• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt or semi auto for a new shooter?

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
I'm about to get my nephew his first real gun and want it to be a .22 rifle. I remember learning to shoot using a Sears bolt action .22 (for anyone not old enough to remember, there really was a Sears branded rifle, though I think it was made by Remington for Sears) and I'm thinking that a bolt is the best way to get a 7 year old into the basics of good marksmanship and safety. I'd be happy to hear any opinions pro or con on this approach.

Re: Bolt or semi auto for a new shooter?

I think for seven year old you are correct in the bolt action direction. Now, finding a rifle that will fit him? there is not many on the market but the Keystone Crickett comes to mind. It's a single shot bolt action youth rifle. I also understand they're pretty accurate shooters.

You may want to check the local gun shops as well for used youth rifles. Remember, he'll grow out of the Crickett (or any youth rifle) after a while. So maybe a used rifle is the best way to go?

BOLT ! There is just something about working a bolt that helps you concentrate on the basics and analyze your shot. Jeff Cooper called it the semi auto syndrome ( or something to that affect ). People will tend to squeeze off a bad shot , knowing they can follow up quickly with another round if they have a semiauto but will take a fraction of a second longer with a bolt and make good hits. Kids need to learn to hit not spray and pray. It is also safer having a bolt gun , esp for new shooters.

david

I have the Cricket and don't like it. Sights are crud, it locks if you handle it wrong and requires a key to unlock it. Likewise, impossible to remove action from stock without a special tool.

I think the Savage Cub is a better mini-shooter rifle, especially since it can be restocked once it's outgrown, which happens quicker than one might imagine. The same for the MK-IIGY.

You can train on a semi, but it's harder to teach fire discipline.

Greg

http://www.crickett.com/product_info.php?products_id=265&osCsid=pui5rikoqotrtfrcf8pakg41u6

Those Crickett's are pretty cool little rifles. Bolt action, single shot, and you have to manually cock them from the rear of the bolt. I have one, identical looking, but called a chipmunk, that I've had since I was 5. Surprising how well the little things shoot and hold up.

Now they make a scope and mount especially for that line, sold under the same name.

Very easy to find this time of year, around here anyway. My dealer has them for ~$125 I think.

i had a bolt action single shot .22short/LR with iron sights as my first rifle when I was six.

CZ Scout, though even the short kid's stock may need shortening.
There are Tech Sights available for the receiver and the front.

I got a 10/22 for my first rifle. Still have it and shoot it whenever I can. Of course I was 18 and bought it myself.

Did shoot air rifles before that though, and I can tell you, a person really takes careful aim after he finishes pumping up a gun 10 times and hand loading the pellet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I remember learning to shoot using a Sears bolt action .22 (for anyone not old enough to remember, there really was a Sears branded rifle, though I think it was made by Remington for Sears) </div></div>

A number of companies made guns for Sears to sell under their J. C. Higgins brand name. I have a single shot Sears .22 from 1952 or so that has to be manually cocked. You might want to check to see if your nephew can manage the cocking knob since a slip will result in a misfire (I know from experience). A rifle that cocks when the bolt is closed but also engages the safety might be a better bet. Also watch out when giving a right handed rifle to a left handed or left eyed shooter.

One thing to watch for with youth rifles: weight. Though the Savages and CZ youth rifles may be "better", you really have to watch the weight of these rifles, as some of them are over 7 pounds, which is likely far too large for a 7 year old. The Chipmunk or Crickett are both just 2.5 pounds and great for a little kid to use. Most of the "Youth" rifles are really made for 10 year olds, or perhaps even older than that. The savage thumbhole youth rifle is 36" long and weighs 3.5 lbs. The Mark I GY Youth is 37" long and 5 lbs. The Cricketts are designed to be first rifles for very young shooters (I'll start my boy on a .22 when he's about 4 or so). Very likely, unless I see something better, the Crickett with Thumbhole stock and Stainless Bull Barrel.

