• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt-action 'flash-hider' addition?

SSlongRifle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
E.Bay, Commiefornia
Hello 'Hiders!
Can you give me your thoughts on the idea of adding a Vortex (or other) Flash Hider to my soon to be rebarreled PSS (it'll be a short -18"- barrel)?

I like the idea of a 'reduced' flash signature. But my primary reason would be for extra muzzle crown protection, dragging it through the brush and desert.

I'd been thinking of a brake (FTE?) but thought of the flash-hider idea.

Sadly, here in the PRC, supressors are a no-go. Tried some searches and didn't really find much -as pertains to bolt-action rifles.

Thanks for your insights!
ssLR

Re: Bolt-action 'flash-hider' addition?

Why reduce the muzzle flash?

long rifle,
I think the law your talking about is for semi auto rifles. You CAN put a flash suppressor on a bolt action. Not a suppressor but a flash suppressor.
A vortex flash will work well. You can also look into a brake. Kinda like red mist brake. I think he runs outta Vegas. His name is Skip.

SOTA

PWS makes a muzzle brake that is also a flash suppressor. I have one on my AR10 and like it. It is also classified as a muzzle brake by the BATFE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PWS makes a muzzle brake that is also a flash suppressor. I have one on my AR10 and like it. It is also classified as a muzzle brake by the BATFE. </div></div>

in texas that might fly, but here in Kali, batfe has no say, if the item is being sold as a flash hider, its a flash hider. A moot point really because there is no law that says you cant have one on a bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PWS makes a muzzle brake that is also a flash suppressor. I have one on my AR10 and like it. It is also classified as a muzzle brake by the BATFE. </div></div>

in texas that might fly, but here in Kali, batfe has no say, if the item is being sold as a flash hider, its a flash hider. A moot point really because there is no law that says you cant have one on a bolt gun. </div></div>

That's good to hear. Flash hiders aren't restricted here on anything (or is anything else, just the normal NFA and 922r requirements so basically BATFE is who we have to watch out for here), I was just tossing that out there as a possible solution to getting around retarded laws.

I know in NY muzzle devices like hiders and brakes are not an issue when on bolt guns, only semi-autos. Any NY is a tough state to have goodies. No SBR's, auto's or cans.

I tried out a SEI Vortex on my 700P and my issue was the harmonics it created. It will ring like a tuning fork. So I have opted to go away from it for now and had an Ops Inc Brake fitted. (yes I realize the Ops Inc wont help the flash but it will offer me the option of a can later) I plan on doing some night time shooting and hunting so I may still go back to the SEI or when I move from NY apply for a can and use the Ops Inc.

It needs finishing but here is how it looks for now.

PSS2ndReturn_5.jpg

PSS2ndReturn_4.jpg

PSS2ndReturn_1.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

SR15, great pics, thanks for sharing those (PSS, right?). Could you elaborate on the harmonics issue you mention? Did this affect accuracy? Also, regarding the SEI Vortex, which size/version did you use?

Thanks again to everyone who posted.
ssLR

Edit: oops! reread your post and saw "700P)"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why reduce the muzzle flash? </div></div>

Because FGMM (the most common LE Sniper round) at night produces a nice little flash. While I have not had a problem with it obscuring the target during night fire training it is bright enough that your position will be compromised.

It's really only an issue if you are shooting at targets that may shoot back.

If I don't suppress my rifle, it will be getting an SEI or similar soon when I cut the barrel back.

Here's the Badger FTE for you. Had my barrel docked to 20" and turned for the FTE. FYI, the thread pitch is the same as the Vortex (5/8x24) and either can be fitted.

700P02.jpg

sr15match,

Other than the ringing like a tuning fork any othe negatives, because I have one being installed on my 700PSS in 300 win. mag, because I want to use the DC sound suppressor also.

Here's an 18" Pacnor barreled 700 with a Vortex. I can't think of any negatives of having it. But a plain ole thread protector would have worked for me as well.
lilbolt1.jpg

There is a light ring or pinging that it does if the rifle is bumped, like a tuning fork as mentioned before, but is that really a problem?

For the sensitive-eared folk, be careful with that trigger. Sometimes when you pull it back the rifle makes a little louder noise than that pinging.
shocked.gif

CHRIS

Cixelsyd,

OK, I know what you are talking about know that you put it that way. I have one on my M14 type rifle, I was thinking of a major problem, I know the sound not a problem.

Thanks

I had very limited range time when I shot my 700P with the Vortex. When I am home again this summer I plan on doing a back to back comparison between the Vortex and the Ops Inc.

Otherwise the only thing I noticed like I had mentioned was the ring sound after the shot was fired. It might be a little different on different rifles depending on barrel length and diameter.