• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bolt action or semi-auto?

gladiator8us

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Georgia, USA
I'm on the fence for a CZ and am looking at the CZ 455 Varmint Thumbhole SST Fluted. Is there a big difference between the fluted and non-fluted barrel, other than weight? This would be my first .22 to purchase. Not sure if I should go with a bolt action or semi-auto. Just mainly want to plink but want a quality rifle. From what I can tell, all CZ barrels for .22 are at 20" and are highly modifiable. looking for some input here.

thanks

Not sure if I should go with a bolt action or semi-auto. Just mainly want to plink but want a quality rifle.

A $400 bolt action is likely going to be of higher quality and offer more accuracy than a $400 semi auto. The lines blur a bit as spending goes up.

Out of the box the CZ bolt guns are hard to beat. If your into tinkering the 10/22 has an endless supply of aftermarket parts.

The Savage semi auto in a 'tacticool' stock is hard to beat for the money in a truly fun gun. Depends what you want. All seriousness goes to the bolt. Seriousness is not always the order.

For "precision" I have a Savage Mark II FV-SR and love the hell out of it for the accu trigger and threaded barrel. For all else and AR training I have a S&W M&P 15-22. Better parts support that before with the Plinker Tactical metal charging handle and big mags. I picked up the Savage for 260 new and it's hard to beat for the price.

With the cost of ammo being what it is, bolt action gets the nod.
It slows down the rate of fire. Accuracy depends on ammo quality.
Even the less expensive semi-autos will produce quarter sized groups
at 50 yards using pistol match grade 22lr ammo. But load cheap bulk
22lr ammo into either a production bolt action or semi-auto rifle
and groups get to handball diameter due to poor ammo quality.
Buy quality ammo and the bolt action will outperform the semi-auto.
However, in the realm of custom rimfires, with match grade barrels
tweaked actions and triggers, custom stocks, the results at the target
are more dependent on the skill of the shooter and the quality of the ammo.
Basic rule of thumb: Accuracy is expensive, very expensive.

That being said, I still wander around in the brush with a Marlin 60 chasing small game
but at the range my CZ 455 American and Varmint multi-barrels/calibers are preferred for punching paper.

So, buy both a cheap semi-auto and a quality bolt action.
It's what you're gonna end up doing anyhow.
Ask me how I know. ;^)

Last edited:
Autos get dirty as hell and they can be finicky with slow match ammo. 10/22s are one of my more " pain in the ass" guns to clean. A 10/22 was my first .22 but I rarely shoot it any more. I like repeater bolt guns. Simple and accurate.

justin amateur, i'm afraid to ask how you know. i found a cheap marlin 60 semi with wooden stock for 175 at local wally world. i'll be placing an order this weekend for the CZ 455 Varmint Thumbhole SST Fluted, pricing around 570

i'm afraid to ask how you know

Started out with a Marlin 60 (17 round tube) over 30 years ago.
Never needed anything better for sneakin' up on tree rats or rabbits.
Reliable brush gun for for the areas I hunt here in Florida.
Then one day, a few years ago, I made the mistake of joining a gun/archery club.
Ruined everything for me. A semi-auto rifle that can hit a nickle at 20 yards
won't do it at 50 or 100. Can't have that. Next thing ya' know,
there's a growing collection of bolt action rimfires taking over the gun safe.

580144_288159444601394_447771697_n.jpg

10/22's are nice cause you can make them whatever you want and as far as accuracy goes i have put down 50 yard groups around .1 moa not offten but i have done it .4 is pretty normal for that rifle and me on a good day. just my suggestion. That being said that's a $1300 set up.

You seem to have your mind made up about a CZ and I'm sure you've done the research so I won't address that question. As far as the fluted barrel goes almost all barrel manufacturers will recommend against it. the only advantage is weight. disadvantates are barrel stresses, cost, and they heat up faster making follow up shots less accurate. These issues may not be much of an issue on a .22, but it may. I don't know. I do know that I won't run a fluted barrel on anything, It's not worth it to me. good luck!

Any CZ you get will be of good quality. Never heard a barrel manufacturer advice against fluteing. Yes, they'll heat faster because there's less metal....they'll also cool faster.... because there's less metal...and more surface area. Of coarse we're talkin same diameter barrels. Always have my eye out for good CZ, they're hard to beat without more $.

okie

Last edited:
Well, i bit the bullet today, figuratively speaking, and ordered the CZ 455 Varmint Thumbhole SST Fluted in .22lr. Cost was better than originally quoted, $529 + tax (beats the original $570 is was quoted). Only had to put down half the $$$ to place the order. I spent several hours yesterday reading every article I could find about fluted vs. non-fluted barrels and from my deduction, it won't make a difference for the .22lr, especially given the size of these barrels as well as the flutes. I'll also be ordering some additional 10 round magazines next week once the clerk gets back with me on price, even though they do show out of stock. Anyone know of issues with the poly mags or should I stick with the steel ones, even though they are only 5 rounders? My next quest will be around a good piece of glass and mount without breaking the bank, and to start checking into accessories. Now comes the wait time, not sure how long that will be since this is a new item for 2013, could be a week or months, who knows.

Nice choice on the rifle. Fluted will be nice for the weight savings if you will be carring it around at all. Optics seem to be harder to choose than the rifle. I have a Mueller APV on my 10/22T I have been happy with it. The recticle is a bit thick but other than that it is decent for the $$. I probably wouldn't put one on a center fire, but on the rimfire it has been good to go. You will have to determine what distances you will be shooting mostly.

Stay clear of cheap semi autos. It's hit or miss with reliability and when they are dirty feeding/extraction issues are a problem. A higher end and well built custom semi auto will do good but on a budget you cannot beat a bolt gun and specially if its a cz. The new savage tactical bolt 22 rifles are nice and shoot well.

Autos get dirty as hell and they can be finicky with slow match ammo. 10/22s are one of my more " pain in the ass" guns to clean. A 10/22 was my first .22 but I rarely shoot it any more. I like repeater bolt guns. Simple and accurate.

How is a 10/22 a pain in the ass to clean? It only has 3 bolts. Hell only 1 if you don't remove the barrel from the action. Plus the trigger group as a unit as well as the bolt can be dropped into an ultra sonic cleaner and then relubed so realistically the only thing you have to do is clean the barrel and action which you would do on a bolt gun anyhow... now the savage model 64, that can be a bit of a pain. As far as accuracy, a good trigger and barrel and you have an auto that will shoot with ANY bolt action rimfire, and theres no shortage of companies making either for the 10/22.

I have one of each. Find myself using the CZ way more. The bolt action slows me down and encourages thoughtful shots. Like em both though. Can't go wrong and I'd be willing to bet that at some point you to end up with one of each :)