• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Manipulation/ Cheekweld Issues with Long Action rifles

7mmShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2013
New York
Hey guys, looking for help with an issue I have been having with my 7mm Mag Savage (or other LA bolt guns). Whenever I run the bolt quick/fast while staying on the gun, The back of the bolt (Bolt Assembly Screw in this case) smacks me in the nose. Sometimes I will actually have an imprint of the hex on my nose after hitting it a couple times while shooting. I was thinking maybe an adjustable cheekpiece and higher rings/base would be a possible solution, but am very curious as to what you all think! Thansk for any replies/ideas guys!

7SHTR

I had similar situation recently with my new rig. When I first mounted scope I found scope was too far forward so bolt would touch me when fully opened. I have since moved scope just a little closer to me which forced me to move my head just a little back from bolt. Ultimately, I opened bolt all the way and then secured scope so that bolt would just miss me. This also allows another dimension/variable to keep same cheek position. I do have an adjustable length of pull though I removed all spacers with exception of butt.

Not sure if this makes sense or even helps any.

Just my two cents...

Thanks for the reply Coyote, but the LOP is already kinda long. Factory l.o.p plus whatever the Slip-on Limbsaver pad adds. I think I would need like another half inch to clear the bolt, but that may be too much to cope with the other aspects. Also, I'm a natural lefty shooting a right handed rifle, so I dont know if that comes into play at all?

7SHTR

Last edited:
Ah, thanks Tristian. Yes that actually helps a bit. I would have to get an extened one piece base, but that may be an idea to try when i get the chance! You say you removed the l.o.p spacers when you moved the scope, was the LOP still usable considering the retracted head positioning? On a side note, I see you are a fellow NYer, whereabouts are you located? Awesome rigs by the way, I love the AX chassis (but still can't seem to find where to get the custom AX thumbhole variant)

7SHTR

Last edited:
An Eliseo tube gun chassis will fix your problem permanently without making compromises in length of pull or scope eye relief.

An Eliseo tube gun chassis will fix your problem permanently without making compromises in length of pull or scope eye relief.

Yes, it certainly would Proneshooter. The thing is, Gary Eliseo is not making a chassis for the regualr savage actions( just the target action) as far as I know. The chassis does not come in Left handed either AFAIK. Thanks for the idea though!

7SHTR

Ah, thanks Tristian. Yes that actually helps a bit. I would have to get an extened one piece base, but that may be an idea to try when i get the chance! You say you removed the l.o.p spacers when you moved the scope, was the LOP still usable considering the retracted head positioning?

7SHTR

When I received my second rig I removed ALL spacers and started from there. I already knew I wanted to be up close and personal with rig as I wanted to swallow her into my chest - if that makes any sense. This was why I ran into issue with bolt hitting my nose - I moved Spuhr Mount forward.

Not sure if following will make any sense.
If you take a close look at my rigs below, both scopes are pushed forward with respect to mounting on Spuhr and not evenly spaced. I did this on purpose in case I needed to move scope closer to me I could without having to remove and remount Spuhr.

All because:
One of the seasoned veterans at my local range was watching me shoot last September and told me my Length Of Pull on my .223 (green rig below - Original LOP is not shown) had a LOP too long and he felt if I shortened it my groups would be tighter, find better accuracy and find with smoother follow ups. [Statement intended for me and my situation and not everyone.] Well, I took his suggestion into consideration and tried it and it worked so I ran with it.

Now in your case keep in mind IF you choose to INCREASE your LOP you may or may not find a change in your shots. In my case I pretty much started from scratch being both rigs were new. In your case you may want to consider making "ONE CHANGE AT A TIME" and watching your results closely.

Hope this makes sense as well.

Call me crazy - I went through this when I initially took my rig and went prone on her in my living room late one night. I removed spacers, mounted Spuhr and Scope. I dry fired as if in the field and when I took breaks I stood on her but put my head to the side and relaxed, same as I would in field. She stood swallowed in my chest entire time. Little by little I made changes based on what I felt. Did it so long I actually fell asleep on my rig. Wife woke when she noticed I wasn't in bed and found me asleep in middle of living room on my new toy. :D She said she caught me sleeping with my new chick and went back to bed. ;)

In my case it was all worth it. Just as 'Big Al' said, groups turned out tighter, accuracy improved and follow ups were smoother.

I'm happy!!!

Thanks for the explanation Tristian, and looking at your pic more closely I can see that the scopes are pushed back (towards the buttstock). I will certainly proceed with one change at a time and will check to see if it changes the performance. Honestly, I would love to meet up and get the opportunity to shoot with you in the future. That Lapua is one sweet rifle and a beastly round also. Its actually on my bucket list to shoot one (that and a .50) haha. I'm happy that it worked out for you so well, and actually I am curious. How do you like the Spuhr mount? Was it worth the money?

7SHTR

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation Tristian, and looking at your pic more closely I can see that the scopes are pushed back (towards the buttstock). I will certainly proceed with one change at a time and will check to see if it changes the performance. Honestly, I would love to meet up and get the opportunity to shoot with you in the future. That Lapua is one sweet rifle and a beastly round also. Its actually on my bucket list to shoot one (that and a .50) haha. I'm happy that it worked out for you so well, and actually I am curious. How do you like the Spuhr mount? Was it worth the money?

7SHTR

PM Sent.

I like my Sphur Mounts. They worked out very well for me. Company was great to deal with. I stripped one of my heads upon first mount. I emailed Spuhr for cost of four replacements. They replied within 24 and asked for my address. I had four replacements within five days or so - No charge. Granted for price of Spuhr I would think they should not have charged BUT truth is stripping was my fault. Because of this I did not think twice when purchasing second. Would purchase a third if ever needed. I also use the built-in level ALL THE TIME.

Costly but Great product!!!

May want to take a look at how your rifle is setup. I check to make sure I can get behind the rifle with my eyes closed and get a proper cheek weld, if you open your eyes and have a proper sigh picture in your natural position, your good. If you are trying to strain, choke up on the optic, or anything to require getting a good sight picture, you need to rework something. If you still have issues, you can check your LOP as mentioned, average starting point is 13.5". Next, you may need to try taller rings and raise the cheek height.

Thanks Captain, and as far as rifle setup its a factory bone stock Savage Trophy Hunter (other than addition of bipod and slip on recoil pad). I will surely try that the next time I get a chance. I'm thinking maybe switching to a straight comb stock could help possibly as well.