• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt knob install

Big Dog Steel

Premium AR500 Targets
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2008
Lima, OH
www.bigdogsteel.com
I had a local machinist do a bolt knob install for me tonight. He did an awesome job. I think I have him convinced to start offering this as a service to everyone else. We are talking about producing our own parts and knobs. They have several 3d cnc machines as well as cnc lathes, bridgeports, etc. Enough toys to pump out what ever bolt knob we could come up with. What do you guys think?

boltknob.jpg

Re: Bolt knob install

That is a super clean transition!! Very nice work indeed...

How much are you thinking about charging?? Would any Savage work be in the mix somewhere??

DK

DK/z71rat - I think it would be in the neighborhood of $75 for the kit, knob and install. We are going to take a look at making some custom knobs. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Skull bolt handle anyone? I know its been discussed before, but haven't heard of any progress...

There was/is? a guy selling skull parts for 10/22 rifles. They fit in the mag drop button area. I'm not sure if they were threaded in or not.

I always wanted one done in the shape of a Jack Daniels bottle even if I don't drink that anymore. Seems like it would be easy. Just get the shape and machine flat the sides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rukus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skull bolt handle anyone? I know its been discussed before, but haven't heard of any progress... </div></div>

I would be all over that!!

I have always had one particular idea for a custom bolt knob, but I haven't found anyone that does custom engraving without charging a million bucks for the setup...

Of course, I own a Savage with the rounded top bolt handle. So would I need to send you mine?? Or do you do like most people and purchase the stainless steel handles and machine those??

I would be happy with the handle in the shape of the Badger, or even my own custom design. I have what amounts to the Pheonix Knob, but with only 2 rings... not 3, and a solid bottom to do the engraving... not hollowed out. Does that make sense??

DK

Looks good. I really like the clean transition from knob to bolt. What kind of shroud is that over the firing pin?

There was a guy on the Hide a while back that was doing FN SPR/Win bolt knobs that way. I have avoided doing an extended knob until I found someone who could do the transition like that. Let me know if you guys start doing more.

Well, the Machinist/Engineer has agreed to order some aircraft grade aluminum and spin up a few knobs. I'll post progress pics as we go. Knobs should be finished up in a week or two. If you want the transition like mine your existing/current knob has to be round. Not oval like most of the R700's. We can still do the R700 but the transition won't be as smooth as mine because of the knob shape.

Ok, things are moving along. We have a list of standard knobs available as well as 3 KG colors to choose from. You can choose from any of the knobs shown below. Just specify the number you want. Then pick you color. We have Matte Black, OD Green & Flat Dark Earth. Knobs are 1.5 x 1".

knob2.jpg

Prices are $75 + usps flat rate priority mail. It should cost about $5 dollars to ship. Thanks!

I'm looking at a Browning X-Bolt for a hunting rifle. Can you install one of your knobs on their funky bolt? It's the only think I don't like about the gun.

Well, just an update...We have quite a few knobs spun up and ready for installation. Just wanted to post up a picture of an install on a Winchester we did for another member.

m70r2.jpg

OSU did the bolt handle on my Win/FN. My criteria was to have a seamless transition from the handle to the extended knob and a manageable size (smaller than most of the knobs on the market). As you can see in the picture the knob and arm transition seamlessly and the knobs is slightly less than 1" OD. The factory knob was .750" OD.

The Job took less than two weeks and OSU communicated without issue. The bolt came back threaded with the knob loose so that I could decide how I wanted to thread fix with adhesive. I used blue loctite.

Obviously there are many bolt knobs on the market, just not many fitting my criteria.

5bzozp.jpg

can i get one with a torque wrench? lol, j/k i have a savage so its easier for me to just swap in an after market knob. these look good though

Worked with Ryan and Dennis to have a bolt knob installed on my FN PBR XP, turned out better than expected and work was completed rather quickly as well. (pics loaded later)

You still doing this?