• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Handle

ESSAYONS

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I have a .308 PSS and need to convert the bolt handle to a larger handle from the stock one from Remington. Anyone know of a company that does this without big $ and a six month wait? Thanks.

Re: Bolt Handle

Are you looking for the knob itself or the whole arm that attaches to the bolt ?

The arm and ball at the end of the arm are all one peice that attaches to the bolt- so the arm and knob both.

look in the last forum on this board for the special from AZprecision. he will get you going. hardest part is gonna be choosing from the myriad of knob options he has available. it you dont like them, he can do custon i think.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1795278#Post1795278

here are the options

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...315#Post1783315

also click on AZPrecision's name, select view posts and you will see his work.

short action customs does this as well as a few others i believe. have fun

Keith at AZPrecision is the man! Quick turn around time too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merc308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith at AZPrecision is the man! Quick turn around time too. </div></div>

This, just got one back from Keith and it looks great. Very resonable prices also.

I don't know why remington puts those small knobs on the bolt- I mean when you cycling rounds through the chamber the big know is much more easier to maneuver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eng07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a .308 PSS and need to convert the bolt handle to a larger handle from the stock one from Remington. Anyone know of a company that does this without big $ and a six month wait? Thanks. </div></div>
Contact <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">monteboy84</span></span> here on the Hide' or over at Sniper Central. <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span> (Matt) uses the best tactical bolt knob setup around for the Remington 700, which happens to be the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion. Check-out <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Some bolt knob install pictures</span></span> to see some great photos of the steps required to correctly and professionally install a Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion, which is NOT a DYI install.

So, what makes the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion the best? Well, for one thing it is the best thought-out, most practical unit out there. When properly installed, the superior design provides proper clearance and more efficient bolt operation. Lots of folks on this forum will say <span style="font-style: italic">"WTF" - its' only a goddamn bolt knob get out and shoot!"</span> out of spite and ignorance. I ask that you think about why people install "tactical" bolt knobs in the first place (besides the "tacticool" look).

The #1 reason <span style="font-weight: bold">should be to <span style="font-style: italic">increase the ease of bolt operation</span></span>, period. Easier, more fluid bolt operation helps the shooter maintain his or her focus on the target - where it should be.

Easy, fluid bolt operation is enhanced by proper clearance. Proper clearance between the bolt knob and scope ocular means less chance of the shooter's fingers banging into the scope's ocular, slowing bolt operation. This can be a problem for shooters' with large hands/fingers and for shooters wearing gloves.

Good clearance between the bolt knob and stock is also desirable because it means more room between the shooter's forefinger and the bolt knob. Inadequate clearance may cause the shooter's forefinger to press upward on the bolt knob, which may in turn slightly un-seat the lugs. This in turn may lead to a very slight misalignment of the cartridge. Again, this can be a problem for shooters' with large hands/fingers and for shooters wearing gloves.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> The very slight cartridge misalignment mentioned above may or may not matter in a 1/2 MOA gun, but when striving for and delivering 1/4 MOA or better accuracy even the seemingly most minute detail must be considered and accounted for, which is what Tac Ops does.

<span style="font-style: italic">Proper clearance between the bolt knob and the scope ocular is important no matter what.</span>

When properly installed as shown in <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">monteboy84</span></span>'s "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Some bolt knob install pictures</span></span>" thread the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion provides more clearance than any other bolt knob conversion I have seen for a M700 (and probably for a host of others as well). With the exception of the Tac Ops mod, I can't think of any "tactical" bolt knob installations that do not shorten the OAL length of the bolt handle, reducing clearance - and thus defeating the purpose of the bolt knob installation.

For comparison below are a few photos' of a Tac Ops Bolt Knob installed on a RH SA M700 bolt and a competitor's bolt knob installed on a LH SA M700 bolt. Keep-in-mind that the competitor's bolt handle isn't even as short as most others, which are sometimes so short that the shooter can barely grasp the knob without fingers hitting the ocular bell.

