• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BOG Death Grip Tripod?

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
Hey gang, I know a lot of you are running the Really Right Stuff setups. I love what I’ve read about RRS. They are obviously the top tier best of the bunch for the competitive shooter or game hunter. On the other hand, I myself, never having shot off tripods wants to get into a cheaper priced tripod just to tickle my feet and see what they are all about. As such, im eyeing this BOG death grip. It’s main mission would be rifle support for shooting steel on open range days, and shooting stumps/rocks on power line roads. I was thinking if I fell in love with shooting off a tripod system, I’d then step up to an RRS system at some point. So what say ye old wise Hiders? Is it a waste on of money better put towards an RRS or maybe not?

Last edited:
My experiences with the Bog tripods are they are not very stable. Looking at the specs for the Death Grip, they are also very heavy. The Carbon Fiber model is 7.5-lbs. The Aluminium model is nearing 10-lbs. I have a Manfrotto CF tripod with Hog Saddle which is 3.9-lbs, and under 3-lbs with the Precision Shooting Platform.

Suggest you go to a used camera store, or look on eBay, where you will find a quality tripod for a low entry price.

Get one with a 3/8-16 stud on top, and you will have quite a few options without breaking the bank.

You can go with a simple saddle, that is inexpensive, like the one Precision Rifle Solutions offers for (SSP-2) $58

The Precision Shooting Platform (PSP) from A-D Precision offers a product that is very versatile, where you place a bag on top. It's $160

IMG_20190307_152523390.jpg

www.alphadogprecision.com

I have a lot of experience with clamping type set ups, and there are various problems like needing to have the tripod leveled, if not you will induce cant to the rifle. Also, clamping the rifle into the tripod doesn't dampen the recoil, and causes the tripod to move or shift, and often requires adjustments for a follow-up shot.

Last edited:
My experiences with the Bog tripods are they are not very stable. Looking at the specs for the Death Grip, they are also very heavy. The Carbon Fiber model is 7.5-lbs. The Aluminium model is nearing 10-lbs. I have a Manfrotto CF tripod with Hog Saddle which is 3.9-lbs, and under 3-lbs with the Precision Shooting Platform.

Suggest you go to a used camera store, or look on eBay, where you will find a quality tripod for a low entry price.

Get one with a 3/8-16 stud on top, and you will have quite a few options without breaking the bank.

You can go with a simple saddle, that is inexpensive, like the one Precision Rifle Solutions offers for (SSP-2) $58

The Precision Shooting Platform (PSP) from A-D Precision offers a product that is very versatile, where you place a bag on top. It's $160

View attachment 7062941

www.alphadogprecision.com

I have a lot of experience with clamping type set ups, and there are various problems like needing to have the tripod leveled, if not you will induce cant to the rifle. Also, clamping the rifle into the tripod doesn't dampen the recoil, and causes the tripod to move or shift, and often requires adjustments for a follow-up shot.
Thanks!

I second what was said earlier. I had the BOG deathgrip and the clamping mechanism was made of plastic. Even tightened down the mechanism underneath the clamp would allow the rifle to be tilted. Noticeable at 100yds so I returned it after that range outing.