• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Action for $2500 Max?

Bad Primer

Bad Primer
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
Mokena, Illinois
Looking for a first BA for local PR matches. I have a gas gun but really would also like a chassis rifle. Budget without optics is $2500.

Very Interested in your opinion on Masterpiece Arms PMR Pro II, Tika T3X Tac 1 and the line of Ruger precision rifles coming from the custom shop lately.

Thought 6.5 CM would be a safe start even though there are other trendy calibers out there now.

Would really welcome any other recommendations/suggestions.

Thanks!

MPA, as you mentioned will be a very nice set up.
Daniel Defense makes one.
Badrock rifles has one.
Deep South Tactical.
GAP ppr in a manners is also very nice.

There are lots of options in your price range but this is probably the best value for the $$. Even with more $$ spent on a barrel, you’re still well within your budget. Spend the rest on ammo, reloading components, or a better scope

Tikka with prefit, krg bravo, and trigger spring.

Should get you started for around 1500-1700 and not give up anything to the higher end stuff

Reactions: Bad Primer
MPA production class rifle would be an easy choice. My shooting partner just got one in 6BR and I got one of the MPA Matrix rifles (more than 2500) in 6BR. What caliber is a whole other discussion but with prefits you can easily change in future.

So many ways to accomplish this.
While in the past I’d look at a good mix of parts now I’d prioritize getting the best action and compromise elsewhere.
Barrels burn out and are easy to change, triggers and stock/chassis desires change but the action will probably stick with you for a long time.

I would pick up a used custom barreled action in the classifieds that takes prefit barrels. Drop it in a KRG Bravo chassis...

Or you May be able to get a complete used rifle for close to your budget.

You probably want to stay with a caliber that you can get ammo for. (this situation is improving, but the pipeline is still clogged)

Do you reload?

Good luck

Been happy with my tac a1, though it does shoot a little slow, but over all it’s pretty turn key for a 308 class of rifle.

I have an MPA BMR Pro and an RPR that has some mods. Happy wit both. Both are in 6.5 Creedmoor and not all that unhappy with the caliber. However, depending how serious you are, I would go down to one of the 6’s. Frankly, a bit easier to find components right now and they are better if PRS is the reason for purchase.

When I rebarrel, I am probably going to 6GT On at least one and keep the other 6.5. When a fellow gets heavily invested in one caliber, its hard to switch which is the reason the MPA is 6.5

I would pick up a used custom barreled action in the classifieds that takes prefit barrels. Drop it in a KRG Bravo chassis...

Or you May be able to get a complete used rifle for close to your budget.

You probably want to stay with a caliber that you can get ammo for. (this situation is improving, but the pipeline is still clogged)

Do you reload?

Good luck
Yes, I do reload…. I was looking at 6 CM but I have been reading it “eats barrels”

I have a MPA BA Pro in 6 CM with the EC tuner. It’s shoots in the .2-.3s with Berger hybrids and 108 EldM with no load development and only minor tweaking on the EC tuner.

There’s a M7 Mausingfield up for $1100 in the PX. That’s a great price, and a $600 prefit, $200 trigger, and $400-600 used starter chassis from the PX gets you in the game with a high-end option for the part that’s most expensive and inconvenient to upgrade: the action. You can upgrade the chassis later if you decide to get further into the game.

I highly recommend either doing this, or if you can wait another 8-10 months, ARC has a great July 4th sale. But that’s the price you’d pay the the Mausingfield during that sale, so if you liked that action, now’s the time.

Whoa!! That sounds perfect! Thanks! How about barrel life?
1500 rounds, give or take.

ETA: And no offense to the poster, but don’t get sucked into a single unsubstantiated accuracy claim. If the mfg could guarantee 0.2-0.3 MOA accuracy with no load development, better believe that they’d be shouting it from the rooftops. Still, it’s a very solid value.

