• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action question(which should I pick up)

Klay23

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 27, 2021
    South Carolina
    I’m looking for something that you can change calibers on. I read somewhere here that you can do that with a bolt change of some sort. I would also like to be able to change barrels if I ever needed to without sending it to someone else but it to be done easily and accurately. I also would prefer rem 700 footprint so of course there are options upon options for stocks, triggers etc. What action should I look at? I want accuracy, great accuracy. Caliber is not decided at this point. I have a MPA BA 6.5 that shoots great and I do like it. But I can’t change anything as it has a first gen Curtis axium.

I’m looking for something that you can change calibers on. I read somewhere here that you can do that with a bolt change of some sort. I would also like to be able to change barrels if I ever needed to without sending it to someone else but it to be done easily and accurately. I also would prefer rem 700 footprint so of course there are options upon options for stocks, triggers etc. What action should I look at? I want accuracy, great accuracy. Caliber is not decided at this point. I have a MPA BA 6.5 that shoots great and I do like it. But I can’t change anything as it has a first gen Curtis axium.

Just cause Gen 1 has an unusual shank doesn't mean you can't change it, just need to tell the smith what to cut when they spin up your barrel. Prefits are what I think you're talking about though, and no, you likely couldn't run those.

The bolt change depends on the action. Some have swappable bolt heads, some require a totally new bolt. New bolts run $2-300, new bolt heads run $1-200.

"Accuracy, great accuracy" is achievable with basically any decent action. The shooter, the barrel, the load, the stock/supports, and the action will influence accuracy, basically in that order unless there's an issue with the stock/chassis or the installation thereof.

Since you're looking for a switch barrel setup, scan through the PX for prefit barrels that have come up for sale and see which action(s) pop up the most. Then skip the ones that don't have swappable bolt heads, and that should narrow it down pretty quick.

Reactions: Klay23
    I’m not 100% sure I’m understanding your priorities. You should be able to handle a DIY barrel swap on any modern R700 footprint custom action with some simple tools.

If you want really simple barrel changes, check out Terminus Zeus.

If your priority is just swapping out a bolt head in lieu of a whole bolt, check out Zermatt, ARC.

I’m not 100% sure I’m understanding your priorities. You should be able to handle a DIY barrel swap on any modern R700 footprint custom action with some simple tools.

If your priority is just swapping out a bolt head in lieu of a whole bolt, check out Zermatt, ARC.
    Good actions both, but ARC prefits are harder to come by. Bergara also has swappable bolt heads on their Premier bolt, but it's got an odd breech design that just makes it hard to find prefits without providing much benefit at all. I'd steer clear of those.

Well, take for instance my cz 457. I bought the lilja barrel and figured out how to headspace and shim it and it shoots lights out. I want something simple like that if I decide to shoot something different or a new wonder cartridge happens to come out. Just trying to look ahead as this world is always changing and just want to pick one that is great quality and also easy for me to change if I ever needed or wanted to. The bolt head change only was brought up because I read it here somewhere. I don’t know much about that but don’t have any problems doing some reading or finding a video and getting it done. What I’m attempting to do is narrow my search of actions that are popular(for barrel purposes-prefits) and gain more perspective on what’s out there and user friendly.

Well, take for instance my cz 457. I bought the lilja barrel and figured out how to headspace and shim it and it shoots lights out. I want something simple like that if I decide to shoot something different or a new wonder cartridge happens to come out. Just trying to look ahead as this world is always changing and just want to pick one that is great quality and also easy for me to change if I ever needed or wanted to. The bolt head change only was brought up because I read it here somewhere. I don’t know much about that but don’t have any problems doing some reading or finding a video and getting it done. What I’m attempting to do is narrow my search of actions that are popular(for barrel purposes-prefits) and gain more perspective on what’s out there and user friendly.

Any receiver with Remington threads (forget the thread specs now) can be a switch barrel with a shoulderless barrel, a barrel nut, a nut spanner, and a set of headspace gauges.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
    Just cause Gen 1 has an unusual shank doesn't mean you can't change it, just need to tell the smith what to cut when they spin up your barrel. Prefits are what I think you're talking about though, and no, you likely couldn't run those.

The bolt change depends on the action. Some have swappable bolt heads, some require a totally new bolt. New bolts run $2-300, new bolt heads run $1-200.

"Accuracy, great accuracy" is achievable with basically any decent action. The shooter, the barrel, the load, the stock/supports, and the action will influence accuracy, basically in that order unless there's an issue with the stock/chassis or the installation thereof.

Since you're looking for a switch barrel setup, scan through the PX for prefit barrels that have come up for sale and see which action(s) pop up the most. Then skip the ones that don't have swappable bolt heads, and that should narrow it down pretty quick.
    I

I bought this MPA knowing that they were good shooters typically. I did not know much about the action or this world then. It’s shoots really well though. Found a good load for it with some Bergers. I’m trying to avoid having to send a gun to someone else like I will have to with this action once this barrel is done.

Impact, defiance, basically any of the actions that use a shouldered prefit. You just clamp the barrel down in a vise, screw the action on, put in an action wrench and torque down to the manufacturer's recommended specs, check headspace and you're done. Accuracy will come down to the barrel, ammo and you.

Defiance Machine Ruckus. Pre-fit barrel of choice (call them to get the specs right don't just order it). Get a nice trigger and stock.

That's a rifle.

Edit: you'll need an optic. I'm sure you'll fine one.

Or, just go AI.
    Go on, I know you want to.....
    😈
    This 👆👆👆.

During Thanksgiving break I took my AI to TX and walked the 308 Win out to 1000yd. Swapped the barrels to the 6CM in under 2 min and walked it out to 1000yds. Then switched back to the 308 Win barrel and dialed for 1k and got a 1st round hit. Even I was amazed at the repeatability of the AI. Barrel swaps in the field in under 2 min with little to no change in POI (aside from the obvious difference in POI between calibers).

This was on an AXSA with a Bartlein 308Win barrel and a Proof Carbon 6CM barrel both at 24in with a TBAC Ultra 7 on the end.

Edit: This was done the FGMM ammo too. Not custom hand loads.

Between my Tikka, Sako, and AI, I'm spoilt rotten for nice rifles.
    Granted, my Sako and AI are a bit old now, but the quality is still there and always a pleasure to use them.

You want to check out the Seekins Havak HIT rifle. Quick change barrel and accurate. It takes AI and AW magazines with adjustable mag well.

Better get an action that you can swap out bolt faces on. I have a big horn origin that’s a good action for the price. I really like ARC actions as well.