• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt lift and slide problem

Kevin 53

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
mississippi
I purchased a new savage 12 lrp 6.5 creedmoor I shot 12 factory hornady ammo and they all stuck. Bolt lift is very hard and to slide the bolt back is hard. I sent the rifle back to savage to have them to check it out and I received it took it to the range and I still have a bolt lift and sliding bolt back problem. I shot about 12-15 arounds and about half still was a little sticky and one round didn't shoot. I took that around out and no marks on primer. Put the around back in and it shot then. I am not a gunsmith. Where do I go from here to get my problem fixed?

Thanks Kevin

Re: Bolt lift and slide problem

Sounds like your rifle will probably have to go back to the factory again to get looked at. They should fix whatever is wrong with it since you haven't modified their rifle in any way.

That being said, there are a few other things you may want to consider first since the factory has already supposedly checked out the rifle and deemed it in proper working order.

Contact Hornady and see if they have had any reported issues with the lot of ammo you are using. If you have ammo from a different lot try shooting it and see if the results are the same. This will gives you a good idea whether the problem is the rifle or the ammo.

How do you lube your rifle? It isn't a semi-auto but it is still a machine with moving parts. You should be lubing at least the back of your bolt lugs, the grooves your lugs slide in, and the notches on your firing pin that mate to the trigger.

Lastly, pull your bolt out and see if there are any scratches on it. Sometimes people mess up which screws go where when mounting scopes or reassembling rifles. If your bolt is scratched then the resistance you are experiencing could be the force required to scrape past a screw.

Tell us a bit more about the issue. Does the bolt operate smoothly when the rifle is unloaded? Will it operate smoothly with ammo being cycled through but not being fired? Does the problem only present after actually firing a round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like your rifle will probably have to go back to the factory again to get looked at. They should fix whatever is wrong with it since you haven't modified their rifle in any way.

That being said, there are a few other things you may want to consider first since the factory has already supposedly checked out the rifle and deemed it in proper working order.

Contact Hornady and see if they have had any reported issues with the lot of ammo you are using. If you have ammo from a different lot try shooting it and see if the results are the same. This will gives you a good idea whether the problem is the rifle or the ammo.

How do you lube your rifle? It isn't a semi-auto but it is still a machine with moving parts. You should be lubing at least the back of your bolt lugs, the grooves your lugs slide in, and the notches on your firing pin that mate to the trigger.

Lastly, pull your bolt out and see if there are any scratches on it. Sometimes people mess up which screws go where when mounting scopes or reassembling rifles. If your bolt is scratched then the resistance you are experiencing could be the force required to scrape past a screw.

Tell us a bit more about the issue. Does the bolt operate smoothly when the rifle is unloaded? Will it operate smoothly with ammo being cycled through but not being fired? Does the problem only present after actually firing a round? </div></div> the bolt does operate smoothly when the rifle is unloaded. It does operate smoothly with ammo being cycled through but not fired. It only shows up after firing. I can take the fired brass and cycle it through and the problem will show up. I can take new empty brass and cycle it and it does fine no sticking at all.

You might have gunk in your bolt that makes it sticky once fired, my bolt was a little sticky after firing as well, I took it apart, took out the firing pin assembly and found a lot of black gunk on it, simply wiped it down, put a light coat of oil on the springs (try not to get any oil on the pin, in very cold conditions the oil will freeze on the pin and you won't be able to fire the weapon, doesn't seem to affect the rest of the firing pin assembly though). After I took the firing pin assembly out and cleaned it, my bolt was a lot smoother, I'm almost certain the problem is with the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might have gunk in your bolt that makes it sticky once fired, my bolt was a little sticky after firing as well, I took it apart, took out the firing pin assembly and found a lot of black gunk on it, simply wiped it down, put a light coat of oil on the springs (try not to get any oil on the pin, in very cold conditions the oil will freeze on the pin and you won't be able to fire the weapon, doesn't seem to affect the rest of the firing pin assembly though). After I took the firing pin assembly out and cleaned it, my bolt was a lot smoother, I'm almost certain the problem is with the bolt. </div></div>This is a new gun only about 24 rounds fired you think there's gunk in the new bolt? I will give that a try. I would like to see if I can fix it without sending it back again. I hope it's not the rifle after sending it in once.

