• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Gun Sight in

hidta107

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
tucson
Just got my bolt gun back.Rem 700 Kreiger barrel and McMillian stock.Leuopold scope.Sighted in at 100yrds.Using UMC 150 gr.308 Win ammo.This was all the ammo I had at the time.My match load is 168 SMK,42.9 gr of 2520,Wlp primer,LC match brass.This is out of a 21" barrel
Question is when I use the match ammo will it have a completely different point of impact at 100,200,300,400 etc Thanks

Re: Bolt Gun Sight in

Quick answer.....yes. I don't know by how much. The greater the distance the more off it will probably be. Those rounds probably have different ballistics and therefore will have different trajectories. At 100, 200 yards it probably won't be off much, so if your going hunting I wouldn't worry too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris McLoughlin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you guys stop it and let the new guy learn!!!!!!</div></div>
Registered in 06 cant be that new.

Here's the question...with your rifle sighted in at 100yd with a single ammo (doesn't matter which), can you put rounds through the same hole every time? If not, why? Muzzle velocity, bullet weight, shape and aerodynamic properties, powder type and burn rate, are just a few of the factors that affect trajectory and point of impact. So if the exact same round has a slightly different point of impact every time you fire it, would you expect a round with a significantly different bullet weight and powder load to have the same trajectory?

Take a few minutes and plug some different values in for .308 loads using the "Trajectory-Simplified" calculator on the JBM Ballistics website (link below) and look at how the trajectory changes with even very small differences in the muzzle velocity or bullet weight/type. Specifically, just compare the two you listed (150 gr and SMK 168s) using the same muzzle velocity (again, doesn't matter what the number is, you can use 2600 fps as an estimate, for example). Hopefully that exercise will answer your question and be a good learning experience at the same time.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris McLoughlin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you guys stop it and let the new guy learn!!!!!!</div></div>
Registered in 06 cant be that new.</div></div>

Probably a busy guy.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris McLoughlin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you guys stop it and let the new guy learn!!!!!!</div></div>
Registered in 06 cant be that new.</div></div>

Probably a busy guy.........

Some replies were less eloquent than others, but the short answer is still yes, <span style="text-decoration: underline">anytime</span> you change brands of ammo, bullet weight, powder type, case manufacturer or primers you can expect to have a different POI, <span style="text-decoration: underline">especially</span> at extended ranges.

The amount of change will vary, of course, and that is the challenge. Ballistic programs are your friend, but you must have accurate data to enter into the program to get any sort of accuracy in the ballistic solutions returned.

Paul

Have you tried shooting 223 thru your 308 yet? That will give you some crazy groups!!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just like to know how those wolf primers are working out with a match load????? </div></div>

Pretty good in mine. I use them in my 6.5x47 and have very good results.

I have a 175gr SM going 2500.At 300yrd.it will shoot 1"groups that is the longest range I have shot it .Do you think it is to slow to shoot at 6 or 800yrds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried shooting 223 thru your 308 yet? That will give you some crazy groups!!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>
haha, jesus dont give him any ideas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a 175gr SM going 2500.At 300yrd.it will shoot 1"groups that is the longest range I have shot it .Do you think it is to slow to shoot at 6 or 800yrds? </div></div>

Not a chance. It will fall to the ground 578yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a 175gr SM going 2500.At 300yrd.it will shoot 1"groups that is the longest range I have shot it .Do you think it is to slow to shoot at 6 or 800yrds? </div></div>

Not a chance. It will fall to the ground 578yds. </div></div>

What if he is shooting from an elevated position? Wouldn't it fall to the ground slower if he's higher up? Come on, help a guy out......he could get at least 630 out of it.

Maybe I asked the question the wrong way..At what range would a 175SMK go sub-sonic with a muzzle vel. of 2500?