• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action AR build

Daddyusmaximus

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
I looked, but the only mention I could find was one person asking about a bolt action AR in 6mm, and it didn't go anywhere... So... Is there anyone else who has ventured into the bolt gun AR waters?

I'm fixing to. I've had a little 7.5" AR-Stoner side charging upper that's been sitting around not doing anything for a while... Thing is, I already have two short uppers. my pistol, and my SBR, both 10.3". Now I also just happen to have the original barrel (had to keep) from when I did the form 1 on the SBR. It's from a 9.5" Arms Tech Compak 16 upper that I had on my M-4 in Iraq.

This right here... http://www.armstechltd.com/articles/article_specialweapson_cmpk16.pdf

I had the SBR changed over to .300 blackout for a while, but sold that upper on a pistol lower to buy a 4 wheeler. The barrel however just happens to be the most accurate AR barrel I ever had. That thing was shooting .75" with xm193 when I took it off. (not as good as they advertise, I must suck at shooting, but a damn good barrel) Anyhow, my stupid ass just had to try .300... at the time. It's an unusual design, no gas port. It has a gas trap on the end. Perfect for a bolt action barrel. Of course without the gas trap, it's only an 8" barrel, but still... It also has progressive gain twist polygonal rifling. (read the above article) so it gets very fast velocities from such a short barrel. Mostly, it has sentimental value because I shot the hell out of it for a year in the desert, and it has sent virgin seekers looking.

I'm poor, so this will be a "parts swap" build using parts from other guns, and some leftover stuff I have laying around, but I have enough to piece it together. I plan to use this barrel, on the side charging upper, and the Midwest Industries rail that's currently on my SBR, to make my semi-auto SBR, into a bolt gun SBR. I tried to fit the barrel with the AR-Stoner rail, but it has a funky rail with screws that go directly into the barrel nut at 90 degrees. There is no way to torque it down proper without going in 90 degree increments. It has to be shimmed, and the shim that works on their barrel, is wrong for mine. The AR-Stoner 7.5" .223 Wylde 1/7 barrel can always be used at some point down the line with some other rail... I will put a leftover Vortex scope on my Brazilian Mauser, and use the Nikon M-308 from it, on this. I have a Burris P.E.P.R. mount not doing anything at the moment. I'll take the Echo II trigger out of the SBR, and put in my trusty old JP trigger. The buffer spring, and buffer will come out. I'll use the Harris bipod from my Remington 700, and put my old Versa Pod on it.

This may take me some time, even having all the parts. A lot going on at the VFW, and my wife is home from school (teacher's aid) sick with her cellulitis faired up. Can't find my punch set right now either... Kinda need that to get the front sight post off the SBR to get to the rail... This should give you some idea of the project. Two push pins, and it packs away real neat, and small. Hopefully, it will end up being a very accurate little bolt action 5.56 AR-SBR capable of precision shooting, with the added benefit of discreet travel. Should still be effective at ranges out to 250 yds or more. Was for me back in 2004, and that was with an EoTech.

Attachments

• Me by my 915 close up od compak 16 on m4.JPG
    Me by my 915 close up od compak 16 on m4.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7603.JPG
    IMG_7603.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Well, their whole rifle is 1.8k. Upper is 1-1.1k. I’d like to see if they can produce a single shot AR15 upper in .308 to compliment my 16” ACOG equipped upper.

Have considered their AR10 full rifle variant as a primary bolt rifle. Most stocks/chassis that are on traditional platforms never seem to fit right where I’m very comfortable behind an AR style rifle.