• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Knobs

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
How are you guys machining the bolt, mainly the threads and how do you cut the knob off. Do you have any pictures of your setup. I would like to try this myself the easiest way I could think of was interpolate the knob in the mill and cut the threads with a die. Then i saw a picture of your guy's threads and I pretty sure they came off a lathe with a single point.

Re: Bolt Knobs

I cut the factory knob off with a hack saw or dremil, mill the cutt square, drill a piolet hole for a TacOps Bolt Knob Threaded Fixture and tig weld/blend it. KG Gun Kote the handle and send it out the door.

There are several ways to do this. Some will use a fixture in a lathe to turn down the knob and single point cut the threads. Some will use an annular cutter and shaft the knob then thread with a die. Some will use the Tac-Ops set up like William said but this will limit you to the Tac-Ops bolt knob.

Others like AZ Precision, myself, and a few others have our own bolt knobs and method of attachments.

I do them on a lathe. I like this method because I can turn the old knob down, cut the threads to specs, and while everything is dialed in I drill out the center of the bolt handle. I thread it and fill it with Loc-tite 271 and insert a hardened steel stud and face it off. I use to do them just like Badger or GAP and just leave the bolt, but after talking to HateCA and others, there is much to be desired just by leaving it that way. So then I started drilling, tapping and inserting that stud to give it more strength. Have not had any problems yet.

You could argue its 6 1/2 one way, half a dozen the other.

It's hard to shear off a hardened grade 8 screw/bolt that’s threaded into the handle.

I've also made my own fixtures that accept the Badger/KMW as well.

For my Tac Ops knob, I used a dremel to grind down the bolt knob to the right diameter, then hand threaded it with a 5/16X18 die, and used red loc-tite on the threads before screwing the knob on. Total time was about 12 hours of work, but I feel much more confident in the strength of the knob this way.

P.S. Next time, I'll use a bench grinder for the bulk of the knob grinding.

8551645-11.jpg

I put knobs on socket shoulder screws, so that the bolt knob will turn freely in the hand, like the handle on a lathe wheel.

If you dont want to cut off your knob and you have a mill you can get whats called a "reverse spot facer" it looks like a mill bit but has a .313 hole in the center so once you have your bolt in the vise locate your data points, then center up your bolt, get some coolant going, and come straight down. Makes a perfect .313 boss, then thread 5/16 24NF, thread on and good to go.

If its for a Remington use Badger Ordnance install guide for a reference. http://www.badgerordnance.com/folders/downloads/3/1005-306-31%20Tactical%20615B3.pdf

After reading a few threads, I decided to do my own yesterday. I picked up a custom knob made by a local smith for $35. Once I found the right die (5/16x24) I was ready to go. I first used a hacksaw to square off the original knob. I ground it round to size with a file. I got it threaded. I screwed the new knob on to protect the threads while I cleaned and blended with a small file.

15mfg20.jpg
It awaits coating which will get done sometime in the next couple weeks.

Heres one I kept a photo of, its not my own fixture but mine is like this.
bolt20turning20fixture20B20big.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres one I kept a photo of, its not my own fixture but mine is like this.
bolt20turning20fixture20B20big.jpg
</div></div>

Where did you get this fixture? Did you make your own?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut the factory knob off with a hack saw or dremil, mill the cutt square, drill a piolet hole for a TacOps Bolt Knob Threaded Fixture and tig weld/blend it. KG Gun Kote the handle and send it out the door. </div></div>

Same.

-matt