.

They are awesome cars. They handle well have power and they go fast! Comfortable. I love them. They are expensive to fix and maintain. DO NOT get one with out an extended warranty. JM2CW.

If you want a run forever rig get a Toyota. Can't say enough about them. Have 2 now.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I bought a new 330e last year. I bought the 3/36k ultimate care+ for 750 bucks... So each of my 3 services basically will be $250... and sometime before the 4/48k b2b the car will be fucking gone...

I just had the 10k mile service done:
oil change
windshield wipers
wash and vacuum

I obviously didnt pay it but the bill "estimate" was something like 846 dollars... are you fucking joking... They dont even rotate the tires, had to go to Discount later in the day for free rotation.

I could do the oil change for under $100 using Amsoil. Windshield wipers are like 25 bucks for a set of Tri-Co's from Amazon or RockAuto... I can run the car through the local full service automatic car wash(same as they did) for $14 and vacuum it with a free vacuum... So service #1 BMW is ahead on my $250 by ~100 bucks...

Service #2 is same as #1 except I think they replace the engine and cabin air filter. So maybe add +50. BMW will still be ahead by $50.

Service #3 is same as #1 but I think they do spark plugs, which are probably $40 to buy from Rock Auto... so again, BMW wins by at least 50 bucks.

So overall, no its not worth it.

NOW if you can get to a point you need brakes... nah, still not worth it if you can DIY...

If I had to do it again, I personally wouldnt buy it because you dont get enough for the money IMO. Again, thats if you are a DIY and arent afraid to tackle maintenance items. IF you arent then the cost isnt outrageous when you factor in the BMW tax. Is your wife going to have BMW do the service's whether she buys the package or not? If the answer is yes, then buy the package as it will save you some money. Call a BMW dealer(not where you are buying from) and ask what a 30, 40, 50, 60k mile service costs at retail and what all you get. You can search the BMW maintenance booklet that comes with the car and it lays out what is done at every service(oil, wipers, air filters, spark plugs, coil packs(I think thats the 50k service), diff fluid, etc...)...

Reactions: DuneBoer
I bought a new 330e last year. I bought the 3/36k ultimate care+ for 750 bucks... So each of my 3 services basically will be $250... and sometime before the 4/48k b2b the car will be fucking gone...

I just had the 10k mile service done:
oil change
windshield wipers
wash and vacuum

I obviously didnt pay it but the bill "estimate" was something like 846 dollars... are you fucking joking... They dont even rotate the tires, had to go to Discount later in the day for free rotation.

I could do the oil change for under $100 using Amsoil. Windshield wipers are like 25 bucks for a set of Tri-Co's from Amazon or RockAuto... I can run the car through the local full service automatic car wash(same as they did) for $14 and vacuum it with a free vacuum... So service #1 BMW is ahead on my $250 by ~100 bucks...

Service #2 is same as #1 except I think they replace the engine and cabin air filter. So maybe add +50. BMW will still be ahead by $50.

Service #3 is same as #1 but I think they do spark plugs, which are probably $40 to buy from Rock Auto... so again, BMW wins by at least 50 bucks.

So overall, no its not worth it.

NOW if you can get to a point you need brakes... nah, still not worth it if you can DIY...

If I had to do it again, I personally wouldnt buy it because you dont get enough for the money IMO. Again, thats if you are a DIY and arent afraid to tackle maintenance items. IF you arent then the cost isnt outrageous when you factor in the BMW tax. Is your wife going to have BMW do the service's whether she buys the package or not? If the answer is yes, then buy the package as it will save you some money. Call a BMW dealer(not where you are buying from) and ask what a 30, 40, 50, 60k mile service costs at retail and what all you get. You can search the BMW maintenance booklet that comes with the car and it lays out what is done at every service(oil, wipers, air filters, spark plugs, coil packs(I think thats the 50k service), diff fluid, etc...)...
If you have the time and the know how you are correct. For me I just don't have the time. All my mechanicing is for the ranch stuff to a certain point. Otherwise I do my motorcycles because I like to. BMers not so much.

Just let her get it. Once she has to pay the maintenance bill on it a couple of times, the novelty of having one will wear off. All those "high end" manufacturers just tack on a bunch of unnecessary shit just make their cars feel more special. Like paying extra for simple ass services like a oil change and air filter. But hey, you get a "free" check on your car....

