• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt not fitting carrier.

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
So I just received a JP enhanced bolt (223/5.56), and have had a carrier made by Kies Firearms (NiB plated). When I went to assemble the BCG, my bolt wont fit into the carrier far enough to insert the cam pin. Opening for the cam pin in the bolt barely fully reaches the front of the cut-out for the cam pin in the carrier...nowhere close to the back of the cut-out in the carrier so i can drop the pin in. I've pushed hard enough that I can then barely pull the bolt back out from the carrier. I tried without the gas rings on the bolt and still no go, so I broke out the calipers.
On the JP bolt, I measured that collar between the locking lugs and the cam pin hole, and found it to be .526" I then measured the inside diameter of the carrier, and found it to be .530" +/- .001"
So....
is one out of spec?
both in spec, but the bolt towards the large end, and carrier towards the small end?
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

It's probably the nib coating. I had an r guns carrier that was nib coated and had the same problem. Nib bcg's are all smoke and mirrors, you don't need it. Get a bcm or equivalent and be done with it.

Is the extractor pin sticking out one side a little too far?

In the carrier-
The hole for the tail of the bolt should be .250"
The hole for the rings .500
the front part as you noted .528-.530

Always buy as an assembly from same mfr for best results. I, too have had problems with plated parts but have always been able to find parts ffom the bin that will work together. Sell the carrier and get a JP carrier!