• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt on 700 5R

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
I have a Remington 700 5R in .300wm. After firing and trying to open the bolt, it is difficult to pull the bolt back. Almost like something is binding it up. Rifle is like new, less than 100 rounds. This is factory ammo, no pressure signs. At first I thought it may be the bolt not fully lifted to unlock the lugs. Any ideas?

My guess is probably a primary extraction issue. A lot of newer Remingtons have issues with your problem. I would send it to chad at long rifles inc. to time the bolt correctly.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Has it always been hard to cycle the bolt after it was shot or did it just start? If it just started, have you cleaned the rifle? 300s need to be cleaned.

It's usually an issue with the brass. Exactly what factory ammo are you using and does it stick with other types/brands of ammo?

Clean the chamber if you haven't already and try using some quality ammo. Remington 5R's are well put together and a big step above all the other 700 production models. Doubt it's the action.

First was shooting cheap win. Just to get the scope close. I have some hornady match to shoot through it now.