• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Knob Threading

archangel485

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
WY
I know there are lots of great smiths who could handle this for a relatively small fee, but I like to tinker once in a while. I used an old manual millrite mill, then clamped the bolt in the mill vice using v-blocks and did my best using levels to get the bolt handle "plumb" (actually wanted the back side of the handle to be plumb, not the front). Then I used an end mill to cut the knob off down to a 5/16" square to save some boring time. Next I used a boring head and turned the cutter backwards taking off about 10 thousandths per pass until I had a nice cylinder of 5/16" diameter. Once I had all the corners rounded off I used a die to cut the 5/16-24 threads and finally used a small amount of heat and dipped in motor oil to refinish it black. I bought the knob itself from a local smith who builds them on his CNC machine.

This is the second one I did, the first one didn't turn out quite as well, imagine that. :) But interestingly I discovered that R700 bolt handles are not hardened steel, the TC venture that I did first, was hardened steel, so I actually had to temper the steel first in order to machine it. If you are doing any bolt handles you might think about what type of steel you have to start with. If you're not sure, running a file across it would tell you pretty quick.

I'm very happy with how this turned out, especially considering I did it myself.

IMG_20200621_214105_521.jpg
IMG_20200621_214147_985.jpg
IMG_20200621_214935_126.jpg

I have a 9x19 manual lathe and I have been considering doing something similar by putting a v block in place of my tool post o hold the bolt and chucking up an annular cutter to cut the Remington knob down to size. Pretty cool!

I have a 9x19 manual lathe and I have been considering doing something similar by putting a v block in place of my tool post o hold the bolt and chucking up an annular cutter to cut the Remington knob down to size. Pretty cool!
Yeah unfortunately you can't take the handle off so it makes spinning the whole bolt a bit precarious but I do believe that's how many smiths are doing it with a PTG or similar jig to hold it. I think the jig is costly so you'd either have to do a bunch of knobs to justify it or just chalk it up to "educational expense" haha. I hadn't considered flipping it around though, and putting the bolt knob in the tool post side and the cutter on the spinning side. I do think an annular cutter would be the way to go, whether using a mill or a lathe, as it would be much faster. I used a boring head because it's what I had.

Reactions: jphil108
Looks good! What a surprise that something form Remington isn’t the best quality...