Just let her get it. Once she has to pay the maintenance bill on it a couple of times, the novelty of having one will wear off. All those "high end" manufacturers just tack on a bunch of unnecessary shit just make their cars feel more special. Like paying extra for simple ass services like a oil change and air filter. But hey, you get a "free" check on your car....
And, OP, she does have a job AND SHE'S going to be paying all the "BMW bills". Right ? RIGHT ? :unsure: :eek:

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
If you have the time and the know how you are correct. For me I just don't have the time. All my mechanicing is for the ranch stuff to a certain point. Otherwise I do my motorcycles because I like to. BMers not so much.

I get paid a decent hourly rate (engineering consultant). But after...

- comparing what I take home after taxes against the currently hourly rate of most shops

- the piss-poor workmanship that passes as professional service

- the outrageous markup on bottom-shelf parts

- the fact that even basic work takes me and my vehicle out of service for a half-day

- the investment I've made in decent tools and a place to work

... it's become very easy to rationalize working on my own junk, even if it means losing billable hours.

It's made easier by putting some basic consideration into buying vehicles that can be maintained by a home mechanic.

I hope you are one of the couples that have separate bank accounts. If so. Show her how to purchase a vehicle. Read the reviews from multiple sources. Show her how to use Kelly Blue Book and Carfax and a few other things. Let her bargain with the salesman. Explain what Gap Insurance is and why the salesman will push it. Have her write down the number she is willing to pay for the car and walk out if they don't get close. If they want to sell the car they will call you, I promise. Once she gets the deal done give her praise for the accomplishment and don't be a Debbie Downer for her dream car. Hope and pray that the car makes it past the payment period without trouble.
Above all. Do not be the dick that shits on her dream. Let the BMW do it.

I hope you are one of the couples that have separate bank accounts. If so. Show her how to purchase a vehicle. Read the reviews from multiple sources. Show her how to use Kelly Blue Book and Carfax and a few other things. Let her bargain with the salesman. Explain what Gap Insurance is and why the salesman will push it. Have her write down the number she is willing to pay for the car and walk out if they don't get close. If they want to sell the car they will call you, I promise. Once she gets the deal done give her praise for the accomplishment and don't be a Debbie Downer for her dream car. Hope and pray that the car makes it past the payment period without trouble.
Above all. Do not be the dick that shits on her dream. Let the BMW do it.
Gawd Damm Sam ! Your last sentence ! :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For somebody who either doesnt have time or know how, the BMW Ultimate Care+ I dont think is a horrible deal compared to walking in and paying retail...

$3800 for the 5/75k mx package is what BMW sells them for if you buy a new 5 series x-drive($3749 according to the bmw website)... Again, its probably not a TERRIBLE deal, but BMW is winning on one at that length by at least 1k bucks vs. DIY.

On a 5/75k you should at some point get coil packs as recommended by BMW... MSRP from BMW is $93 per x 6= 558... plus I would guess at least an hour of labor @ 200(because what respectable BMW mechanic doesnt make 200 bucks an hour!!!). Plus 6 spark plugs at 30 a piece=180... so almost 750 probably 200 for an hour of labor... 950 bucks...

Also on a 5/75 you should get brake pads and rotors at least once and I bet that bill is 2000+ for the whole car. You MIGHT get them twice.

So those two things are in addition to your every 10k service that is likely worth about $200 each(800 in BMW dollars)...

So basically I would want to know is does the 5/75k package start TODAY which would take that car to 2028/94k miles... or if they say "oh thats from date of service entry" which would take it to 2027/75k miles... If the 5/75 starts the day you buy the car, again, probably not a bad deal...

going through a similar scenario here…. Wife’s car is about to hit the two year mark, and time to decide on whether or not to purchase the extended warranty.

Factory warranty is overpriced, but worth it if you need it… After a lot of research, found one dealer that seems to get the price down as low as anywhere I’ve seen, and it’s still a true factory extended warranty.

Snipped from a BMW forum:

IMG_5332.jpeg

I did something similar with my truck, via Flood Ford…. Flood is the name of the dealer, not like “Oh my, the river’s rising!“ LoL

Reactions: CZp-01