Last edited:

ETA: And no offense to the poster, but don’t get sucked into a single unsubstantiated accuracy claim. If the mfg could guarantee 0.2-0.3 MOA accuracy with no load development, better believe that they’d be shouting it from the rooftops. Still, it’s a very solid value.

No offense taken but it’s one substantiated accuracy claim. The manufacturer has a 0.5 MOA accuracy claim and that’s without the EC tuner. I’m not a fanboy of any particular manufacturer and I can only attest to the accuracy of the one rifle I have.

I shot my first PRS match last year with a Howa Bravo and loved the match but was handicapped by the rifle. Shooting factory PRIME Ammo it was blowing primers and then light striking primers.

I came home after the match and immediately started trying to figure out how to get a “better” rifle for the next match only a month later. I quickly realized there was a 6-month to a year lead time for most builds but luckily stumbled across the aforementioned slightly used MPA BA Pro for sale here on the hide and purchased it.

Simply loaded some 105 hybrids to a desired speed and .085 jump (based on some research) and started playing with the EC tuner. On setting 2, the largest measured (3-shot) group to-date with the 105s has been 0.3 MOA. Don’t get me wrong, i feel I won the rifle lottery with this rifle. I was and still am amazed at the consistent accuracy of the rifle. The rifle hit 19 out of 20 targets from 800-1200 yards in it’s first match.

Just last week I decided to try and find a “practice load” with some discontinued Norma URP powder, CCI 200s and 3x fired mixed lot Hornady brass. Below is literally the first test group fired for this “cheaper” practice load. I already knew what tuner setting the rifle preferred for 108 EldMs with H4350.

A1BD7E1D-D864-46D5-82F3-FE1C892E34D1.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd consider a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in either 300 Win or 300 PRC. That's a full custom rifle with CF barrel for under 1900 bucks. Lot of gun for the money, I'm not a big fan of belted cases and with Lapua making 300 PRC brass in 2021 my vote would be 300 PRC but the 300 Winnie has been around for a long time for good reason so it's a good one too.

No offense taken but it’s one substantiated accuracy claim. The manufacturer has a 0.5 MOA accuracy claim and that’s without the EC tuner. I’m not a fanboy of any particular manufacturer and I can only attest to the accuracy of the one rifle I have.

I shot my first PRS match last year with a Howa Bravo and loved the match but was handicapped by the rifle. Shooting factory PRIME Ammo it was blowing primers and then light striking primers.

I came home after the match and immediately started trying to figure out how to get a “better” rifle for the next match only a month later. I quickly realized there was a 6-month to a year lead time for most builds but luckily stumbled across the aforementioned slightly used MPA BA Pro for sale here on the hide and purchased it.

Simply loaded some 105 hybrids to a desired speed and .085 jump (based on some research) and started playing with the EC tuner. On setting 2, the largest measured (3-shot) group to-date with the 105s has been 0.3 MOA. Don’t get me wrong, i feel I won the rifle lottery with this rifle. I was and still am amazed at the consistent accuracy of the rifle. The rifle hit 19 out of 20 targets from 800-1200 yards in it’s first match.

Just last week I decided to try and find a “practice load” with some discontinued Norma URP powder, CCI 200s and 3x fired mixed lot Hornady brass. Below is literally the first test group fired for this “cheaper” practice load. I already knew what tuner setting the rifle preferred for 108 EldMs with H4350.

View attachment 7823032
You did not win the lottery, it seems the company can produce. Friendly fellows to boot, willing to do whatever it takes to make their customers happy (in my experience)

My 6.5 has almost a thousand rounds through it. Without any special loading techniques it still shoots at 1/3 inch regularly. Not cherry picking groups either. Got bunches to show. It seems that just about every time I have to check something on paper, it puts em tight. Best group to date was one hole, while load testing a new bullet. Roughly 1/16” center to center group. That was when the rifle had over 800 rounds down the factory supplied barrel.

MPA, no brag, just fact.

