• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Board UPDATE= Post Counts, Google Search, User Names etc.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    2-25 Board Update

Post Counts - yes every single user lost posts in their count. This board software handles the information in a different way which effected everyone across the board. There is nothing to be done about it. We have re-index the search which was effective and reset a lot of the information that many considered lost. The Search on here should work 100x better than the old UBB. As an example I reset my post count manually to a new number and then after the indexing and updating the board again reset my post count. So there is nothing we can do. However it handles the number is clearly different. It happens, and did happen, end of story. The topic is close.

I will no longer be answering any emails on the subject I will simply deleted them. Every member's post count changed, get over it. it's just a number.

Regarding your concerns about the for sale section, I have a plan in place to address that. As you may or may not realize I personally loathe the FOR SALE Section. It is the source of most of our problems. I understand it brings a lot of members here, and it helps a lot of people, including those who want to pretend it is not a business. So the fact your post count fell below 100 doesn't upset me one bit. But I have something to fix it in mind, I just need to get the vB guys to pull the trigger and they are bit slow.

Please don't bother me about your post count any more. We worked all weekend trying to get the system to recognize the numbers UBB showed, it is not happening.

Understand it appears vB only recognized the most basic of UBB features in the transition. It really only read the raw data as it saw fit. It was not planned, nor is it personal, it just happened in a change of this magnitude, and trust it was the T Rex of changes.

User Name vs Display Names
    UBB used a User Name to log on and a Display Name to show in public, as you have noticed VB only uses a User Name and it only recognizes your UBB User Name. Your name didn't change, it's only showing your log on name from the old board. If you want to change that so match your old Display Name, you can do so in your Edit Profile. I have made sure everyone can change their User Name there. Do not play with the system there is a limited number of times you can do this, pick one and move on. Now, conflicts with others. So we went from 2 names for 80,000 members down to 1 name... some people will find someone else had a similar USER NAME to your DISPLAY NAME. So if you want your NEW USER NAME to match, it might not work. So be flexible and adjust a bit. You can change it slightly and people will get the point.

Edit Your Profile
    This board gives the user much more control over editing their own profile. In the past when you asked the board to change things, we did it. Now you can do it, so please change your Settings and Edit Profile before requesting we do it. The moderators cannot edit your account as it does not give them administrative powers as it did in the past. They can only do so much. Explore your profile, there is a lot there.

Changing or updating your avatar, this is only done in the Edit Profile and it is working for everyone now. Originally the default was no, I fixed that. You can change or edit your avatar to including uploading a new one. you are not limited to what we give you or what someone else is hosting. You don't need photobucket now.

Online Training
    The online training is back up. It's a new system and requires you log in on here. We have added 7 lessons to start, so you have a good point to begin. There is no "trial" payment or amount, it is simply the $10 a month to access the lessons for that month. So if you always wanted to join the online training but didn't want to pay the trial cost at $140, this is the time to join. Understand the old lessons are not present. The entire system has been reset to a new set of lessons and a new account for the payment. So don't come back in expecting to find the old stuff. As explained before the change, this is no longer an option. You can find it in Settings at the top - Paid Subscriptions on the left.

Selling, Feedback, Closing and Marking Sale Thread
    We added the iTrader option to the board. Everyone can now close their own thread once the item is sold and make it as such. You can also leave feedback on the transaction in their profile. Everyone has a very detailed profile now. I suggest you update it. Once your item is sold you can mark it that way and it should allow you to lock / close the thread. There are tools along the top right of the thread take a look around. Because this board is so different we will be adjusting the guidelines to post in the for sale section. We'll update everything to match the function and features of this board compared to the other board.

We're also made a series of small adjustments to the board like, tweaking the inactivity counter, making it so you can upload attachments, etc. Small stuff that might not be noticeable to many, but worth considering as it will help.

TapaTalk
    At this time we are not using TapaTALK, i get it SOME of you paid for this App, so you want to use it with SH. Well everyone we spoke to about it, recommended against it for a variety or reasons. Apparently most seasoned vBulletin people are not fans. There is a possibility we can it in the future, however we are investing in the vBulletin Mobile features over Tapatalk at this time. vBulletin is moving forward to make their boards work better with all forms of mobile devices and we have this here. I am looking at both so please don't hit me up endlessly with requests to include it. I get it you paid $3 or $4 for the App, still many of us didn't so don't force everyone else to spend that to match you.

