• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt Face Question

glbreil

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2013
McLeansboro, IL
In the short range bench rest game a lot of people use a standard .308 bolt face for the smaller PPC cartridge rather than having two bolts. This works very well and pulls and ejects with put problems.

I am wondering if anyone is using a Cheytac bolt for the smaller 338LM and if the bolt pulls the cartridge ok and if they have had any problems.

Thanks in advance Gary Breiling

Gary
I have a Tac-408 action sitting here and after reading your post I decided to try it out.
The 408 case appears way larger to the naked eye but once I put a 338 Lapua case into the bolt it fit quite nicely and didn't pop out.
I will try and post a couple pictures so you can see the fit.I was going to call Jerry and see how much for a spare bolt but now it looks like I won't have to.
Mine is the 1.600 inch repeater model.The extractor is a M16 style and not a Sako style.In the pictures I didn't remove the plunger and couldn't hold the case straight and operate the camera at the same time.
Lynn

Attachments

• 100_0556.jpg
    100_0556.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0557.jpg
    100_0557.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Lynn,

It is really only .025" larger per side which doesn't seem like much on a case that big. I ordered some PTG Cheytac bolts and was wondering if they would work for the 338 LM, I think once I get every thing here I will give it a try. Thanks for the help and the pictures!

Gary

Gary
I saw some large diameter bolts on the PT-G website but when I called the lady said they were for Remingtons even though they were 0.750 in diameter.
The extractor is so big if it didn't grab every time I would buy a second extractor and Tig a small amount of weld onto it and dress it down with a file.
Were the PT-G bolts for the Tac-408?
Lynn

Lynn, I would be pretty sure they are exactly like the bolt you have the pictured except with out the melonite coating. Here is a link to the page http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/specials2.htm just scroll down toward the bottom. And yest they have the Cheytac bolt face with the M16 extractor cut. I have ordered 3 of them they should be here pretty soon and I am going to build an action to fit them.

Just curious how long is that Stiller Tac-408?

Thanks Gary

Lynn,

I replied yesterday but put a link to the bolts and it didn't post. I guess that isn't allowed.

Anyway I would be pretty sure they are the exact same bolt you have pictured with out the melonite coating on them.

They have a Cheytac bolt face and an M16 extractor. I bought 3 I am going to build some actions for them.

How long is that action and bolt that you have pictured?

Thanks Gary

Lynn, I would be pretty sure they are exactly like the bolt you have the pictured except with out the melonite coating. Here is a link to the page http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/specials2.htm just scroll down toward the bottom. And yest they have the Cheytac bolt face with the M16 extractor cut. I have ordered 3 of them they should be here pretty soon and I am going to build an action to fit them.

Just curious how long is that Stiller Tac-408?

Thanks Gary

Gary
The Tac-408 I have is the repeater model and it is 10.25 inches long and 1.60 in diameter.
The bolt is a Remington clone 0.750 diameter and 7.50 long without the firing pin assembly.I am making it into a 338 Snipe-Tac running the 300 grain Sierrra's and Bergers at 3300 fps.
The barrel is a Krieger stainless steel 1.450 for 6 inches then its a straight taper to 1 inch at the muzzle 32 inches long.
The link worked fine and that is the same bolt I asked them about.
Lynn