I should point-out that, if for some strange reason someone actually wanted a shorter bolt handle this is easily accomplished by cutting the shank shorter before welding the threaded insert to the bolt handle. That said, compare the <span style="font-weight: bold">length of the handle and the diameter of the threaded shank</span> of the Tac Ops bolt to the length of the handle and the diameter of the threaded shank of the competitor's bolt:

Shown below for comparison are a few photos' of a Tac Ops Bolt Knob installed on a RH SA M700 bolt and a competitor's bolt knob installed on a LH SA M700 bolt. Keep-in-mind that the competitor's bolt handle isn't even as short as most others, which are sometimes so short that the shooter can barely grasp the knob without fingers hitting the ocular bell.

And again, if for some strange reason someone actually wanted a shorter bolt handle this is easily accomplished by cutting the shank shorter before welding the threaded insert to the bolt handle. That said, compare the <span style="font-weight: bold">length of the handle and the diameter of the threaded shank</span> of the Tac Ops bolt to the length of the handle and the diameter of the threaded shank of the competitor's bolt:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Ops bolt handle:</span>
TacOpsBoltHandle8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's bolt handle:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandle18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's Bolt (on left) and Tac Ops Bolt (on right):</span>
TacOpsCompetitorsBolts8x6.jpg

Now on the rifles. Getting the angle the same for both guns was tricky, so it may be difficult to see the actual clearance difference in in the photos. However, in person the clearance delta is substantial.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Look at the clearance between the bolt knob's "top" and the stock on this Tac Ops Bolt:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobClearance26x8-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Compared to the clearance between the bolt knob's "top" and the stock on the competitor's bolt:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandlleClearance6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, look at the distance between the bolt knob's "bottom corner" and the grip on the Tac Ops rifle:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobCloseup6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Compared to the distance between the bolt knob's "bottom corner" and the grip on the competitor's rifle:</span>
CompetitorsBoltKnobClearance6x8.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good clearance between the bolt knob and stock is also desirable because it means more room between the shooter's forefinger and the bolt knob. <span style="color: #FF0000">Inadequate clearance may cause the shooter's forefinger to press upward on the bolt knob, which may in turn slightly un-seat the lugs. This in turn may lead to a very slight misalignment of the cartridge.</span> Again, this can be a problem for shooters' with large hands/fingers and for shooters wearing gloves.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> The very slight cartridge misalignment mentioned above may or may not matter in a 1/2 MOA gun, but when striving for and delivering 1/4 MOA or better accuracy even the seemingly most minute detail must be considered and accounted for, which is what Tac Ops does.
</div></div>

sorry, but i am not buying that. i don't see how slightly rotating the bolt will cause any cartridge misalignment if the machine work is solid, like would be on a 1/4 moa gun. now if you said that a trigger finger hitting the bolt knob can cause trigger pull issues, i'd buy that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aries64 said:
Good clearance between the bolt knob and stock is also desirable because it means more room between the shooter's forefinger and the bolt knob. <span style="color: #FF0000">Inadequate clearance may cause the shooter's forefinger to press upward on the bolt knob, which may in turn slightly un-seat the lugs. This in turn may lead to a very slight misalignment of the cartridge.</span> Again, this can be a problem for shooters' with large hands/fingers and for shooters wearing gloves.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, but i am not buying that. i don't see how slightly rotating the bolt will cause any cartridge misalignment if the machine work is solid, like would be on a 1/4 moa gun. now if you said that a trigger finger hitting the bolt knob can cause trigger pull issues, i'd buy that.</div></div>
You don't have to "buy" anything. You'll think, believe, and do what is convenient, until through your own experience or the experience and knowledge of others you open your mind to new information.

Now, I never said that slightly rotating the bolt would <span style="font-style: italic">definitely</span> cause cartridge misalignment - what I said was <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Inadequate clearance may cause the shooter's forefinger to press upward on the bolt knob, which may in turn slightly un-seat the lugs. This in turn may lead to a very slight misalignment of the cartridge"</span></span>. There are other related factors involved, and you are just looking at a one detail of a larger picture.

Your assumption that <span style="font-style: italic">"solid machine work", "as on a 1/4 moa gun"</span> excludes the possibility of cartridge misalignment is incorrect. Again, there are other related factors involved, and you are just looking at a one detail of a larger picture.

If it pleases you to think that bolt rotation <span style="font-style: italic">cannot</span> unseat the lugs <span style="font-style: italic">"if the machine work is solid, like on a 1/4 moa gun"</span>, good for you. But to be fair, <span style="font-style: italic">if present</span>, very slight cartridge misalignment may or may not matter in a 1/2 MOA gun, as cummulative (stacked) machining errors may have more effect on accuracy than very slight cartridge misalignment.