Mobile Feature
    The board has a mobile feature now that works very good. The skin is the default skin at the moment, but we have a SH themed Mobile Skin on the way. To access the mobile feature if you phone does not do so automatically go to the lower Right Corner and hit the Mobile Version Link. That will turn that feature on for you. You can toggle back and forth between the Full Site or Mobile very simply.

Overall from what I am seeing the board is functioning much better. It's up to date, faster, and is very feature rich. Please explore the features before passing judgement. I know change it hard, and especially hard after 11 years. I had a ton invested in UBB and made the move out of necessity.

If your friends cannot log on they can email me, there is a contact link at the bottom of the board they can access without being logged on, I can reset stuff, but it really fills my time having to do the same thing over and over especially when I know everything is working. The issue has been guys trying to use their old display name vs their actual User Name or the fact their email was never up to date. In that case we can help them but don't cry when my emails are less than polite. I have a ton of work still to do, spending hour after hour resetting passwords is not my idea of productive.

As I notice anything else I will update these sections

Thanks

Mobile Feature
    The board has a mobile feature now that works very good. The skin is the default skin at the moment, but we have a SH themed Mobile Skin on the way. To access the mobile feature if you phone does not do so automatically go to the lower Right Corner and hit the Mobile Version Link. That will turn that feature on for you. You can toggle back and forth between the Full Site or Mobile very simply.

Im really digging the new mobile feature for browsing and posting. Its really nice when your on 3G or LTE and dont want to waste extra bandwith on ads and huge pictures. Every once in a while I have to go full site but its no biggie.

Once again thank you for offering such a valueable resource.

I'm glad to see the move to vBulletin. There's no other bulletin software that compares when it comes to features, functionality, and security. Thanks for all you and the guys do, Frank. I knew the transition from UBB to vB would be a massive undertaking but in the end, it would be worth it.

Online Training
    The online training is back up. It's a new system and requires you log in on here. We have added 7 lessons to start, so you have a good point to begin. There is no "trial" payment or amount, it is simply the $10 a month to access the lessons for that month. So if you always wanted to join the online training but didn't want to pay the trial cost at $140, this is the time to join. Understand the old lessons are not present. The entire system has been reset to a new set of lessons and a new account for the payment. So don't come back in expecting to find the old stuff. As explained before the change, this is no longer an option. You can find it in Settings at the top - Paid Subscriptions on the left.

Holy crap. This is very good news.
    I was planning on signing up with the "old system" soon. This makes it much more cost effective to get in.

Thanks.

Frank, any updates on the broken links from Google? I've been searching for older threads and while they pop up on Google, the same title doesnt appear on SH search. I also get a few warnings when I search via SH, search is too long, too short, too common etc.

I submitted new new site maps to Google this morning.

There is no redirect from the old UBB posts to the new until Google indexes everything you can get to any old links via the old location.

This site search should be fine no clue what you are doing but I have had good luck.

As I mentioned somewhere else on here... I have used this format on the Antique Motorcycle Club of America forum... and it's fantastic.

Great transition and very well handled! Had to be a ton of work and I hope everyone here appreciates what goes into running it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Frank, thanks for keeping this board going all these years. The LEO sniper community here in the northwest has made giant strides in the last 10 years largely due to the community you built. Mike

Thanks for the reply Frank. Here's what I was talking about from the search.

The following errors occurred with your search
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
    "6.5x47 lapua vs 260 rem"

The site update looks great by the way!

I'm absolutely LOVING the change. The old board had a very confined and cumbersome feel to it.

I can live with the lost post count.

Thank you.

No the old lessons are gone... the lessons I am doing now are of a higher quality (video wise) while giving you much of the same information. (and I am hoping having learned a lot from the old lessons, putting them in a much more logical training order)

Right now the new lessons loaded into the Online Training are from the Day One DVD, we'll be adding more and at the same time will be offering many of the new lessons on new / future DVDs.

The lessons are now SH Branded and no longer Co-Branded hence video change, the format change was a result of the move.

I hear those Day One dvd's suck. You should send me one so I can be the judge...

You already missed out, I stumbled in the Shout Box when they first came out and handed a few out to the guys that asked.

I gave a bunch to the AZ match last week,

Otherwise for $10 you can get access to the bulk of the lessons. While not the entire DVD, you can some good training

Gotta say I was on eof the skeptics early on - mostly due to how the PMs were initially dispalyed. The more I play, the more I like. Thanks to yo and your crew for the hard work...