• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Body position for unsupported prone/youth instruction

Partsunavailable

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 22, 2019
    I've been focused on center-fire supported positional shooting the last few years. Have heard and read numerous times about prone supported body position, everything square to the target, no angles, npa. The green army man position, body canted/leg bent is a thing of the past. Last weekend I took a class to become certified as a youth 4h shooting instructor, and the army man position was taught as the proper position for unsupported prone with a 22lr. They explained that without recoil or front support, this is the best position. What are your thoughts, does this position in this scenario provide the best npa?

Also, if others here that are involved in youth shooting instruction, I'd like to hear different ideas.

Last edited:
    You have to rotate your body to get the support arm under or nearly under the rifle for unsupported prone. Is how to do THAT particular position, NPA still exists with the rest of your body and what you have to do to have the gun lined up with the target and for it to return to the same position after firing the shot.

Is it the "best" position or NPA? Arguably no, prone supported or benchrest depending on the metric you want to look at. Sounds like they didn't really go into the "why" of it as much as the how.

Old thread here that goes into much of it.

Wow, thanks, alot of debate in that thread. I should have found it before posting. It's a legacy skill for that contest. The position makes sense, I've just been focused on a different contest/skill set. I'll have to work on my NPA in unsupported positions.

I was a collegiate shooter and coach. I shoot 3P, high power, midrange, long range, Palma, and some prs style matches.

I shoot the army man position. It’s a really good position for 4-H shooting. The angles and leg up help your diaphragm be in a position to breathe deeply and easily. For many of the matches I shoot, we are in position for a long time. Being able to breathe easily helps lessen fatigue.

It certainly doesn’t hurt to know and try each position. Go with the one that works best for the discipline and the scoresheet for the individual shooter.

I was a collegiate shooter and coach. I shoot 3P, high power, midrange, long range, Palma, and some prs style matches.

I shoot the army man position. It’s a really good position for 4-H shooting. The angles and leg up help your diaphragm be in a position to breathe deeply and easily. For many of the matches I shoot, we are in position for a long time. Being able to breathe easily helps lessen fatigue.

It certainly doesn’t hurt to know and try each position. Go with the one that works best for the discipline and the scoresheet for the individual shooter.
    This is the way

Shooting prone without a bipod requires very different body mechanics.

Reactions: BPGuru and Modoc
    Sterling was a wealth of information on that topic. Haven’t seen him on here in a long time.

A good match director will make you use skill sets that most people don’t practice. Make it a point to be aware of and good at more than just prone with a bipod and you’ll be much better prepared for field shooting.

Reactions: 308pirate