For the majority of guns it probably doesn't matter. However, on Tac Ops guns, where <span style="font-weight: bold">each and every rifle must shoot .25 MOA or better before it leaves the shop</span> nothing is left to chance.

Take the time to read through and fully understand "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08)</span></span>" in it's entirety. Some machining and procedural work is discussed, and I'm sure you'll come away enlightened about many aspects of Tac Ops rifles - how and when they perform certain operations, why they use a certain procedure, and how they consistently manufacture guns that shoot .25 MOA and under using factory Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition.

Keith

Sent 2 bolts to Keith at AZ Precision this morning. I hope he's fast, I cant go without shooting those rifles very long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which happens to be the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion.........The #1 reason should be to increase the ease of bolt operation, period.</div></div>

+1. Ghetto-rigged/installed mine and even though it can in no way shape or form compare to the install shown here, its night and day as far as bolt manipulation goes. Definitely satisfies Reason #1.

AZ Precision is hard to beat. Expect to have your bolt back in a week or so.

Yup, I sent Keith (AZ Precision) 2 bolts on a Mon., he got them on Wed. I had them back the next Thurs. Clean work also!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aries64 said:

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, but i am not buying that. i don't see how slightly rotating the bolt will cause any cartridge misalignment if the machine work is solid, like would be on a 1/4 moa gun. now if you said that a trigger finger hitting the bolt knob can cause trigger pull issues, i'd buy that.</div></div>
You don't have to "buy" anything. You'll think, believe, and do what is convenient, until through your own experience or the experience and knowledge of others you open your mind to new information.

Now, I never said that slightly rotating the bolt would <span style="font-style: italic">definitely</span> cause cartridge misalignment - what I said was <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Inadequate clearance may cause the shooter's forefinger to press upward on the bolt knob, which may in turn slightly un-seat the lugs. This in turn may lead to a very slight misalignment of the cartridge"</span></span>. There are other related factors involved, and you are just looking at a one detail of a larger picture.

Your assumption that <span style="font-style: italic">"solid machine work", "as on a 1/4 moa gun"</span> excludes the possibility of cartridge misalignment is incorrect. Again, there are other related factors involved, and you are just looking at a one detail of a larger picture.

If it pleases you to think that bolt rotation <span style="font-style: italic">cannot</span> unseat the lugs <span style="font-style: italic">"if the machine work is solid, like on a 1/4 moa gun"</span>, good for you. But to be fair, <span style="font-style: italic">if present</span>, very slight cartridge misalignment may or may not matter in a 1/2 MOA gun, as cummulative (stacked) machining errors may have more effect on accuracy than very slight cartridge misalignment.

For the majority of guns it probably doesn't matter. However, on Tac Ops guns, where <span style="font-weight: bold">each and every rifle must shoot .25 MOA or better before it leaves the shop</span> nothing is left to chance.

Take the time to read through and fully understand "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08)</span></span>" in it's entirety. Some machining and procedural work is discussed, and I'm sure you'll come away enlightened about many aspects of Tac Ops rifles - how and when they perform certain operations, why they use a certain procedure, and how they consistently manufacture guns that shoot .25 MOA and under using factory Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition.

Keith </div></div>

i have read that article several times and i must have missed where he mentioned that a trigger finger hitting a bolt knob could cause cartridge misalignment. i am not sure who you are but maybe you can answer this. what is mike doing to keep the sear from pushing up on the bolt? how much bolt body to receiver raceway clearance does he allow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aries64 said:

</div></div>

Keith </div></div>

i have read that article several times and i must have missed where he mentioned that a trigger finger hitting a bolt knob could cause cartridge misalignment. i am not sure who you are but maybe you can answer this. what is mike doing to keep the sear from pushing up on the bolt? how much bolt body to receiver raceway clearance does he allow? </div></div>
Nope, you didn't miss it in that write-up, but it is floating around somewhere on the web. I have a better idea though - why don't you call Mike at Tac Ops so he can answer your questions. Just call him up and tell him who you are, and as long as the answer(s) to your question(s) don't involve divulging procedures and/or techniques he considers intellectual property or otherwise proprietary I'm sure he'll be glad to explain things.

Keith

WOW, I didn't know bolt handles were so complicated.