• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Rifle and QD suppressor?

bigbovine

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
TN
Does anyone run a QD suppressor on a bolt rifle? I have been looking into getting a 20" barrel bolt rifle and was planning on a thread on suppressor. The Dealer I usually buy from only has YHM QD 308 cans. When he told me that, First thing I thought was how ugly that would be. Then I remembered I aint worried about looks, which made me rethink the whole build. The barrel will be a bull type heavy , so will a heavier suppressor do me or the barrel harm? Will the QD mount effect accuracy, and will it be any different unthreading the can versus taking off from the quick detach as far as pressure being put on the barrel during this process? I do not "Plan" on using this can on any other rifle, This is going to be dedicated use and will only take off for hunting, maybe. As a side note , other than weight, whats the big deal with the Titanium cans.

Re: Bolt Rifle and QD suppressor?

As long as you are using a reasonably substantial barrel, the heavier suppressor should not be a big consideration except in very long periods of time.

The system's effects to the accuracy of the platform depends on the quality of both the mount and the suppressor's repeatability in actually attaching.

I dont have experience with the YHM QD system so I cant really comment on that type specifically.

And Titanium cans can withstand to a greater degree the pressure, debris, harmonics, etc associated with firing repeatedly through them. All suppressors wear to some degree with each round fired. Just as a barrel made of higher quality components and coatings will better withstand the nasty crap associated with the firing of a bullet down range, so too will stiffer and more resilient materials improve the longevity of the suppressor.

Friend of mine has a QD on a .223 bolt action. Easy on and off, looks kinda funny with the can off, but like you said who cares about how it looks. Can on or off, it is a 1/2 MOA gun. The can does change POI some, don't think that is related to QD or threaded.

madd0c

I have the can in question and I have it on a .308 bolt. Yes, the flash suppressor (QD) makes it look like a SOCOM when the can is not on, but otherwise fits fine.

The YHM can is a work horse. Not the best sound suppression money can buy, but probably the best $/decibel reduction in that caliber. QD mount is tight and easy to use.

The added weight will change your POI, but that's true for pretty much any can. The YHM on QD's change is repeatable, so you can set your scope on it. Zero at 100yds with the can on, then hold under a bit when you take the can off.

If you are going to have a heavier can, you should think about shorter barrel length. Mine is 18.5".

My other .308 has a dedicated suppressor, such as you were contemplating in the first place. The suppressor only comes off to fit in the bag.

I already have the YHM for my 223 AR so I am familier with the ease of use, plus I am using a red dot on it so POI means nothing on it really. For the money it works fine which is why I am looking at its bigger brother, though not dead set on it yet. As far as POI, as long as it still hits Minute Of Pie Plate, I am good for what I am doing. Not making this a Long Ranger, although it may be possible in the future. Most hunting shots within 200 yards, but do have a spot on the farm that is about 900 yards if I wish to use it, the 300 range is easier to set up in.

I like a regular thread with a cap. Looks great when the cap is on and mounts perfectly when you thread it. What is the utility of a QD? Why would you need to quickly remove it: overrated IMHO.

check out SAS suppressors,tim makes the finest QD(doubles as muzzle break)and can out in my opinion and so does alot of elite military units and the maker of the finest sniper rifles in the world.