• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt gun recommendations?

Toddcal13

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Hey guys,

I am new to bolt guns, typically I shoot with my m1a national match or scout squad. I am looking for advice on what to buy that is economical yet accurate in either a .308 or .22-250. Trying to keep my total expenditures around 1500. I have a night force on my national match that I will be moving over to this rifle as I find it more fun to shoot the NM with irons. Looking for something good out to 600 yds.

Thining about a rem my target tactical, savage 10fp, cz527, FN

Thanks for the help!

Re: Bolt gun recommendations?

Ill be the first one to say "SEARCH" still a noob to this site but this is asked every week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JEdmiston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had Good luck with Remington 700 in .308.</div></div> I would go a step further with your budget and go with a rem 700 Mil-spec 5r that leaves you enoguh left over for decent base, bipod and case

The 5r I pretty nice. What base would you recommend? I am thinking badger 20 moa

badger 20 MOA is top notch a NF 20 moa steel is great as well ( I have one on a SPS as well. My 5 R came with TPS 20 MOA and I see no reason to change it

You could look into the Savage 10FCP series of rifles which are pretty good out of the box for accuracy and there is plenty of information out there as well as parts if you want to start souping them up.
Look at the Savage 10FCP-McMillan or H&S or the FCP-K.

Either way Savage or Remington you really can't go wrong!

Good luck!

All the rifles you mentioned are nice, but the only one I can't comment on since I don't have experience with it...is CZ.

FN SPRs are really nice rifles, especially with chromed bore which makes maintenance easier, but over your budget. FN TSR should be within your price range.

Remington 700s will have the most aftermarket parts. Isn't the Remington target tactical over your stated budget? Remington website list price is $1972.

Savage is probably one of the best values, and probably the only one that meets your price criteria.

Savage 10 with mcm or hs stock and good base can be easily handled in your budget and will shoot exceptionally if you get some good hand loads in it. I might have a line on one of those in the next couple days. PM me if you are interested

The 5r is a great rifle as well. I haven't owned one, but I have gotten to play with a couple and drive one. I don't think you could go wrong with either one really.

I think I have a line on a target tactical for 1600, seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone have any word on them? Worth it?

Otherwise it's down to the savage or 5r.

Just some considerations. What about aftermarket upgrade parts? Which rifle/brand will allow for you to step up later on if you want to? I know some of the Savage stocks are flimsy but their rifles shoot great right out of the box.(You can firm up those flimsy stocks with some JB weld and a little creative work). I am a huge fan of the floating bolt head design.

I currently only have Remington rifles and they shoot great (usually have to work up a handload to make it shoot really great) so I'm partial to them. Most of the aftermarket stuff that is available is for Rem stuff but the Savage stuff is becoming more available nowdays.

All that being said, I'd recommend a Rem700 (5R) with an HS Precision stock as both of my HS palm swell stocks work very well for me.

savage 10 in mcmillan, with $1500 you will have $500 left over with which you could easily get a custom barrel for it if so desired or nice 20moa base, atlas bipod, tab sling. ready set DO IT!!!

5r would be hard to beat just my 2 cents.

For going out to 600 yds, go with the 308. The 22-250 will definitely get there no problem, but the 308 is going to buck the wind better and overall, the 308 is just more versatile. Lot it light for varmints down to 110 gr and up to 190+ gr for competitions and hunting. I don't think you can go wrong with a Remington or a Savage. If you want to continually tweak the gun and make it custom, go with the Remington. There are just more aftermarket options to work with and the Remington 700 actions are consistent in size. The same cannot be said for the Savage over the years. Out of the box, I would have to give the edge to Savage though. The ones that I have without doing anything to them have been better than the Remingtons. My Remingtons are shooters also, but they took a little bit of work to get there. Admittedly though, I have never owned a Remington that started life in stock that had an aluminum bedding block. For your needs and in your price range, I would probably at least try the 5R. Their reputation is outstanding.

I would decide buy or build. For "buy" rifles Savage and FN are pretty nice. My bud has a Savage and I cant joke and call them salvage anymore. Very nice build,accurate and reasonable priced.
I have a FN SPR A4 with the removable mag. Out of the box with an IOR scope dropped on it shoots 10 rounds in thumbnail groups with 168's. I know this because I forgot my 175 loads I wanted to try.
I love the McMillian stock on my gun and its built like a tank.

Build guns the sky is the limit and its easy to really drop some cash fast. Save $$$ for good mounts and optics.