• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BO base problem

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
the BO 20moa base I have for my 700SA LH has an extension that hangs about 1" out over the recoil lug and barrel. This is preventing me from pulling my new ST-10 back far enought to get proper eye relief because the bottom side of the objective hits this extended portion of the rail. Has anyone else had this problem? I didnt think about this extended portion when I ordered it but it is sure creating problems now. I cant see thru the scope with out craning my head wayyyy forward. there is no way I can make this work. Taller than necessary ring are not an option as then I would need an adjustable cheek piece.

your thoughts? I considered a chop saw but that seems a bit redneck. No I dont have a water jet, CNC machine or mill.

Re: BO base problem

call Marty, the owner of Badger and see what he says

it will be monday now before he is back in the office, but HE normally answers the phone ;

and customer service is top notch there

Just cut it off and shoot some paint on it. You'll be better off with a good cheek weld than a pretty rifle.
grin.gif

yeah, I know..... but I hate to take the saw to finely machined and coated steel. Maybe it will work on my 22-250 with the VX III.

A little patience and a hack saw then clean it up with a machine file. Touch it up with some colld blue and your good to go.

Do what dmg308 said! I have done this to a few BO bases for the same reason. Turns out pretty good!

Second calling Marty at BO. They have exemplary customer service.

Before you perform major rifle surgery...give him a call...at the very least if anyone can advise on chopping up a BO base it would be BO themselves.

Man up and cut the damn thing! it wont take you more than 10 minutes to do.

I nearly have the same problem with my ST-10 on a Seekins 20 MOA base. There's clearance, but only maybe .020" at most.

I'd call the folks at Badger and see what they have to say. With the popularity of the ST-10 and Badger base, there has to be someone else who's had this same issue. I wouldn't start cutting on a brand new part before I talked to the vendor about it, but that's me.

its just the way it is with that scope. the tube is real short. its nothing major and two easy solutions exist...Actually, i dont know what else you can do besides these 2..

1- base needs to be shortened. Its easy for anyone with a manual mill to do it quickly. OR like they say above a saw and file.. then re coat the base.

2 get higher rings...

Im a fan of number 1 when a customer says he is mounting this scope...I always try and warn them and ask if they want the base shortened then coated before shipping. Not everyone has me shorten the base and we only shorten a couple every year.

I had the same problem, among other things. I opted for solution number 3.

3 Get rid of the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem, among other things. I opted for solution number 3.

3 Get rid of the scope. </div></div>

this requires explanation, prey tell. especially the "...among other things" part.

Had the same problem on my custom hunting rifle from APA and my S&B Zenith scope. I just sent the base back to Jered and Dave - they used the end mill and cut off the excess, which I marked for them - worked great!!

Before:

riflepics003.jpg

After:
riflepics002-1.jpg

Just call Marty on Monday and see if he will trade you out or cut it off and recoat it. IF not, take it off and go to a machine shop and have them cut it if you don't have the tools. That won't cost more than a few bucks or a couple minutes

Put the rail in a vise, use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Just part off at the rear of a slot. In other words remove a slot from the overall length. You can use the wheel like a mini-grinder to cleanup the edge of your cut; or use a file.