• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action .22LR

Sykes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2020
Colorado
My oldest boy who is 9 joined the 4H shooting club this year. He did archery and .22. Today was the fair shoot and he won both archery, in a shoot off, and .22 in the Jr division, pretty exciting. He's been shooting a .22 since he was 4 or 5 and killed a deer in TX at age 7 so he's off to a good start

Well since he's going to continue in the 4H shooting I want him to have his own rifle. Looking for opinions on what rifle to get him. He used a club gun this year, a savage, because all ours are semi autos. Has to be a bolt gun, single shot or up to 5rd mag. Open iron sights, he did not like the target sights on the rugers.

I'm thinking a CZ 457 scout. Or an Anschutz but they are pretty spendy. What do you suggest?

Thanks

The CZ Scout may be somewhat limiting with it’s “youth“ stock, although it is one of my absolute favorite rimfires. I doubt any CZ would be disappointing in the accuracy department. A friend got his son a 452 Trainer for 4H years ago, decided it Was his when his son finished 4H. He had shot my 452.American and Scout.

Another option is find an old aperture sight target rifle. These are all found well under a grand with sights. Some are mag fed....some single shot.

Remington 513T
Remington 541X
Remington 540X or 540XR
Winchester 75T

There are definitely more spendy options too. They much better but also a lot more heavy.

Winchester 52
Remington 40XB

You could also look for peep sight equipped hunting rifles. Much cheaper but not a true target gun. But perhaps 4H doesn't require such things.

Remington 510-512 "P series"and 521T
Winchester 69

Reactions: RTH1800 and Sykes
Cz457 Scout is no slouch in the accuracy department, also could locate a 457 Trainer/Lux or the barrel for one. The older 452 and 455 trainers were also good if you can find them with reasonable prices. The Scout does have a shorter length of pull, but you could then add a adjustable buttplate or just drop it in a chassis. If later on he wants match diopter sights, the 11mm dovetail on the receiver and threaded barrel makes it a little easier to do. Also have the Tikka T1X, can mount a: Skinner, Mendoza, NECG, or Tech sight on the receiver dovetail and mount a front sight to a thread-on barrel extension.

What type of shooting is it for? I'm not familiar with the 4H style of competition.

The CZ 457 Scout is a great rifle. Easy to upgrade and modify for a few different types of shooting. Plus, it's a much cheaper rifle to invest in. If your son keeps advancing, there are some great choices for the next steps.

What type of shooting is it for? I'm not familiar with the 4H style of competition.

The CZ 457 Scout is a great rifle. Easy to upgrade and modify for a few different types of shooting. Plus, it's a much cheaper rifle to invest in. If your son keeps advancing, there are some great choices for the next steps.
They shoot the NRA small bore five bull target at 50 feet prone, sitting, kneeling and standing

The scout is a great option. You can always swap it to a full-size stock or chassis when he grows out of the smaller stock and you can even easily swap out to heavier/longer barrels if he shows interest in benchrest or precision shooting.

The scout is a great option. You can always swap it to a full-size stock or chassis when he grows out of the smaller stock and you can even easily swap out to heavier/longer barrels if he shows interest in benchrest or precision shooting.
This is a big reason why I'm leaning towards the scout. I'm just wondering if the stock is already too short, he's kinda got some long arms, shoots my full size rifles pretty well. Need to find one in a store

This is a big reason why I'm leaning towards the scout. I'm just wondering if the stock is already too short, he's kinda got some long arms, shoots my full size rifles pretty well. Need to find one in a store
That might be an issue, the Scout has a 12" LOP, the Lux would be the next best bet for open sights, with a 13.75" LOP. You could probably coax and extra 1/2"-1" with recoil pads/spacers until it's time to go full size. The iron sight requirement is going to be more limiting than LOP. You can always add or cut to stocks, but not many quality bolt guns have iron sights and adding them would be a costly endeavor.