• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bobro or Burris Extreme Tactical Rings

snake_charmer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
Florida
I've been piecing together a bolt gun for the last several months, Savage 10 fcp-sr. I finally ordered a scope from a hide member which is a SWFA SS 5-20x50. At this point I'm ready to donate plasma just to finish this build. I was looking at Burris Extreme Tactical Rings which are very affordable but I initially had my eye on the Bobro qd mount from SWFA. Would it be worth my while to hold off for the Bobro. I was reading that the Burris rings require lapping/beding?

I haven't required lapping any of the sets I've used. Probably have 5 sets holding on glass right now. I do have a lap bar and give them a couple passes to see how it all looks. So far they've all been fine straight up and all I've done is waste paste. I do this to all my rings as part of the install.

Good rings if you like em chunky. And the price is good.

The XTR rings are o-k but if I were budget limited I would spend another $10 or so to get Warne or Leupold PRW rings, which go on sale at MidwayUSA pretty much alternating months. (I think the PRW's are on sale right now, $45 or so per set if I remember right). They are made in the USA and I've never had a problem with the ones I've used (probably 5 sets of Warne and 1-2 sets of Leupold - which I think are made by Warne).

I don't think a Bobro QD mount makes much sense for that kind of rifle, in terms of height or application. If I were not budget limited I would simply go with one of the nicer/pricier sets of conventional scope rings: ARC, Seekins, PRI, TPS, Griffin, Badger, Nightforce, Talley, etc. (probably two dozen others I'm not listing).

I've got a Bobro QD Extended 30mm in the classifieds right now, fyi. What is your tube diameter?

The Warne PA rings are nice and +1 for the PRW's. But the Xtremes are a nice ring for the money. I have a few sets and never had an issue with them. You'll be happy with any of them on yuor setup.

Trevor B.

The XTR rings are o-k but if I were budget limited I would spend another $10 or so to get Warne or Leupold PRW rings, which go on sale at MidwayUSA pretty much alternating months. (I think the PRW's are on sale right now, $45 or so per set if I remember right). They are made in the USA and I've never had a problem with the ones I've used (probably 5 sets of Warne and 1-2 sets of Leupold - which I think are made by Warne).

I don't think a Bobro QD mount makes much sense for that kind of rifle, in terms of height or application. If I were not budget limited I would simply go with one of the nicer/pricier sets of conventional scope rings: ARC, Seekins, PRI, TPS, Griffin, Badger, Nightforce, Talley, etc. (probably two dozen others I'm not listing).

The TpS 30mm lows in steel configuration are on back order through midway. TPS and Seekins both seem nice. Would the 4/6 configuration on the Seekin rings be worth the extra $10?

I have several sets of TPS aluminum rings in use and have been happy with them. No personal experience with Seekins, but they have a great reputation. Your rifle is a .308, right? I think the 6-screw rings are overkill for a .308 (or anything with less recoil) so would not bother with it, whatever brand you choose.

I have several sets of TPS aluminum rings in use and have been happy with them. No personal experience with Seekins, but they have a great reputation. Your rifle is a .308, right? I think the 6-screw rings are overkill for a .308 (or anything with less recoil) so would not bother with it, whatever brand you choose.

Thanks, I was just looking at AAD rings and they look like tiny tanks. You raised a good point being that its going on a .308 and recoil shouldn't be as severe as the larger bore guns, leading me back to TPS. It's hard to argue with the reputation of Seekins though.

If you have that much invested into the project... save the remaining funds and get some Seekins. Don't go cheap where your high dollar glass is sitting.

DK

If you have that much invested into the project... save the remaining funds and get some Seekins. Don't go cheap where your high dollar glass is sitting.

DK

Yea, I'll be in contact with liberty optics to get a hide price on some Seekins lows. Hopefully, they'll have some in stock.

Last edited:
I have numerous sets of the burris extreme rings. They all required a little lapping but not a big deal. They are worth the money but a budget ring. Tps rings are solid but over double the price

Savage installs 1 piece 20moa picitinny rails on the fcp-sr. Does anyone know if this is aluminum or steel though?