• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt is stiffer after installing new trigger.

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
My rifle is still pretty new, and has always had something of a stiff bolt, but I just attributed it to the lack of use. So I just installed a new Timney 510 trigger and now the bolt is even harder to open and close. Is there something that can be adjusted to change this? What is it about the new trigger that changed the feel?

Re: Bolt is stiffer after installing new trigger.

I thought the same thing when I put my Timney in. I took everything back apart and cleaned and lubed it back up and reassembled. It seems a little better now, but it is still a little harder than it was when it was stock. I've been cycling it while watching TV and it seems to be getting better. My guess is all the moving parts have to wear in.

I think I might send Timney an email to see what they have to say about it.

I did that and they offered to replace the trigger, but that was about as far as I took it. Mine is getting better the more I work it.

may check the front bolt (on rem 700) that attaches the stock to the action as it can bind the lug on the bolt as it closes if to long. I just experienced that on an expensive custom rifle that was not checked before leaving the shop.
anyway, just something to check.

take it to a good gunsmith and have him check the timing between trigger and bolt. I've had problems with Remington "clones."