• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bolt gun lube

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
I tried search function no luck. Anyone use copper anti seize (stuff you use for a brake job)for lube in a bolt gun? Thanks

Re: bolt gun lube

I would also like too know if anyone uses it. I would think it would work, and I have plenty of the stuff.

The copper anti-seize is what Glock ships in its pistols. Seems to work fine for a while. I use TW25a in mine. Works well.

Cut

Like the copper. Haven't used it on the raceways, so I can't comment there, but the threads on the end of the barrel works.

Any high pressure synthetic grease will work, just keep the lugs greased. I was using the Red Shooters Choice but now I'm using the red Mobil 1 Synthetic High Pressure Grease. No odor and looks very much like the Shooters Choice I was using. $4.00 per tube, I bought a case of 10, set for life.

I use the copper. Keep a syringe of it on the bench and another in the cleaning kit.

I use a few drops of Mobil 1 oil on all my bolt guns, we get lots of wind born dirt out west, grease seems to collect it and turn it into grinding compound.

I use Tetra Grease. Its rated for -65 to 750 degrees and bonds with the metal (factory statement) but it seems to keep crud down and the bolt on my factory rifle is now smoother than before without any visible galling or wear issues.

I like WEAPONSHIELD. It is an incredible product. It stays on a bolt for a long, long time. Its great on pistols also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a few drops of Mobil 1 oil on all my bolt guns, we get lots of wind born dirt out west, grease seems to collect it and turn it into grinding compound. </div></div>

And oil runs off and you get no lubrication.

I use copper anti seize on my bolt lugs (even on the 50 BMG bolt) and trigger sears. Works really well and stays whare you put it. I use Tetra oil and grease for everything else. I also use some 100% synthetic motor oil for some parts as well....

I use boretech grease for the lugs and have been happy with that. No real preferance, it came in a gift bag off of a prize table and the same tube has lasted me about 10 years. I do like Gunbutter for my ARs and shotguns, a little goes a long ways and it seems to stick around after other oils have evaporated off.

I have been using copper anti seize but some fellows here recomended Super Lube ( auto Stores)and how slick it was, they were not kidding. Clear, stays put and is the slickest thing I have ever used. It makes the bolt opperation smooth, I have used molly, Brian Enos lube and a host of others but this seams to be the best.

Super lube is good stuff.

My wife works for MSC. and brings a lot of the samples home from the vendor. Both the grease and the oil is great. It is slick and good at high temps. Will make a bolt slide slicker than snot on a door knob.

Militec-1 grease, slicker than snot. Not sure about now, but they used to send some to you free to try out. Google them and see, very good stuff.

okie

Little more expensive but I sent my bolt off to get Black T'd and it is slicker than snot and stays dry. We have lots of dust as well. Just my .02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aggie Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little more expensive but I sent my bolt off to get Black T'd and it is slicker than snot and stays dry. We have lots of dust as well. Just my .02. </div></div>

where did you send it to? Thanks Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aggie Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little more expensive but I sent my bolt off to get Black T'd and it is slicker than snot and stays dry. We have lots of dust as well. Just my .02. </div></div>

where did you send it to? Thanks Gary </div></div>

There is only one location that I'm aware of for Birdsong finish and that's with Walter Birdsong.

I like copper anti-sieze on the back of the lugs and any threads. Once she is broke in good, I go to grease
I just picked up some Wilson oil. Seems pretty good so far.
For light oil, G96.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Militec-1 grease, slicker than snot. Not sure about now, but they used to send some to you free to try out. Google them and see, very good stuff.

okie </div></div>

Good stuff, and it will "bond" to the metal over time. Still about 2/3rds in the free cup I got a long time ago!

Black-T or any other color is only available from Walter Birdsong. Better be patient though. It was worth the wait but damn it took a long time. I think it was around 10 weeks for the return. Like I said it was worth it though.

I have a couple of tubes of Wilson gun grease. It seems to work. I apply it every now and again and have no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody got a link to purchase the Super Lube ? </div></div>
Ace Hardware and True Value should carry it.

that militec stuff is like corrosive or something it eats the paint off anything it comes in contact with. i prefer sex wax

I also use Wilson oil. I dont know if its the best but I ended up with a video after buying .45 way back and one part of the video is Bill Wilson showing off his gun oil. He rigged up a grinder and tension guage and put straight roller bearings in it. He demonstrated his oil against other popular brands and it was pretty impressive how little damage the bearing had using his oil.