• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt gun build for Magpul Dynamics class.

decodeddiesel

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Denver, CO
Hey everyone,

I posted up a thread a few months ago soliciting advise for the rifle and equipment I would need for an upcoming Magpul Dynamics precision rifle class I will be attending in June. Here is the original thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1633006

Well I figured some people may be interested in reading about the bolt gun build up to this point and my rational behind many of the decisions I have made. Just a warning, but this thread is going to be a little long.

I started researching in earnest in January and started a google spread sheet on it: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlUV5Ds9a1C9dFNzOWlZcEpmd3llY0E5WHBXdGRDeXc&hl=en.

First decision I made was the caliber. I initially debated between a .223 and a .308 for this build. I soon figured the .308 is the way to go. I believe it is an excellent choice in this rifle for a number of reasons. The cartridge it's self is perhaps one of the best all around cartridges for use out to 800-1000 yards. I can take hogs, as well as elk or mule dear with this round no problem. The ammo is available everywhere in the US, and reloading components and data is plentiful. Plus I have always wanted a .308.

Next I started on the rifle. I first looked at the Savage Precision Carbine, the Remington LTR, and Remington SPS Tactical all in .308. I wanted something with a 20" barrel so as to keep the build nice and "handy". Eventually I will probably chop the barrel to 18" and thread for a suppressor but that's far in the future. I got to see a Savage at the local fun shop. The Savage was OK, but something about it was just lacking compared to the Remington. I then got to reading about the great success people have had with the SPS barreled actions and the accuracy people were getting. The LTR is very nice, but after holding one I knew I would want to ditch the HS precision stock, and getting the SPS would free up funds for a new stock. I searched extensively online for an SPS tactical in .308 and everything was dry. Finally I got a notification in from Buds saying they had some in stock and I pounced. Good thing because they sold out in a day or two.

Next decision was the optic. Initially I was set on a Leupold LR/T MK4 3.5-10 with M2 turrets. I just knew this is what they used on the SASS and having fired on in the Army and been impressed I figured that would be a good optic. Then I started researching a lot on The Hide. Soon I realized that having a MIL based reticle and MOA based turrets was not going to be ideal. I also have been a fan of Nightforce for some time and having seen the awesome reputation NF has on this board I decided to go with them. I got the NXS 3.5-15x50 with NP-R1 reticle. I ordered it and the NF 20 MOA base and NF alloy rings from Euro Optics.

The last major thing was a replacement for the huge pencil eraser Remington puts their SPS Tactical into, aka the Hogue stock. I initially looked at the AICS 1.5, and was set on it until I saw how much it weighed, and how much my rifle would weigh with it. Yikes! So much for "handy". After some research here I found Tom Manners and his excellent stocks. I started looking and found the T2A seemed to be an excellent choice. I called Tom and talked to him about it. I placed an order with him for the T2A, with 2 left side flush cups, Harris Bipod stud, his DBM mini-chassis, and 3 color GAP cammo. I am still waiting for the stock, but Tom mentioned he will do everything in his power to get it to me ASAP since I will be using it in this class in June.

I got the rifle, scope, base, rings, and necessary tools to install it. The NF base fit perfectly to the rifle. I checked it all around with a .001" feeler gauge and could not detect any real gap. I then used the "feeler gauge" method to install the scope based on Lowlight's video. It worked very well.

AbbiandR700010.jpg

My wife and I took the rifle and 40 rounds of BH 175gr up to our favorite shooting spot in the mountains of Colorado. After a quick bore sight, we were on paper at 100 yards and zeroing was very quick. The first 20 rounds were "break in" with the cleaning with the Dewy rod. My wife and I decided to move the scope up a little bit on the base (I had my FAT wrench with me). I then shot a round to verify zero, made a single adjustment and printed a 5 shot group at 100 yards. It measured .800" -.308" = <span style="font-weight: bold">.492"</span> with digital calipers. I was impressed.

A few noted deficiencies. The Hogue stock just sucks. The comb is too low (I am using low rings), the placement of the shooting hand on the trigger is inconsistent at best, and it flexes so much it's unbelievable. Also the X-Mark Pro trigger is shoddy at best. I adjusted it down to 2.5 pounds and it creeps all over the place, and the break is OK but not great. Finally the bolt is difficult to manipulate with the big NF scope in place. So my fixes are the Manners stock will replace the Hogue, I have a Timney trigger (factory set at 2 pounds) in the mail, and I will be sending off my bolt to GA Precision for a Badger knob shortly.

So my final configuration will be:

Rifle: R700 SPS Tactical in .308, Badger Bolt Knob, Timney Trigger
Scope: Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 the NP-R1 reticle
Base and Ring: NF 20MOA + NF Alloy Low Rings
Stock: Manners MCS-T2A with Mini-DBM, GAP Woodland Cammo
Ammunition: 500 rounds of 175gr Black Hills.
Bi-Pod: Harris BRM-S with Pod-Loc
Sling: TIS Quick Cuff

I will post more pictures when everything is in. Thanks for all of the help Sniper's Hide.