• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt handle reinforcement

glock63

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2008
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Ive seen pics of remington bolt handles reinforced with a couple machine screws to prevent the handle from breaking loose from the bolt body. Anyone recommend a good smith to do this to a couple handles of mine?

Re: Bolt handle reinforcement

If you are going to spend for the reinforcement job, you might compare it to the price of having the handles removed and welded back on.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have it welded
http://www.accu-tig.com/ </div></div>

I have had dan do one of mine, does great work and fast turn around time

just a simple thougth here but, if its better to weld a bolt handle on than to hard solder it, why doesn't remington weld them on to begin with, since it's easier and cheaper to weld than to solder?? could it be because welding can damage the heat treat in the steel and thus cause other problems??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman_Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a simple thougth here but, if its better to weld a bolt handle on than to hard solder it, why doesn't remington weld them on to begin with, since it's easier and cheaper to weld than to solder?? could it be because welding can damage the heat treat in the steel and thus cause other problems?? </div></div>

soldering would be cheaper/faster than welding.... ( think large ovens with multiple bolts all at once, or an inuction setup)
I believe the front of a remmy bolt (the lugs to about 3/8" back) is a separate piece that is brazed/soldered to the body of the bolt,
perhaps at the same time as the handle......
confused.gif

Not to mention that execept for the lug area, the only loads placed on the back of the bolt are that of the firing pin and the handle. Heat treat not necessary.

flyboy, if you anneal the rear of the bolt, where the cocking piece cams up on cocking, you will have problems with the cocking piece gauling when cocking. The proper heat treating, of the rear of the bolt, is just as important as the heat treating of the lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the front of a remmy bolt (the lugs to about 3/8" back) is a separate piece that is brazed/soldered to the body of the bolt,
confused.gif
</div></div>

Nope, it's all one piece in the lug area. The outside diameter of the lugs is turned then the lug profile is broached, all from the same chunk.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the front of a remmy bolt (the lugs to about 3/8" back) is a separate piece that is brazed/soldered to the body of the bolt,
confused.gif
</div></div>

Nope, it's all one piece in the lug area. The outside diameter of the lugs is turned then the lug profile is broached, all from the same chunk.

-matt </div></div>

Where did you glean your info from?
The entire bolt is one piece???????

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the front of a remmy bolt (the lugs to about 3/8" back) is a separate piece that is brazed/soldered to the body of the bolt,
confused.gif
</div></div>

-matt </div></div>

The remington bolt is 3 peices or was, the handle, body and bolt head.

can be sort of seen here around 6:15

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U11MtyJLfxQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U11MtyJLfxQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">flyboy, if you anneal the rear of the bolt, where the cocking piece cams up on cocking, you will have problems with the cocking piece gauling when cocking. The proper heat treating, of the rear of the bolt, is just as important as the heat treating of the lugs. </div></div>

I stand corrected. The point I was trying to make is the force from firing the rifle isn't placed on the rear of the bolt but the area around the lugs.