Rather than worry about being able to replace the stock and other parts on a gun for a 7 year old, buy one that fits without question in both weight and length, then when he/she gets old enough, buy a larger rifle. There's simply no need to build a glorified trainer rifle for a 7 year old.

You can get a good look at the many youth rifles here

I'd say a bolt-gun for learning the basics.

My first rifle was a .22 Remington 12 pump, handed down) from my grandfather.

I just bought a Chipmunk .22 Stainless Steel Bull Barrel (16") with a thumbhole stock for my son. Even if it's too heavy as a first gun, I'll get him a "regular" chipmunk or crickett which is a scant 2.5 lbs. Though I didn't buy it from this site, you can check out the specs here.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I'm going to take the nephew to the local gun store to see how some of the bolt rifles fit him. There's nothing like the excitement in a kid's face when they learn that they're getting their first gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to all for the great advice. I'm going to take the nephew to the local gun store to see how some of the bolt rifles fit him. There's nothing like the excitement in a kid's face when they learn that they're getting their first gun. </div></div>

Yee haw!!!

I can tell you that I can't wait to give my son his first gun. He's not there yet, but in the next 2 or 3 years we'll be there.

I did, however, get him the NXT Generation Shotgun and various targets to get him started on gun safety early. I can't wait to go on some simulated deer and turkey hunts in the back yard (5 acres).

I bought a Savage Cub for my boy when he turned 5 years old. He adored it. When comparing the Cricket or Chipmunk to the Cub there is no comparison. The Cub is so much better made.

Now my Son is almost eight and he can shoot my Savage MkII pretty well from prone and shoots the Cub offhand.

Well, I ended up going a different route...Since I have a C&R, I found a Brno .22 ZKM468 and bought it. It may need some work to fit the kid, but as a fallback I can always keep it as my own...

I learned the basics on a .177 pump up pellet rifle. We lived where I couldn't shot a .22lr. I learned that I must make the first shot count cause no follow ups with a pump up pellet rifle. I killed doves/rabbit/squarrils/ and about 20 feral cats at a new house we moved into. The people living around us didn't know how to take a 8yo taking out these wild cats. But after they were gone they seemed to be ok with it. I was about 16yo before we lived somewhere I could shoot a 22lr.

Don't get me wrong starting a youngster out with a 22lr is a great way to begin. Just have to remember a 22lr can go along way.

The local gun shop sells the Cricket rifles and even has mil-
dot scopes that are made for it. I have shot his grandsons and they are good little rifles. I have even seen one in the local wal-mart. I think the Cricket would fit the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learned the basics on a .177 pump up pellet rifle. We lived where I couldn't shot a .22lr. I learned that I must make the first shot count cause no follow ups with a pump up pellet rifle. I killed doves/rabbit/squarrils/ and about 20 feral cats at a new house we moved into. The people living around us didn't know how to take a 8yo taking out these wild cats. But after they were gone they seemed to be ok with it. </div></div>

ME TOO.....the crossman7600. shot at the little plastic green army guys in the basement, open sights. best damn gun i've ever owned or will ever own. the piston went bad in it after a couple million shots. if i can contribute any shooting skill i've ever had to one "rifle", it would be that one.

was driving down the street a few years back, and seen a rifle stock stickin out of a pile of stuff at the curb. i couldn't resist, went back pulled it out and guess what? a crossman 7600 10 pump bb gun. i use it off my porch now to paractice smallbore silhoutte stance.

i have some pretty neat stuff, but that crossman is still at the top of the list of favorite "rifles".

sorry went off topic there, i vote for the bolt also.

I picked up the Chipmunk rifle today, and it is a dandy one. It's not your average Chipmunk/Crickett, but a match grade one!

It's tiny, but has all of the amenities: 16" Stainless Bull Barrel, beautiful laminate thumbhole stock, as well as all of the safety features like single shot, cocking pin (the bolt doesn't actually do anything other than allow the shooter to put a bullet in the chamber; the cocking pin actually coks the gun and makes it ready to fire). It's about the "cutest" gun I've ever seen.

