• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bolt action pistol, is HS Precision the only mfg (current)?

pawprint2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
HS Precision makes a Great bolt action pistol, I'm seriously thinking about order one. Are they the only MFG currently making a bolt action pistol? It looks like Rem, Savage and the rest have just given up on the this category of weapons. Any thoughts or info on other manufacturers would be great.

In the 90s Dan Dowling (Gunsmith, Palisade CO) made a bolt-action pistol in 460 Weatherby for a client in Hawaii -- he wanted a pig shooter. One Saturday night at a match in Ault there was a challenge to see if anyone would shoot it.

What caliber are you considering? 460 Weatherby in a handgun seems a little overkill, but something like 300 blackout would be pretty sweet.

In the 90s Dan Dowling (Gunsmith, Palisade CO) made a bolt-action pistol in 460 Weatherby for a client in Hawaii -- he wanted a pig shooter. One Saturday night at a match in Ault there was a challenge to see if anyone would shoot it.

A few beers and a sandbag under / over the wrist and I might consider it, maybe a couple of Bourbons thrown in too...

I am considering an 7mm BR, very effective, very accurate, and fun to shoot. I couldn't find where Kelby was mfg a bolt action pistol. I for one, would be glad to see Remington bring back the XP's! When the old ones are selling for 2-3 times as much as they did new, I believe there is a market-hint, hint. I'm not opposed to the HS Precision offering, their products are always great, really they are no BS types. It's too bad, there isn't a larger selection of New bolt action handguns, I guess these are times we live in...

I just saw a guy on Facebook that used a McRees chassis with a 700 action. It's easy to remove the buttstock assembly on those.

Would converting a 700 to a handgun be legal? I am only interested in a 100% fully legal/all taxes paid type weapon. But thanks for the heads up!

If the action has never been built into a rifle it can be built into a handgun with no extra work, assuming you don't have to register a pistol in the state you live in. You can buy new Savage Target actions for around $550, not very often you see brand new Remington actions that haven't been built into anything.

Works with AR15 receivers no reason a bolt action would be any different.

If the action has never been built into a rifle it can be built into a handgun with no extra work, assuming you don't have to register a pistol in the state you live in. You can buy new Savage Target actions for around $550, not very often you see brand new Remington actions that haven't been built into anything.

Works with AR15 receivers no reason a bolt action would be any different.
I thought AR receivers that were marked "multi caliber" could be made into a pistol, but any receiver made as a rifle receiver (along with the federal tax being paid as such) could only be made into a rifle (with the exception of short barreled class III type stuff). I looked up the BATF regulations, this is what I found:
The NFA, Title 26, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 53, requires that persons manufacturing, importing, transferring, or possessing firearms as defined in the NFA comply with the Act’s licensing, registration, and taxation requirements. The NFA defines the term “firearm” at 26 U.S.C. 5845(a) to include “(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;” (“short-barreled rifle”) and “(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length” (“weapon made from a rifle”). The term “rifle” is defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c) and 27 CFR 479.11 as “a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.” Although not defined in the NFA, the term “pistol” is defined by the Act’s implementing regulations, 27 CFR 479.11, as “a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)” (emphasis added). However; I was able to find in a BATF discussion page, if an AR lower had NEVER BEEN assembled as a rifle you could mfg a pistol, so I believe you are spot on in your statement.
But, nonetheless, I'm more interested in a single shot action, it would better serve my intended purpose. But thanks for the input.

Last edited:
You can build a 5.56mm pistol out of a 5.56mm marked receiver and you can build or change the caliber of any handgun without any registration or notification required. The markings are irrelevant, as stated as long as it's never been a rifle you can build any receiver into a pistol. The only potential issue would be with older receivers purchased on the old 4473 where the only choices were long gun or hand gun. If long gun was checked I could see a potential issue but it would still have to be proven that the receiver was built into a rifle first.