• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt Action newbie with another question.

apf383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2013
After filling the Internal mag on my Rem 700, is iit ok to load the chamber with a 5th round and close thr bolt behind it, or should I just pick one up from the mag, then top off. I know this practice is NG for the extractor when using a 1911, so I thought I would ask. Thanks.

That's how I do it on my hunting rifles. Not sure how it could affect the extractor since the bolt is completely forward by the time the extractor engages the case.

Just make sure you put downward pressure on the rounds in the mag until the bolt is clear and can not pick up another round.

+1 for hunting. Nothing is louder than ur shot in the woods than the sound of ratcheting a new round in.
Target, no reason to