• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt action single to repeater

Re: Bolt action single to repeater

then how thick is your wallet?

Are you wanting to feed from a detachable mag or an internal box?

Thick enough but not foolish. If cheaper to buy a new action. I would think it might be cheaper to machine it than buy new.

Basically bolt up a bottom metal to it and remove metal from the action until the magazine clicks in.

Dar

CALL Chad Dixon, Tell him EXACTLY what you have in mind.
Chad will tell you straight up.

Long Rifles Inc. 1-605-490-2561

N

Id sell the single shot and buy the repeater. You will spend a lot of money machining it and making it work.

im wondering the same thing cuz i have a remington 700 XR100 in 22-250 that i wish wasnt a single shot

Shipped to my Gunsmith and the wait begins. I like the actions if they cost cheaper than a new. Then that is better than buying a new action.
I thought the same thing about buying a new action but then what to do with these. Sell them at a discount price and lose on that or just get it done.

took the actions off today. One action was goulded. That is a bitch to get off. The first action came right off. The next one took a little work. Sending the actions off to get the work done.

Guess it's too late to impact your actions, but it seems like a no-brainer to simply sell the single-shot and buy a repeater. Why spend money turning one into the other when you can just swap out. I guarantee that will be cheaper and faster.

When I asked about converting a SS 40X action into a repeater by milling out the bottom several smiths here advised against it, notably William Roscoe, Jered Joplin and Randy from R&D Precision. I took the advice and left it alone and only blueprinted it and made it into a fast twisted 243.

The 40x action will lose its value by milling it. I dont think the Lawton 7500 action will lose much. I don't plan on selling the actions after the work is done. I will post the cost of the milling after the work is done.

Losing it's value wasn't a factor, something about if it's not done properly , undue stress could be induced. I heeded the advice.

My gunsmith didn't really seam to think it would be a problem. He has built about 15 customs for me. He has been a machinist for 40 years. I would think he would have said something.