• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Lugs Galling... Effects on accuracy

Mr. F

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2011
Its just something ive wondered for awhile. How bad does the galling of bolt lugs have to get to adversely exert an effect on the accuracy or safety of a bolt gun?

Im talking short actions, 700 styles... Thanks!

Mostly affects how hard the bolt lifts. It's mostly a surface interaction thing; I don't think it would get to the point that it would affect safety. It might shorten the head space in an extreme case. I have doubts it really affects accuracy perceptibly.

I would think that over time, as the lugs wear, that headspace would increase... but as always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

I would think that over time, as the lugs wear, that headspace would increase... but as always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

It would tighten it just before it loosened it.

No accuracy effects. My best 6ppc has a galled lug. I love BAT actions but their untreated bolts are very prone to galling. i can feel it when i close the bolt, and i have lapped a little of the galling out. This rifle of mine still shoots teen aggs like it always has. Lee

Tell me you are using quality bolt grease on your BAT lugs. Mil Comm TW25B ideally. Lugs should always be greased regardless of the action, but especially on a BAT. They are machined so tight. Which is why they are the smoothest actions on the planet. I shoot my BATs suppressed, and If I forget to lube those lugs I can tell instantly. If I galled the lugs on any of my BATs I would puke.

If you would see my shop or any of my rifles you wouldn't even question my use of good bolt grease. I keep my stuff tip tops always!!! Bolt grease doesn't keep dirt or pieces of carbon or whatever the he'll got in there from getting on your lugs. I felt it, when the lug called. I was blowing brass out and my cases where tight. Something made its way between the lugs and that was it. Bats are my favorite, but I won't own another in threaded action. Melonite is a bit ugly I think but it is a must.