With the availability of good shouldered prefits, I'd suggest looking at putting one together yourself and getting the components you want. There are several good entry level actions such as the the Bighorn Origin, which when paired up with a Proof stainless prefit barrel, would be around $1500 leaving you around $1000 for an entry level chassis and a decent trigger.

Just something to consider...

I'd consider a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in either 300 Win or 300 PRC. That's a full custom rifle with CF barrel for under 1900 bucks. Lot of gun for the money, I'm not a big fan of belted cases and with Lapua making 300 PRC brass in 2021 my vote would be 300 PRC but the 300 Winnie has been around for a long time for good reason so it's a good one too.
the fellow is looking for a rifle to shoot Precision Rifle matches. Neither cartridge you mentioned would be practical even if it was legal for the matches.

If you go with an already built option I'd go with the MPA option as I really like my MPA chassis. All the actions are good, bad rock and gap are using defiance actions. If you're at all mechanically competent you could screw on a prefit barrel on your action of choice and pick your chassis though if you went with a higher end chassis such as the MPA comp it would probably cost more without adding the cost of a trigger. Also the MPA has the arca interface built into it and the other options would need an addition of the arca rail. While having it isn't essential it is really is nice to have for the flexibility and ease of moving your bipod/plate to the optimum place for different stages at a PRS type match. The MPA is the easy button imo.

Any of Bergara's Premier rifles (HMR Pro, their chassis rifle) are going to be excellent choices. My HMR Pro shoots bugholes with most ammo at 100 yards and goes to 1200 yards with Hornady Match 140s on the regular at K&M Shooting Complex. The HMR Pro isn't a great choice if you want to be able to add weight, though... a consequence is that, even with relatively light 6.5CM recoil, it's still work to keep a target visual.

The Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro seems quite interesting, too! I don't know what a new barrel costs for those (if it's easy to get one). With a Bergara Premier rifle, you simple send in your rifle to Bergara, pay about $550 (may have raised the price recently), and get a new barrel.

And there's nothing wrong with getting a Tikka TAC rifle, learning on it... then selling the thing for almost what you paid for it when you are ready to build your custom rifle. If you ever get that far... which most guys don't (in reality) and most guys don't really need to.

Thanks! Taken in the spirit it is offered and I really appreciate both comments!

I have a .270 Winchester XTR (not even the good one) that I used to hunt with that I got in the early ‘70’s that grouped sub-MOA with the first load I tried. Straight out of the box like that. It was the first rifle I ever reloaded for. I wish I could say that happened with every rifle I’ve had since. 😞

Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts and perspectives. It is helping me a great deal.

the fellow is looking for a rifle to shoot Precision Rifle matches. Neither cartridge you mentioned would be practical even if it was legal for the matches.
….but thanks for the thought anyway….. I am a bit older now and a .300 Win Mag is a bit more drama per shot than I prefer nowadays! 😂

When I was 20 something if you could have done this with a .458 that’s what I would be looking for! My gas gun is a Grendel and I love the easy push per shot. But please know that I appreciate your input!

Zermatt origin $875
Proof Prefit $500
Trigger $180 (TT Special)
Muzzle Brake $165 (Hellfire Match)
Chassis $780 left. several options in this price range new. also plenty to grab a used one from the PX. or just spend a little more and get exactly what you want

wait time pretty minimal from Front Range Precision to do what i mentioned

alternatively. a Tikka CTR with a new chassis.

note the MPA PMR is a dulled down Curtis (gross) and doesn't have a muzzle brake either so add that to the cost

i wouldnt even consider the Tac A1, or an RPR, or a Daniel Defense, or a Christiansen, or a seekins, or a bad rock. they all really need 1 or more upgrades on top of the cost, or are just weird

This is an easy button, not perfect, but certainly gets you in the game with room to spare. You may eventually go a different route with the chassis, but this will let you know what you like and don't like.

