• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Body die

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I have been reading up on the Redding body dies for a couple of weeks here and there now and don't know that I understand the full utility of this die or what the ultimate goal of using it is. I understand that you are sizing the shoulder and the body and not the neck. It seems that the objective is to use it once the brass gets a little "sticky" and difficult to chamber, but I know there has to be more to it than this. Are ya'll using this on every reloading cycle or just after every couple of reloads? Any insight is appreciated.

Re: Body die

Using the body die only when needed is my routine, usually about the 5th firing.

Of course your milege may vary as how often like load, brass quality and type of chamber are some of the obvious variables.

When I was loading for a factory rifle there was a noticable accuracy increase from using a body die to straighten out the case after firing.

The reasoning I gathered was possiblly the chamber and bore were not true.

The reason for the Redding body die is so you can use it in conjunction with the Redding neck sizing, bushing (type S) die. You already have your neck tension set with the proper depth and bushing, and you have been using that for some number of reloads. Your brass won't chamber, so you body size it and can then neck size it as normal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to use any kind of case lube with the body dies? </div></div>

YES! Just as you would a FL sizing die. Or have a stuck case removal kit handy.

That info helps. I was under the impression that some were using the body die and neck sizing in every reload cycle. It just didn't make sense to do this instead of just using a FL type S sizing die.

With Federal brass I am using it every 3 firings, just to ensure reliable operation when the cases start getting sticky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that some were using the body die and neck sizing in every reload cycle. </div></div>

I use both every firing. Well, not the Type S... I really like the Lee collet die and tried to get away with neck sizing only with a body die usage every few firings... but my chamber requires a FL size every firing or my brass sticks above the belt (300WM).

My .260 will get a Type S FL die...

John

I neck size first with the Lee collet die and then bump the shoulder if I need to. That is determined by the amount of pressure needed to close the bolt. Old barrel was every 3 firings, new barrel ???

I used to use lee collet die or redding comp bushing die and redding body die every firing as well. Then I realized, I'm really FL sizing but only minimally.

What I use now is a forster FL die with the neck honed out to my spec so my finished neck is where I want it as far as Neck tension goes. One step, same outcome, excellent runout numbers, minimal sizing of the brass.

Same principal as the type s full length bushing die, but without the versatility of the bushings...The only advantage of a custom honed fl die is the entire neck is sized in the process. Some may or may not view this as an advantage....

Either way I found the same thing as jrob, that eventually after all firings I needed to bump the shoulders back anyway.

If you were using both, you would just be better off getting a FL Type S die, as you said. Using the neck and then the body is just separating it into two processes.

The purpose of the body die is to bump the shoulder when necessary, if you are the neck sizing only type.