• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Action Build

Caleb.j.daum

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2023
montana
Hello I’m new to the whole long range world and would like to begin a bolt action build. I’m a machinist and would like to make my own barrel from a blank. I’m looking for input on what action to get. I’ve been considering a Zermatt Origin action. I would like to be able to use this rifle for long range shooting and hunting. Im not set a certain cartridge yet either so any input would be appreciated.

I’ve heard good things about them. I have an AR 10 in .308 and one is 6.5 CM. I would like a cartridge that would have a little more impact outside of 300 yds and with more speed. I’ve been looking at 300 win mag or 300 Norma mag.

Origins are great! Good general all around target/hunting round, 7mm-08 or 65cm. 308 works, just crap in the wind. Lots of good ammo choices available though.

Agree on 308 for the first build -- and the Origin allows you to easily swap barrels/calibers down the road

308 ammo seems to be the best price these days too -- and it is widely available

I’ve heard good things about them. I have an AR 10 in .308 and one is 6.5 CM. I would like a cartridge that would have a little more impact outside of 300 yds and with more speed. I’ve been looking at 300 win mag or 300 Norma mag.
So are you going to buy a long or short action? What magazines are you going to use?

Were I you, and assuming you're not an AI, I would do a short action Origin in .223 Wylde using Accurate Mag AICS magazines. Later on when you want to practice your barrel making skillz you can buy a.478 bolt face and come back to this forum to argue about 308 vs 6.5 Creedmore.

I would not start off with your first custom in a gas guzzling powder hog that could be hard to shoot and diagnose for a new shooter.

Huh? 300yds? I have put my 308 on a plate at 1000yds 10 out of 10 times, over and over. What are you talking about? Even with slow running factory ammo you will be super until 800 or better.

Reactions: Balor
Huh? 300yds? I have put my 308 on a plate at 1000yds 10 out of 10 times, over and over. What are you talking about? Even with slow running factory ammo you will be super until 800 or better.
Yeah, but does it have the impact when it impacts?

OP, every time I shoot a match and some neanderthal is there shooting a 308(so he has a built in excuse for losing), he breaks targets. Never fails. If you're just shooting steel, I don't know what else you want out of it.

Yeah, but does it have the impact when it impacts?

OP, every time I shoot a match and some neanderthal is there shooting a 308(so he has a built in excuse for losing), he breaks targets. Never fails. If you're just shooting steel, I don't know what else you want out of it.
I'm not a 308 fan boy, I'd rather shoot my 6cm over anything else but 308 works just fine way past 300 yds, that's what I responded to.

If it were me I'd look at 300 prc, and 300 Norma.

I'm not a 308 fan boy, I'd rather shoot my 6cm over anything else but 308 works just fine way past 300 yds, that's what I responded to.
Ya I know. I'm just poking fun at his lack of justification for why he needs to upgun to an ELR cartridge to shoot steel past 300yds. Other than Impact and Speed.

Ya I know. I'm just poking fun at his lack of justification for why he needs to upgun to an ELR cartridge to shoot steel past 300yds. Other than Impact and Speed.
My bad I didn't catch the drift there.

I was also confused by the jump to such a big round and talking about 300 yds???

A 300 ____ barrel's worth of H1000 or N570 is going to run you about $800-1000 if you can find it. And when you do happen to find it in stock, you have to buy it, whether it's financially convenient for you or not at the moment. It's not a pickers/choosers club to play in. A barrels worth of $0.80 bullets is going to cost you $1200 - 1600. Brass is probably $300. So starting off with a $400 barrel+ your time + $2600 in components= 300 PRC/ Norma.

And I don't think you'll be able to stuff a Lapua based cartridge in any version of Origin. You will need a specific action and more expensive 1.35" shanked barrels.

Reactions: Lost_Phil
I'd do a Solus action for ~$675 (25% off sale ends today) and spin yourself up a 6.5C barrel for it.

Reactions: JR1200W3