He's not ready for it yet. In fact, because it has a bull barrel, there are no options for a sight (scope only), it won't even be his first gun. That will very likely be a classic walnut Chipmunk with open sights. Once he gets pretty good at that, we'll being out the scope.

Buy the CZ 452 Scout it may be a little more expensive, but it will retain its value much better. People have even used the 452 action in 22lr bench rest guns its that good. Most of the youth 22lr rifles are just toys. When he grows up it will make a really handy survival rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learned the basics on a .177 pump up pellet rifle. We lived where I couldn't shot a .22lr. I learned that I must make the first shot count cause no follow ups with a pump up pellet rifle. I killed doves/rabbit/squarrils/ and about 20 feral cats at a new house we moved into. The people living around us didn't know how to take a 8yo taking out these wild cats. But after they were gone they seemed to be ok with it. </div></div>

ME TOO.....the crossman7600. shot at the little plastic green army guys in the basement, open sights. best damn gun i've ever owned or will ever own. the piston went bad in it after a couple million shots. if i can contribute any shooting skill i've ever had to one "rifle", it would be that one.

was driving down the street a few years back, and seen a rifle stock stickin out of a pile of stuff at the curb. i couldn't resist, went back pulled it out and guess what? a crossman 7600 10 pump bb gun. i use it off my porch now to paractice smallbore silhoutte stance.

i have some pretty neat stuff, but that crossman is still at the top of the list of favorite "rifles".

sorry went off topic there, i vote for the bolt also.
</div></div>

ditto. i was the first kid to stick a scope on mine too. great starter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Henry Lever action is the way I would go. </div></div>

A guy I met at a local gun shop yesterday bought his son, a 13 year old, a Henry lever action as his first rifle. It just may be the way to go, for the fun aspect at least.

I LOVE my Marlin 925C .22 bolt action.
List of Mods (All done by me)
Free floated barrel
Polished bolt
Center Point Red/Green scope
Wally World sling
Rock Mount Bipod
BSA Light/Laser Combo
104_0409.jpg

Yesturday I was plinking a soda can at 200 yards with ease.
104_0411.jpg

104_0314.jpg

104_0318.jpg

Definitely bolt. I remember shooting my first rifle (.22LR) when I was a little kid. I enjoyed working the bolt. It was fun and just added more to the experience I guess. Also, I'm sure you teach him well, but I feel with a bolt as apposed to a semi you have much less of a chance of a potentially serious accident since you can only fire once before having to work the action in order to fire again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I LOVE my Marlin 925C .22 bolt action.
Free floated barrel
Polished bolt
Wally World sling
Rock Mount Bipod
BSA Light/Laser Combo
104_0409.jpg

104_0411.jpg

104_0314.jpg

104_0318.jpg
</div></div>

Lights and lasers on a .22?

How tacticool of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I LOVE my Marlin 925C .22 bolt action.
Free floated barrel
Polished bolt
Wally World sling
Rock Mount Bipod
BSA Light/Laser Combo
104_0409.jpg

104_0411.jpg

104_0314.jpg

104_0318.jpg
</div></div>

Lights and lasers on a .22?

How tacticool of you. </div></div>
Yeah.. Its set up like that for coon / bobcat but havent taken it yet.

I gave my Uncle a single shot CR rifle for his older 2 boys, they're 6 and 4. I had 2 of them, completely disassembled them both and refinished only 1 before projects came up. I gave it to him in kit form as a project to do with the boys as a Christmas present.

If you're interested in a Remington 41A Targetmaster let me know. It's a short LOP bolt action single shot, manual cock with irons. Very nice wood, good condition finish, made in the mid 30's, I dated it to about 1934.

Shoots very nicely, I can rest it to 2" groups at 100y in calm weather. We can figure out a price

Thanks to everyone for their input, here's a picture of the nephew with the Brno that I ended up getting for him. He'll have to grow into it a bit but he was really excited to be a first time gun owner.

llgun.jpg