If your bolt were packed with grease I could see that contributing to the round that did not fire and had no firing pin indentation.

I bought my savage 16 new last august and it had the black gunk in it, so there could be a good chance that yours is the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARShuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you notice any abnormal marks on the fired brass? Like from possibly a scratch, etc. in the chamber </div></div> no marks on the fired brass. I'm going to try cleaning the bolt I hope that's it. I'm a big kid my new toy is not working and I'm not happy.

Ok, I'm just gonna toss it out there, but Hornady ammunition lately has been known to be 'hot' especially the superformance factory stuff. so hot some of it is popping primers out. Are you shooting superformance stuff?

Is there a possibility you can try a different batch of ammo from another maker like some FGMM?? also, can you try YOUR batch of Hornady in another rifle to see if the results are repeatable?

If you sent the rifle to Savage and they found nothing wrong, and given its a new stick and you havent been beating on it, I am thinking the weak link here might be the ammo, not your rifle....

-Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paulus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'm just gonna toss it out there, but Hornady ammunition lately has been known to be 'hot' especially the superformance factory stuff. so hot some of it is popping primers out. Are you shooting superformance stuff?

Is there a possibility you can try a different batch of ammo from another maker like some FGMM?? also, can you try YOUR batch of Hornady in another rifle to see if the results are repeatable?

If you sent the rifle to Savage and they found nothing wrong, and given its a new stick and you havent been beating on it, I am thinking the weak link here might be the ammo, not your rifle....

-Paulus </div></div>Yes I am shooting superforamce ammo two boxes of it. That is all I have tried to shoot. O man I hope this is it. If it is the ammo could it have hurt the rifle? Both boxes have the same lot number. Do I contact hornady if it is the ammo?

Nah, I doubt the rifle is hurt. Best advice: get a box of FGMM, or heck, even just FMJ or hunting ammo and see how the rifle fires and ejects. See if the problem persists.

Also, do a search on here, on the hide. I know for a fact I've read atleast two or three threads devoted to issues with superhot loads with the superformance. I don't have links offhand, but garuntee you'll find em with a search.

I hope its just the ammo too, and i suspect it is, but shoot something else to see. IF the other rounds shoot fine, and no issues with sticky bolt and hard extraction, Dont shoot any more of the Hornady. As a previous poster said, call Hornady. they definitely need to know about this.

Good luck, and let us know how this turns out. No sense worrying, its either the rifle or the ammo. If ammo, its an easy fix. If its the rifle, Savage will make it right. I know its new, and it would tick me off too, but honest, either way which ever company will take care of ya.

But, let us know how it turns out.

-Paulus

Paulus your the man I'm going out tomorrow to the range and give it a try with other ammo. I hope this works. I will let y'all know tomorrow as soon as i see how it shoots

Thanks Kevin

Paulus your rite about a lot of info on superformance to hot in searching here on the hide. I found a lot of superforamce ammo cheap. One good thing I didn't buy but two boxes. Going to the range tomorrow I will let y'all know what happens.

Thanks Kevin

How'd she shoot? hopefully it was just the ammo. Let us know...

Paulus

I just came back from the range. Paulus you are rite it's the ammo. 120gr and 140gr match hornady ammo fired and ejected perfect. I noticed they have a lot less recoil than the 129gr superforamce that had hard bolt lift and hard bolt slide. Paulus you the man. Thank you and to all that responded I am learning from all.

Thanks Kevin

Just glad it worked out ok with a cheap easy fix, and everyone is safe. And we are all here to learn. Glad i could be of assistance. Happy shooting, and enjoy the new rifle.

Paulus

Up date: I called hornady about what we found with the superforamce ammo and they are sending a shipping label for me to send the ammo back to them. They were sorry for the trouble and they are sending me twice the ammo I bought in the 140 gr amax match grade. My gun shot this round with no problems. We all make mistakes but if you make it rite its not a problem. Thanks hornady for making it rite. Thanks guys for helping me to find the problem.

Thanks Kevin