• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action in 5.56 not 223 anyone make one ?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    Looking to get or build a bolt action but want to shoot all 5.56 components, as were all aware there is a difference in chambering and would like to pick up a bolt action that shoots same as my gas guns mostly 77 gr smk’s

Thanks in advance

There is usually no significant difference in chambering. Most of the difference is in the throat/leade area. The 5.56 usually has a longer one to allow for longer bullets or bullets seated longer. Most any modern. 223 bolt gun will fire 5.56 rounds without issues. At least many people on here do and claim it is safe. Obviously you could chamber a round and feel to see if the bullet is going into the lands, or you could measure you're distance to lands beforehand as a precaution.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    Ruger American Ranch.

That said, in my experience there are zero issues with Mk262 clone loads in a 223 chamber. Tikkas and Rugers and newer Howas come with 8 twist which is better for 77s but I've had luck with 75/77 HPBTs in 1:9 twists as come with Remingtons and Savages.

Ruger American Ranch.

That said, in my experience there are zero issues with Mk262 clone loads in a 223 chamber. Tikkas and Rugers and newer Howas come with 8 twist which is better for 77s but I've had luck with 75/77 HPBTs in 1:9 twists as come with Remingtons and Savages.

Yup, I have an old 9 twist 223 w70 and shoot 77s no problem...

Wylde chamber?
    There's been some nice barreled actions in the PX.
    I have a 22" 1-7.7 Bartlein/LRI/R700 that shoots both Mk262 and Norma .223 77smks very well. A zero shift does occur though, but repeatably.

So can you hand load the 5.56 to use in a 223 and correct the pressure issue by ensuring your say .010 to .022 off the lands

Was wanting to buy a sako Varmint in 223 as they do not make a 5.56

I have an aftermarket Savage small shank barrel in 5.56 with 1-7 twist. I ordered that as they did not offer 223 Wylde.

So can you hand load the 5.56 to use in a 223 and correct the pressure issue by ensuring your say .010 to .022 off the lands

Was wanting to buy a sako Varmint in 223 as they do not make a 5.56

If you are asking about hand loading "5.56" components safely for use in 223 then yes. When you hand load, it doesn't matter whether one is 5.56 or 223 because components are the same and interchangeable with one another. You are also custom loading to your specific barrel/chamber. You will be good to go.

Thanks for that
    If you are asking about hand loading "5.56" components safely for use in 223 then yes. When you hand load, it doesn't matter whether one is 5.56 or 223 because components are the same and interchangeable with one another. You are also custom loading to your specific barrel/chamber. You will be good to go.

Thank for that as I’m aware that chamber pressure can be varied greatly by bullet seating depth so leaving or starting at like .030 off the lands and looking for pressure issues should be a good starting point. I as most have a bunch of brass lake city and a few thousand sierra 77’s using 8208 powder

Reactions: stello1001
    The Ruger Precision rifle was 5.56. Also the Tikka is 5.56 due to the cip rating it has. I assume the Sako is CIP rated which would also make it 5.56 capable. Like others have said most 223 chambers should be good to go.

chamber-stuff-72.jpg