• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Action Rifle Cam

Revenge Seeker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
VA. U.S.A
Okay here goes. Is the idea when cutting the Cam inside a Remington 700-esque action, are you in essence just going to take an internal bore to the outer diameter and length of the bolt lugs? or is there more to it than this?

Re: Bolt Action Rifle Cam

The cam for the cocking piece is on the bolt body itself ,the cam in the action is on the bolt lug embunkments (battery cam) and in the rear on the action and the bolt handel (extraction cam)

check out Nathan Dagley's video , not so much explaing what your looking for , more so in relation to action timing

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/vie...tm_medium=image

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Machined area in the action, which allows for re-cocking of the firing pin. </div></div>

The striker groove, located in the bottom of the receiver tang is what holds/guides the striker during firing/cocking. As the handle is lifted after firing, the cocking piece on the striker travels along the cocking cam in the rear of the bolt body until it is parked in the notch adjacent to the cocking cam. When the handle is lowered the striker engages the sear bar (Hand off) and as the handle locks into battery the bolt body has moved forward with the aid of the battery cam located in the receiver lug abutments thus placing tension on the firing pin spring until released.

Very complicated process to machine all of this and make it work like it should. Good Luck

on three lug design, is it common to use the same extraction cam as a 2-lug design? I was looking at the BAT site and can't see any kind of extraction cam on the bolt handle. Wondering what other methods of extraction cam are out there?

Dave

The badger action uses the same type of extraction cam. I don't remember on the BAT that I have seen.