• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action newbie would like some advice

gqllc007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
I have been shooting a long time but with AR's and Pistols. I virtually know nothing about bolt action. I am looking for either .223 or 308. I would like a precision bolt rifle that I could shoot from 100-300 yards and it is for target/range and steel shooting. I won't be hunting. I would say budget is 1000-1,750 with out optics. I really am looking for accuracy and best bang for your buck....any recommendations???
Thanks in advance!

Re: Bolt action newbie would like some advice

Get a 5r rem 700 in 308. Take the left over money and buy some reloading gear. My sps will shoot 3/8 if I do my part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiem1a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 5r rem 700 in 308. Take the left over money and buy some reloading gear. My sps will shoot 3/8 if I do my part. </div></div>

+1 on the r5 from asking the same question here i have come to the conclusion rem 700 actions are the best to go with out of box, close 2nd is savage 10 5r. Problem with the savage is the lack of upgradeable stocks and options.

I actual bought a savage 10 5r in .308 and it was a really good gun but sold it to my uncle only only because of the lack of stocks available for it

If you have a dicks sporting goods near you, you can get a rem varmint 700 in a few calibers for 499.99 with a 50.00 mail in rebate, now the stock is pretty ruff, you need to up grade or bed it your self and free float it if your not in to that just get a sps tactical or a 5r and you'll have a moa out of the box, if not >moa

Respectfully

Another vote for 5R in .308. I would have voted for .223 to allow you to shoot on the cheap but I have one, and it doesn't buck the wind very well. At the ranges you are talking about shooting the .308 is a great starting cartridge.
Enjoy,
SScott

+4 for Remington 700 5R. Plus you will have plenty left for a really nice scope
laugh.gif

Aron-

the 5R isn't all that great over the 700P or Savage 10FP, just pick up a 700P or SPS Tact, get a better stock for whatever you buy and spend the rest of good glass.

Another hint, hit the for sale section here. Get a better rifle even if it has been "previously loved". Might find a really good deal. Seen many top quality guns in your budget.

[/quote]
I actual bought a savage 10 5r in .308 and it was a really good gun but sold it to my uncle only only because of the lack of stocks available for it
[/quote]

What sort of stocks did you want for the savage? Because all the stocks that I've seen, include Savage for their inlets. Savage even has a DBM from CDI so there are definitely options out there for savage rifles.

Last year I was sitting in the exact spot you are now. After lurking around the forums for a while I knew I wanted a 700 in 308 with at lest a .820 diameter barrel. I ended up going with a SPS Tactical and haven't looked back yet. I got everything I wanted and had money left over to put toward glass.

Assuming that your budget for your scope doesn't depend on the cost of your gun, I'd go with the 5r.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gqllc007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting a long time but with AR's and Pistols. I virtually know nothing about bolt action. I am looking for either .223 or 308. I would like a precision bolt rifle that I could shoot from 100-300 yards and it is for target/range and steel shooting. I won't be hunting. I would say budget is 1000-1,750 with out optics. I really am looking for accuracy and best bang for your buck....any recommendations???
Thanks in advance! </div></div>

Screams 223 LTR to me. Punched mine 223AI and it does very nice things with 75A-Max,though 9" is a gamble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoomerTG1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sort of stocks did you want for the savage? Because all the stocks that I've seen, include Savage for their inlets. Savage even has a DBM from CDI so there are definitely options out there for savage rifles. </div></div>

the ai's don't the McRee's don't the xlr's don't i like the exotic look that's just what i have found, not a bad deal though i really liked my savage but bummed about stock and he was like, "Ill give you what you paid for it" couldn't pass that up, and ask any one i hate selling gun

Someone is always selling a Rem 5R on this site and it will be the best bang for the buck. However ammo for the 308 is more expensive then 223. If your new calculate the cost of ammo buying it factory vs reloading. My 5R likes the 175 SMK so pick the more expensive ammo when doing the math. My 223 is not so picky and not the right twist for the heavier rounds so it gets cheap ammo. At 300+ yards I prefer the 308.

I prefer the 223AI to 1K+.

Another vote for the 5R .308. Mine likes the 168 Hornaday Amax the best of the factory ammo I have tried.

You might want to check the FN SPR rifles - They will be out of the box accurate, equipped with a McMillan stock and 20moa rail. Might be worth a look but would push you toward the upper end of your budget. The bright side is that it will come out of the box ready to go. Cdnn usually has good deals but they aren't always in stock. Nothing wrong with the 5r's either. Just my $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the ai's don't the McRee's don't the xlr's don't i like the exotic look that's just what i have found, not a bad deal though i really liked my savage but bummed about stock and he was like, "Ill give you what you paid for it" couldn't pass that up, and ask any one i hate selling gun </div></div>

XLR does make a savage stock, AI says they are gonna, someday and Mccrees does make a savage stock

if you dont care about it looking tactical you might look into cooper, they shoot like .2 and .3 groups out of the box, and they will send you the card they shot, and what load they used to accomplish...