• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt-Action Shorty Rifle Build... info?

AMM0

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
WISCONSIN
www.facebook.com
Did a search & didn't find anything quite this specific.

Not gonna lie. One of my favorite threads on SH is the 16"-18" Shorty Rifle Build/Photo Thread. It cheers me up! Kudos to all of you who have contributed to that thread. Your rifles are beautiful beasts! Aside from the insane amount of gun p0rn in that thread, there was yet another user here who posted a link not too long ago regarding a Remington 700 with a 16.5" barrel that came stock from the factory. This intrigued me.

I have searched the darkest depths of the Internet & as far as I can tell - that Remington 700 SPS Tactical chambered in .308 with a factory 16.5" threaded barrel is discontinued & sold out. I learned from Remington that it's MODEL 85538 sold to one select distributor in the U.S.

I'm beginning to lose faith & realize the MODEL 85538 will remain a figment of my imagination.

I actually love the look of the shorty rifles & am in need of a hunting rifle, anyway. The 16.5" barrel would give me the flexibility of a brush/hunting rifle that I could also tinker around with & have some fun at the range. I live & hunt in Wisconsin & if I'm presented with a 100-yard shot during deer season, that would be considered a fairly long shot. In other words, I'm not looking for a 1,000-yard tack driver & I'm not huntin' antelope on the plains of Montana where a 600-yard shot is a drop in a bucket. It simply isn't realistic in my neck of the woods (no pun intended).

Exhibit A.
This is the area I hunt & as you can, it's fairly thick.
smile.gif

P1010811_zps3aec6023.jpg

My question is this... I don't want my initial cost to be extravagant. Is there any other factory creature like the MODEL 85538 that exists...? To the best of my knowledge, there isn't but thought I'd check with you guys to be sure.

That being said, what's my next best viable option in starting a shorty rifle build? Should I simply stick with the standard Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle with the heavy 20" barrel or perhaps the AAC-SD rifle and then get it cut down by a local gunsmith? I'm assuming it would be possible to put a brake on the original barrel after it's cut down by a gunsmith? Sorry for the n00b questions, but this will honestly be my first real bolt-action rifle (unless you count the Mossberg .17HMR I use for small game) I've been borrowing my Uncle's .270 for deer hunting as long as I can recall.

Anywho, my apologies in advaance for the lengthy post. Have a great night and an awesome weekend, guys!
smile.gif

Re: Bolt-Action Shorty Rifle Build... info?

My suggestion is just as you said. Make sure a competent smith performs the work but the 20" 5R or the AAC-SD can be cut down and threaded for any brake of your liking. If if were me I'd go with the 5R.

It's a pretty simple job for a "competant" gun smith, to cut one down. I had APA do a 700P a while ago.

Lee.

i have a Rem 700 AAC-SD (20" barrel) and love it but i understand where you are coming from. i was going to build a rifle with a 16" barrel but i had a SOCOM 16 in my safe collecting dust so i threw a scope on it and i have shot a few deer with it and all of them within 100 yards.

only thing i can think of is buy the AAC-SD or a savage model 10 (which ever brand you prefer) and have the smith cut it down. or build your own out of a stevens 200.

I'm sure if you look around you may find them for ale on gunbroker

Between here and ar15.c0m, you will be able to find a 5R or AAC rifle or barreled action used. Send it off to someone (Short Action Customs, in my case) and have it cut and threaded to the length of your choice. Mark at SAC says my 18.5 inch AAC is printing in the .4 range with 175 gr fodder. If it's a 5R, go shoot. If it's an AAC, snag a used LTR stock or similar for it. Get the detachable mag hankering? Send the stock to Jeff at CDI Precision for him to inlet his DBM for you. Post pics, whatever you do.
smile.gif

I really appreciate all the replies, you guys!

Coincidentally enough, there is a fairly large gun show this weekend that actually starts tonight from 3 p.m. - 8 p.m. I'm headed there right after work to see what I can find.
smile.gif

In the meantime, I'll check out Short Action Customs and see what kind of experienced gunsmiths we have in my area. There's gotta be someone in this state!

I'll post up this evening if I have any luck at the gun show after work this afternoon.

Check with Russel Banks at Scout Supply Comaony (his name of here s SSC) he does a package with the Remington 700 SPS Tacticals that he fixes up a bit. I believe they sell for around $850. I know for certain he has done a few with short barrels for people.
www.scoutsupplycompany.com
He did this rifle for me.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...881#Post3670881

The barrel is 18" on mine. Check him out, he does good quality, inexpensive, and quick work!

No such luck at the gun show.
frown.gif

It was AR-15 everything there. ugh. Handful of bolt-action goodness, but for the most part... it was tables and tables and tables of black AR-15's for as far as the eye could see.