Zermatt Origin or TL3
Trigger Tech Special
Proof prefit in 6 Creedmoor
KRG Bravo

Leaves you enough left over for a muzzle brake and some weights. Action, barrel and trigger can be ordered from Front Range Precision. Great guy to buy from.

Looking for a first BA for local PR matches. I have a gas gun but really would also like a chassis rifle. Budget without optics is $2500.

Very Interested in your opinion on Masterpiece Arms PMR Pro II, Tika T3X Tac 1 and the line of Ruger precision rifles coming from the custom shop lately.

Thought 6.5 CM would be a safe start even though there are other trendy calibers out there now.

Thanks!
Sweet looking rifle! Just got a Daniel Defense Delta 5 in 6.5 CM, less than a hundred rounds so far but so far happy!!! Getting the Nightforce squared away on it and looking forward to shooting some stars down soon! Or at least making the steel swing. Too many sweet rifles out there!!!

I am currently looking at the Bergara Ridgebacks. Comes with their premier action, the Grayboe Ridgeback stock (my all time favorite), and a decent triggertech trigger for $2000. Have not shot one yet, but IMO this is one of the best values out there right now.

View attachment 7823032
HOLY COW!

If you are looking to stay in Production class I would recommend the MPA PMR Pro II. I run the PMR in 6GT and love it. A buddy ran the Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor and it was a great shooter. Remember if you want to stay in production you can't modify the rifle. Bergara's Tika's shoot great so you won't go wrong there either. The Daniel Defense is also a nice rifle but all parts are proprietary.

If you are looking to stay in Production class I would recommend the MPA PMR Pro II. I run the PMR in 6GT and love it. A buddy ran the Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor and it was a great shooter. Remember if you want to stay in production you can't modify the rifle. Bergara's Tika's shoot great so you won't go wrong there either. The Daniel Defense is also a nice rifle but all parts are proprietary.
Thanks very much…….I did not know that about DD rifles. I would have hated finding out the parts were proprietary after I bought the rifle.

I exchanged some emails with Woody at MPA. I mentioned I was from IL and suppressors are not legal to own. I asked him about using their 6.5 brake on a Pro II instead, since I can’t use a suppressor. He suggested that I buy a Pro instead of the Pro II as it comes standard with their Brake.

He also pointed out a difference in the triggers. Can you think of any other differences between the Pro and the Pro II if I were to go in that direction?

Last edited:
Reactions: mobydidit
I own a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 308WIN and compete in the tactical division. It has been a great rifle to learn PRS type shooting and fine tuning my hand loads. I just rebarreled it after 6.5k rounds. That being said, the 308WIN is not ideal and I am upgrading to a 6 Dasher. The difference in the recoil will be significant along with the ballistics since these two factors are the most important in my opinion. My friend just received his GAP PPR rifle in 6GT and it is a tack driver. He will be competing in the production class. Good luck!

Thanks very much…….I did not know that about DD rifles. I would have hated finding out the parts were proprietary after I bought the rifle.

I exchanged some emails with Woody at MPA. I mentioned I was from IL and suppressors are not legal to own. I asked him about using their 6.5 brake on a Pro II instead, since I can’t use a suppressor. He suggested that I buy a Pro instead of the Pro II as comes standard with their Brake.

Can you think of any other differences between the Pro and the Pro II if I were to go in that direction?
Not sure there is much of a difference. Would definitely consider the Pro with the brake since you will need one. Woody and Lisa were great to deal with when ordering mine. They won't steer you wrong.

Thanks!
I was in your exact same position about 18 months ago. After a couple months of research I settled on the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM and couldn't be happier with my decision.

With the correct match grade ammunition I am comfortably hitting 12 X 12 inch steel consistently out to 1600 meters.

Only real upgrade I did was a Timmney trigger. There was nothing wrong with the stock trigger but the upgrade definitely lead to more consistent groupings.

Hope this helps.