• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Bolt Face Question

Rustybroadhead

Anschutz North America
Minuteman
May 15, 2012
Alabama
I am interested in building a 6.5x55 from an old .270win Remington 700 that I have. I know the case head of the 6.5 is slightly larger than the .270 and the bolt face will have to be opened up to make it work. My question is this.... If somewhere down the road I want to go back to a '06 family cartridge, will the bolt still work with the face opened up or will I have to replace the bolt at that point? I don't think it would be a safety issue but rather just ejection problems if I switch it back.

If this is a seriously DA question, I apologize, I just don't know much about gunsmithing.....

Thanks

Thanks... I figured it would but I wanted to be sure before I went and did it.

Thanks for humoring a dumb rookie!

I wonder why you would change from a .270 to a 6.5x55? If for hunting, the little difference in the ctgs would favor the .270 Win. if shooting inside of 500-600 yards?. I have seen very few shot out .270's as they are normally hunting rifles. Just wondering??

Well... It is my own fault. It was the first gun I ever bought and I simply did not take care of it. The action is in good shape but the I let the bore rust. I have plenty of other hunting rifles including a Win 70 in 6.5x55. I have really enjoyed shooting it and think that rebuilding this remington into a heavy barrel longer range rifle would be a lot of fun. I also have been wanting to try some of the local tactical matches and this seemed like a good choice for the long action. I also have considered 280AI but I am afraid that the cost to reload it and the recoil it will produce make it less appealing to me. I am open to caliber suggestions though.....

That one is as good as any if you are satisfied with brass selection. Could also go 6.5x284 and use Lapua. It works best in a long action like yours.
Good luck with your project.
RTH