I'll second the idea of giving Scout Supply Company a call.
He has the SPS with a stage one accuracy process for $825. He will cut the barrel to whatever length you want and you'll have a action that's been trued/squared and a barrel that's been set back and rechambered with a match chamber along with a new crown. He also threads the barrel and makes a thread cap all for this price. It's not a bad deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58blackflag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check with Russel Banks at Scout Supply Comaony (his name of here s SSC) he does a package with the Remington 700 SPS Tacticals that he fixes up a bit. I believe they sell for around $850. I know for certain he has done a few with short barrels for people.
www.scoutsupplycomany.com
He did this rifle for me.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...881#Post3670881

The barrel is 18" on mine. Check him out, he does good quality, inexpensive, and quick work! </div></div> I was also looking for the same gun as you AMMO. Check grabagun.com, last time I was there they had some in stock(just checked it was the .300 blackout model and it is sold out sorry).+1 on scout supply company route. (Just to let you know 58blackflag, your link to scout supply company wont work because you forgot the "P" in company.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll second the idea of giving Scout Supply Company a call.
He has the SPS with a stage one accuracy process for $825. He will cut the barrel to whatever length you want and you'll have a action that's been trued/squared and a barrel that's been set back and rechambered with a match chamber along with a new crown. He also threads the barrel and makes a thread cap all for this price. It's not a bad deal. </div></div>

OK. I bookmarked Scout Supply Company and will give this some serious thought.

Is the added cost at $825 justifiable...?

The best price I've found on the Remington 700 SPS Tactical brand new in the box just under $600 + free shipping to my FFL. Is the extra $225 + shipping costs worth the additional features you mentioned? ...it sounds like they probably are?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll second the idea of giving Scout Supply Company a call.
He has the SPS with a stage one accuracy process for $825. He will cut the barrel to whatever length you want and you'll have a action that's been trued/squared and a barrel that's been set back and rechambered with a match chamber along with a new crown. He also threads the barrel and makes a thread cap all for this price. It's not a bad deal. </div></div>

OK. I bookmarked Scout Supply Company and will give this some serious thought.

Is the added cost at $825 justifiable...?

The best price I've found on the Remington 700 SPS Tactical brand new in the box just under $600 + free shipping to my FFL. Is the extra $225 + shipping costs worth the additional features you mentioned? ...it sounds like they probably are?
</div></div>
I think it is worth the extra money! Having the action tried, the chamber set back, and the barrel cut to your preferred length is quite a bit of smith work for that price! it's basically getting a semi-custom rifle for less the a grand.

(Just to let you know 58blackflag, your link to scout supply company wont work because you forgot the "P" in company.)

Fixed it! My bad.

Ammo, just a little different take on your situation. I hunt in the mountains of Virginia and they look exactly like the picture that you have shown. I rarely ever get to shoot at a deer that is more than 60-70 yards away and that is a long shot. In those types of situations I actually like to hunt with semi's for the very quick follow up shot if I need it. And, that is why I started hunting with a 6.8mm type AR. It is light, handy and has enough knock down power for deer on the east coast to include our black bears. There are also other calibers too, such as the 6.5 Grendel, that also work but I think it is worth thinking about.

I have bolt guns and I hunt with them on our power-lines where I can get a longer shot but normally I always carry the 6.8mm. It is just so easy to dispense the deer with. Just food for thought.

Heck if you want to get really creative, and maneuverable, pay the extra $200 tax stamp and make the 6.8mm an SBR with a 12.5" barrel and then you are really packing fire power in a small package.

The area I hunt in Kentucky looks just like OP's area (if not a bit thicker honestly) and I personally think anything 22" or shorter is fine for treestand hunting.

IMO, look at a 700 Tactical or AAC-SD, or a Savage 10FP-SR or 11 Hog Hunter. Get a new stock if you need/want one, get a 20MOA base, a Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 scope from Midway and you'll have a good dual purpose rifle.

Of course...if OP wants a short sword, he should get one
grin.gif

My suggestion would be to check out the Savage 10FCM Scout. It's very compact and easy handling. Mine is chambered for 7.62x39, which would be an acceptable caliber for close-in brush hunting and would not require a brake, but it also comes chambered for .308.

I removed the peep rear sight and Scout scope mount and replaced it with a conventional mount and 2.5-10x42 Tasco MilDot scope. Alternatively, the scout mount could remain in place and work with a Dot/Reflex sight, or a long eye-relief pistol scope.

I opted for the conventional mount because I only see the Scout mount as being useful for allowing both a scope and loading from stripper clips. This rifle has no such loading option.

With 7.62x39 HDY 110gr V-Max handloads, mine turned out to be accurate enough to upgrade the optics to the 6-24x42 version of the Tasco MilDot. The Sierra 125gr Pro Hunter SP is a good deer hunting round out of this rifle and chambering.

The 7.62x39 performs similar to the .300 Blackout, and has long been a viable option for suppressed subsonics.

Comes with a 4rd D/M, 20.5" barrel, 39.75" Length, 6.65lb w/o Optics or ammo. Real world retail. This is a production firearm with a factory warrantee.

Greg