• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt a little hard to close last 1/16" of inch

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
I have been reloading for my .308 for a little while. (400 or so rounds). I have reloaded a lot of pistol but am new to rifle. I am using Hornady match brass trimmed to 2.005" and after a couple of firing on the brass the bolt has become hard to close. The cases still measure under 2.015" I think the shoulder is moving forward just a little but not sure. Does this seem correct or is there something else I need to look into. The COAL is loaded with 178amaxs to 2.80"

Re: Bolt a little hard to close last 1/16" of inch

Your thinking is correct, the shoulder needs to be set back. I personally like a little resistance when I close the bolt. An old high power master used to say "I don't like my brass ratteling around in the chamber". Set back until it closes the way you want it.

use full size die.
i had the same problem

Get a black permanent marker and blacken the shoulder area, onto the body a little. Continue tightening the die and running up that same piece of brass until you see a defined contact point on the shoulder, right at the shoulder/body junction. At that point, you're likely just kissing the shoulder back enough. Conversely, you could use a Stoney Point gauge to find same. If you're not able to hit the shoulder with your FL die, you'll need to trim the base of the die off a few thou.

Yes I'm FL sizing the brass, need to get into neck sizing. The brass is only used for one rifle. Just havn't had the funds to get a good comp. set of dies yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need to get into neck sizing </div></div>

You should learn to walk first, before you run. Do you have a case guage to check if you are sizing your case adequately. If not, a dummy round could also be used to make sure your resizing die is set low enough to resize the case to fit your chamber.

To paraphrase Johnnie Cochrane, "If the dummy don't fit you must reset."

1/8" turns of the die each time (pull the bullet from the dummy before running it back into the sizing die, do it lubed correctly too) until you hit your desired bump.

Neck sizing can prolong case life and may enhance accuracy in one's rifle, but there are many other details the new reloader should master before worrying about benchrest techniques.

Queequeg,

How do you make the dummy round you talk about. I've made dummy rounds to check the max. length to the lands for seating depth of the 178amaxs. The ammo I've been making shoot very good. I do think I'm on the right path with it. Just getting a little tight to close the bolt, not having to man up to close it just a little tight than the factory Hornady match I got the brass from.

Thanks,
Ken

I use a Hornady Match neck/shoulder bump die that takes care of that issue for me. Everything said before works too. More ways than one to skin a cat. FWIW, Redding also makes such a die. Ain't too spensive neither......

Redding (and Hornady) body dies will full size the case (except the neck, of course.)

There are no dies that just bump the shoulders, and nothing else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding (and Hornady) body dies will full size the case (except the neck, of course.)

There are no dies that just bump the shoulders, and nothing else. </div></div>

Maybe I misunderstood the instructions that came with the die. I bolded the part that said <span style="font-weight: bold">shoulder bump neck size</span>. Also in all the gun magazines from about the last month or so have an ad by Forster that describe a Bushing Bump Neck Die.

From Hornadys site. This is the one I use, called the Match Grade New Dimension Die.

"308 WIN
For ultra-precise alignment and match-winning performance from your press, you’ll want Hornady’s Match Grade New Dimension™ Dies. The neck size die features interchangeable, self-centering neck size bushings (available in .002” increments) that eliminate the chance of oversizing your case necks and overworking the brass.
Available in two styles: full-length sizing and <span style="font-weight: bold">shoulder bump neck size</span>. Both styles feature interchangeable neck sizing bushings. Select the bushing your cartridge requires to complete your Match Grade Die."

From the Forster site.

"Precision Plus™ Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die for 308 Win. The Precision Plus Bushing Bump Sizing Die brings an advanced precision level to hand loaders by allowing you to precisely control the amount of neck sizing tension in your reloaded cartridge brass. The Precision Plus improves accuracy and prolongs case life because the necks are sized down as little as necessary <span style="font-weight: bold">while still "bumping" the shoulder of the case </span>to maintain overall case concentricity and cartridge headspace length. Best of all, it prevents overworking the necks and allows you to control the amount of neck tension for your bullet seating operation. Interchangeable bushings are available in 0.001 in. increments to allow the user to customize the amount of neck sizing to adjust for case neck wall thickness. Forster neck bushings are machined to a superior interior finish for "smooth as silk" neck sizing. Order bushings separately."

Again, I may have misunderstood the above information I pulled from the websites and the instructions that came with my die. If I have misunderstood, don't you think it would be a great idea if they made these dies?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding (and Hornady) body dies will full size the case (except the neck, of course.)

There are no dies that just bump the shoulders, and nothing else. </div></div>

I was just playing with a Forster bump bushing neck sizer for the 300WSM and all you have to do is leave the bushing out if you want to bump your shoulder back. I set it to bump it back what I want then run the bushing down to size the neck the ammount I want and am good to go.

I don't think a shoulder only die would work. You would probably get the case body to swell under the load and fouling up your dimensions.

Just throwing this out there because I have had this happen to me. Are your Primers firmly seated. I had a problem a couple of times closing my Bolt on Reloads and started checking and noticed the Primer was not seated firmly in the pocket. Which made the Bolt not want to close.

The primers are ok. I think I found my problem. I resized a couple of cases and the case holder is stopping short of going all the way up to the die. I also see the same amount of marking above the shoulder. I just need to readjust my die down about a 1/16" to 1/8" and I should be good to go. When I first set the die up I just brought the die down to the shell holder then about a 1/4 turn. Guess it wasn't enough. Going to reload and check few before I do my next 100 rounds.