• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Face Fire Etching

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
So a while ago I noticed some fire etching on the bolt face of my 6.5CM AR-10. I went back and looked at my shot brass and I can't find the culprit. Either way, is this a safety issue or is it mostly a cosmetic one?

I know bolts are cheap and I have one on order, I'm just wondering how motivated I should be to swap it out.

20200331_083435.jpg

Wouldn't worry about it at that level. Actually on second thought the ejector looks pretty ugly. Id be concerned if ejection is weak because the ejector gets hung up. As you said bolts are cheap.

Any chance you are reloading with Winchester primers?

Just changing the bolt doesn't solve the issue.

Why are you getting blow by?

Wouldn't worry about it at that level. Actually on second thought the ejector looks pretty ugly. Id be concerned if ejection is weak because the ejector gets hung up. As you said bolts are cheap.

Any chance you are reloading with Winchester primers?

Just changing the bolt doesn't solve the issue.

Why are you getting blow by?
Funny you should mention Winchester Primers, because yes I do. I shoot Hornady 140 gr american gunner ammo 90% of the time. It's only seen probably 50 rounds of handloads.

I have the same issue with Winchester LRPs and Fed brass.

Im switching to Fed primers from now on because I get shit tons of Fed brass.

Win primers seem to work fine in brass that had crimped primers and offer a tight primer pocket.

Would you like to buy all my Win primers?

I'm not so sure about the Winchester primers, this is 99% Federal Match 210M primers and Lapua brass and NO hot loads:

IMG_3884-M.jpg